Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Noticeably more aggressive diving the N/stream out of Ontario though - that's allllmost ominous. 

The problem (the way I see things...) is that the total trough space, inside of which the N/stream and S/stream are flirting with having integration, is progressive and doing so too fast.   They ultimately do phase, but the playground itself has move away from our area before it means much here. 

This is actually a hemispheric problem, too.  Every thing on that chart is bodily moving unusually fast down stream. 

I'm not sure if this can modulate better ... I mean it's 7 days away.  But even 6 hours slower and a slightly fast N/stream plunge is pretty much all that would take to clip the coast from NYC-PWM with the season's first

Tip, I'm really confused with all the model runs the last few days I think it was you and others a few days ago or so, "sniff" something to watch around 1/5, then, and I could be wrong, I thought I read somewhere pages back, that the 1/5 was gone, and now a possible 1/8 or 1/9, another words did 1/5 disappear this am, and is now popping up ? What is going on with models, or is shit just moving too fast, seems a lot of clutter...

15 minutes ago, 512high said:

Tip, I'm really confused with all the model runs the last few days I think it was you and others a few days ago or so, "sniff" something to watch around 1/5, then, and I could be wrong, I thought I read somewhere pages back, that the 1/5 was gone, and now a possible 1/8 or 1/9, another words did 1/5 disappear this am, and is now popping up ? What is going on with models, or is shit just moving too fast, seems a lot of clutter...

1/5 got weaker on guidance yesterday but it has come back much stronger today. 1/7-8 has been pretty weak on OP runs today (though 12z GFS tried to clip us) but stronger on the ensembles. 

Both are still a ways out. We’re talking 6+ days away for 1/5 and 9 days for the following system.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

If true , I think the anger may subside and defeat takes over , defeated weenies who can’t rise up 

Yea. Ive become numb to it. The 80s were bad but without the internet, we weren’t checking models multiple times a day to see when it would turn around. So you just expected suck and was pleasantly surprised when TWC put up an advisory for 2-4”. 

And If we do manage someday a model to spit out 2-4” at D6, it’s going to be a wild and anxious ride for it to pan out. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, 512high said:

Model performance hasn't been stellar the last several weeks really.  Lot of false leads that smeared into oblivion.  It's not really 'expected' that models perform well with entities that emerge beyond D7 but even relative to that expectation ... this has been a bad month. 

Having said that, the 1/5 system ... yes I did mention last week that would be 'probably' the higher likeliness.   Since then, what you are observing is that poor handling where aspects seem to disappear and re-appear head-game.   There's been large scaled indicators that pointed in general to Dec 28 thru Jan 8..10.   So we're moving through the period of interesting now with ho-hum model continuity with these particular dates. 

Short answer yes around 1/5.  But 1/7...1/8 is still in play.   My hunch is that 1/5 or the latter will become dominant over the next 2 or 3 days of modeling, but not both.   There is a slim chance they'll both disappear altogether.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea. Ive become numb to it. The 80s were bad but without the internet, we weren’t checking models multiple times a day to see when it would turn around. So you just expected suck and was pleasantly surprised when TWC put up an advisory for 2-4”. 

And If we do manage someday a model to spit out 2-4” at D6, it’s going to be a wild and anxious ride for it to pan out. 

10 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

Barry Burbank liked to use the gorilla reference as well. Loved Mark Rosenthal 

And even pre-TWC (we didn’t get cable until late ‘93 though my grandparents had it a couple years earlier) You would just wait until the local news came on and when you saw the snow symbols on the map you immediately perked up

IMG_9993.jpeg.c5265ac144325b48919fe2e600af43b4.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

And even pre-TWC (we didn’t get cable until late ‘93 though my grandparents had it a couple years earlier) You would just wait until the local news came on and when you saw the snow symbols on the map you immediately perked up

I miss Dickie who used to say "just ducky" for forecasting beautiful sunny days 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 512high said:

1/4-1/10 was always showing up as a shot at something, sigs popping up and disappearing, but unfortunately we don't have cold source until maybe the second of them and that looked suppressed to me, still time though for either of these, and how those waves will effect each other a nice phase with a good HP in S Quebec would be great to lighten moods and bring some from the cliff about now, maybe even stop the cancellation of winter on 12/29...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I would anticipate snow in interior elevations if that takes a solid track , we would need some sort of solid High pressure and some luck for that to be snow for many in SNE (I think )

Well the Pope seems to think if it misses us to the south, that Mid Atlantic snows. So if that’s the case, if it comes a little further north, then it will snow here too, if it snows in South Jersey lol. 

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

I remember Don Kents map on a chalkboard and when he drew those snowflakes with white chalk, I got excited.

• Like 3