Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024

wdrag

19 minutes ago, Will - Rutgers said:

my god that really was one of my top 5 craziest weather events

I talk about that day to people as an absolute anomaly and they just look at me as if everything I said was never said. Like one of the MIB guys came by and flashed them as I mentioned it. 

10 minutes ago, Nibor said:

I talk about that day to people as an absolute anomaly and they just look at me as if everything I said was never said. Like one of the MIB guys came by and flashed them as I mentioned it. 

really bodes well for the future

9 minutes ago, NittanyWx said:

Welp, good to see absolutely no one took my MJO comments to heart this week 

i think you did great

3 hours ago, Will - Rutgers said:

my god that really was one of my top 5 craziest weather events

People will think its just great. Trust me. I'd say they'd break out the shorts, but if you have noticed, many young men wear shorts all year now. There was this whole article on it, with teachers saying they all know a couple of these kids....accompanied by a picture of a young man shoveling snow, in shorts.....later that day my daughter's boyfriend showed up...in shorts. This is recently. I have an entire arsenal of boots, lined pants, socks, waterproof and insulated shoes etc. Despite all that and slathering a bottle of moisturizer twice a day on my skin, I go to bed itching all winter. So some warmth will help my suffering I guess.

• Like 1

No thread yet on what I think is a probable late Sat-Monday morning rain end as a bit of ice or snow NYC Sunday night or Monday.  So far insignificant for LI most of NJ (less than 1/2" snow) but it's in play for ice or snow hazards I84 corridor which for me is the Poconos,  nw NJ (Sussex County) through interior se NYS on up to MA.  00z/23 EPS has heaviest snow and ice north of I90 while GEFS-CMCE a little closer to I84 and all steady or increasing amounts.   If it continues on this course I wont thread. if it slips closer to NYC, I will, but confidence yet on anything significant NYC-LI is well below average.  Still worthy of monitoring,   

If the short term situation eventually involves ice LI, will add a thread, otherwise no threads from myself for now.

• Like 4

Even in this new era of warmth extremes, what is showing up to start February is way beyond what we have ever seen during an El Niño February. The highly amplified MJO over the WPAC is flipping the script. This would be extreme for December let alone in February when El Niño’s are supposed to be cold. Ridiculous how far into Canada the above freezing line gets pushed. 

22412767-FE63-4EF1-B21C-BF1034D5EEDA.thumb.png.df519a65670867039eed84814a877c2e.png
7F8852D2-9897-4B26-8AA6-A2D727F46BEC.thumb.png.397c0b3461cf70184224fc51be63d4b9.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Even in this new era of warmth extremes, what is showing up to start February is way beyond what we have ever seen during an El Niño February. The highly amplified MJO over the WPAC is flipping the script. This would be extreme for December let alone in February when El Niño’s are supposed to be cold. Ridiculous how far into Canada the above freezing line gets pushed. 

22412767-FE63-4EF1-B21C-BF1034D5EEDA.thumb.png.df519a65670867039eed84814a877c2e.png
7F8852D2-9897-4B26-8AA6-A2D727F46BEC.thumb.png.397c0b3461cf70184224fc51be63d4b9.png

Are we ever going to have a cold and snowy winter again ? This is getting ridiculous. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bluewave said:

we need to declare war on the Pacific Ocean and start dumping liquid helium into it (as well as into the Atlantic)

14 minutes ago, bluewave said:

that map says 46 degrees though? that's not extremely warm at all

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, bluewave said:

It will be very hard to flip the script on that look to a cold/snowy one before winter is over 

44 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I see a very noticeable strato/troposphere decoupling over the pole which is again leading to a TPV displacement and polar air being shunted away from NA.  We had the opposite occur in mid January. 

In an extremely warm climate year globally it makes sense that warm patterns are more extreme.  But this is being exacerbated by the displacement and erosion of source region and the lack of snowpack recovery accordingly.

It makes less physical sense that this is primarily an MJO byproduct.  You're ignoring several large pieces of the puzzle.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NittanyWx said:

I see a very noticeable strato/troposphere decoupling over the pole which is again leading to a TPV displacement and polar air being shunted away from NA.

In an extremely warm climate year globally it makes sense that warm patterns are more extreme.  But this is being exacerbated by the displacement and erosion of source region and the lack of snowpack recovery accordingly.

It makes less physical sense that this is primarily an MJO byproduct.  You're ignoring several large pieces of the puzzle.

It’s a combination of the record SSTs in the WPAC for such a strong  El Niño and the El Niño itself. So we get MJO action which when combined with El Niño is very warm. As these MJOs progress eastward they excite the +EAMT leading to the Pacific Jet extensions. So just looking at one specific MJO phase composite probably won’t be adequate. This most recent Jet extension will take a few weeks to play out. Hoping we can see some improvements by mid-February relative to the start.

• Like 1

If @bluewaveand other MJO folks want to argue amplification of the MJO in p6-p7 is driving the bus, that's fine.  I'm gonna point out that the VP anomaly signal during this supposed 'lag' period that folks were trying to sell is

1) Nowhere near as prolonged and intense as late Novy

2) Displaced further west in the 'lag' period.

3)  Not getting 'stuck' or 'slowing down' and again the VP signal is progressive.

I admire the dedication to the cause though.   I once again am gonna throw a challenge flag on this.  I understand the argument, I've read the research and even a cursory look at the current observations via their own methodology is not lining up.

ECMWF-EPS_hovmollerVP200_5_f360.thumb.png.92ce2f973e2c5ce76479b2330a58927f.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bluewave said:

It’s a combination of the record SSTs in the WPAC for such a strong  El Niño and the El Niño itself. So we get MJO action which when combined with El Niño is very warm. As these MJOs progress eastward they excite the +EAMT leading to the Pacific Jet extensions. So just looking at one specific MJO phase composite probably won’t be adequate. This most recent Jet extension will take a few weeks to play out. Hoping we can see some improvements by mid-February relative to the start.

The arctic region shifts cannot be adequately explained by El Nino, warm SSTs and tropical forcing alone.  And we've already determined the lagged MJO h5 charts via Roundy argued for more blocking in this period.

You're practicing selective verification here.

• Like 3