Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

16 minutes ago, Modfan2 said:

I thought this in October at some point we are going to go through a prolonged dry period and I thought it would be winter, but clearly not. We might be looking at a dry spring 

I mean with the El Niño backdrop it makes sense to have the high precip amounts; but we’re at record levels.

I see it differently- El Niño conditions will persist, we know that. We can’t get every 2”+ rain producer on the continent and also expect the cold interludes to consistently track the big snow producers over our heads. The p anomalies in this regard would be insane. It’s a bad bet. 

The very stormy pattern for us is when it’s warm. Very warm. That continues to be the case. That’s balanced by brief periods of seasonal cold and dry.

I’d get excited about a comeback if the warm/wet storms weren’t so goddamn warm. 

I mean, the calendar won’t help us when it’s been 5-10 degrees above freezing, generally. You need wholesale changes. 

You overlay what has happened storm-wise (take a mean) at peak winter climo and it’s still trash.

Maybe this changes in a month, but right now the persistence forecast is near as bad as it gets for winter-weather.

• Like 3

Just now, jbenedet said:

I’d get excited about a comeback if the warm/wet storms weren’t so goddamn warm. 

I mean, the calendar won’t help us when it’s been 5-10 degrees above freezing, generally. You need wholesale changes. 

You overlay what has happened storm-wise (take a mean) at peak winter climo and it’s still trash.

Maybe this changes in a month, but right now the persistence forecast is near as bad as it gets for winter-weather.

Months ago the talk was this winter can’t be worse than last winter.  That theory is being tested.  

• Like 3

Just now, cleetussnow said:

Months ago the talk was this winter can’t be worse than last winter.  That theory is being tested.  

Well we have 3 months before we know if it’s worse.  Here, that would be a very difficult feat to be worse than last year, but anything is possible. So at the end of March we can evaluate it.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jbenedet said:

I’m very interested to know how many El Niños had strong comebacks due to pattern changes vs taking the p anomalies and existing storm tracks and throwing them into peak winter climo. If —and that’s a big if—it’s most of the latter, we’re in big trouble.

Most of them are significantly colder. Look at January and esp February temp anomalies in El Niño…a lot of those comeback years had like -6 departures in February. Years like 2007 and 1958…of course 2015 is the extreme example when Feb 2015 became the coldest month on record for a number of places round here. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

I’m very interested to know how many El Niños had strong comebacks due to pattern changes vs taking the p anomalies and existing storm tracks and throwing them into peak winter climo. If —and that’s a big if—it’s most of the latter, we’re in big trouble.

Even 2007 and 1995 had nice stretches in February...I had a foot of snow in early Feb 1995. The only one that sucked through to the end was 1991-1992.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Absolute monster for Nova Scotia.

That one is def worth watching. Close call…get a little more neg tilt on that sucker and it would be a pretty big storm for eastern areas. 

Still watching 1/7 too but that one needs a bit more work. Would help if we had a northern stream shortwave trying to dive into it as it hits the east coast to turn it north. 

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That one is def worth watching. Close call…get a little more neg tilt on that sucker and it would be a pretty big storm for eastern areas. 

Still watching 1/7 too but that one needs a bit more work. Would help if we had a northern stream shortwave trying to dive into it as it hits the east coast to turn it north. 

Late trend like that is how January 2015 began.......the famous "Not Happening, James (RIP)".

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Ensembles say the same. Won’t take much I don’t think. 

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Late trend like that is how January 2015 began.......the famous "Not Happening, James (RIP)".

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Let's December 1976 that bitch...

Yeah many of those “non-major teleconnector” storms have late trends. Hopefully we can squeeze on of these into an ideal track. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I mean, can we catch some kind of break there?  You’d think at some point something would go in our favor? 

You’d think but we haven’t gotten many breaks in the past 4-6 winter months going back to Feb 2022…I guess for your area it’s longer since you kind of got skunked by the Jan 2022 blizzard. 

We’ll see on these two systems. 

• Like 1