• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Sunday, December 17 - Monday, December 18, 2023 Storm

weatherwiz

Actually surprised this did not get a name (Vince), have seen less impressive storms named in season. Took four months to get a TS designation on Atlantic January storm, so maybe same lag with (eventual) Vince. 

Can see basis for dispute over wind speeds, but given the nearly STS nature of almost - Vince, I would be very reluctant to downgrade wind speeds based on global model isobars alone. All day long there have been gusts over 65mph ahead of developing southern center (it is going twin-centered o/n). West of CT River and central LI, I can see a good argument for reducing wind gust forecasts, at least beyond 15z. East of that I would go with Kev's estimates or at least an average of Kev and 007. Gradient actually increases later in day for maine,  New  hampshire. 

Would expect svr wx potential e CT, n RI and parts of se ma towards 18z, even slgt tor risk. 

Given severe component, some location will gust to 80-100 mph but at airport wx stations? It will likely be some place without official measurements but verifiable based on wind damage. 

8 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

Actually surprised this did not get a name (Vince), have seen less impressive storms named in season. Took four months to get a TS designation on Atlantic January storm, so maybe same lag with (eventual) Vince. 

Can see basis for dispute over wind speeds, but given the nearly STS nature of almost - Vince, I would be very reluctant to downgrade wind speeds based on global model isobars alone. All day long there have been gusts over 65mph ahead of developing southern center (it is going twin-centered o/n). West of CT River and central LI, I can see a good argument for reducing wind gust forecasts, at least beyond 15z. East of that I would go with Kev's estimates or at least an average of Kev and 007. Gradient actually increases later in day for maine,  New  hampshire. 

Would expect svr wx potential e CT, n RI and parts of se ma towards 18z, even slgt tor risk. 

Given severe component, some location will gust to 80-100 mph but at airport wx stations? It will likely be some place without official measurements but verifiable based on wind damage. 

WTTE

Just now, BrianW said:

I think BDR,HVN and GON see 60+

Low level wind anomalies are 5-6SD
above normal which is maxed out relative to climatology for this time of year, and PWAT anomalies are 4-5SD above normal. This is a very strong signal for an anomalous wind and rain event

There’s a saying.. lead a gift horse to water..but can’t make em drink 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Obs from the Carolina’s, say this is real. Very impressive for a non tropical event down there. And the seas are just nuts, with a huge fetch. 27’ at 14 seconds off South Carolina doesn’t happen often. 

Actually mentioned something very similar in my AFD update. 

The 00z raobs had about 65 kt at 925 at MHX, and 55 kt at WAL. The NAM forecast for the same hour was about 10 kt too high. But the RAP is pretty close. The RAP still brings a LLJ around 100 kt into the Gulf of Maine tomorrow, so that would give me a few hours midday of 50 kt gusts around the office.

Typically if the coast is going to get high wind warning, we also rip at the office.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

The 00z raobs had about 65 kt at 925 at MHX, and 55 kt at WAL. The NAM forecast for the same hour was about 10 kt too high. But the RAP is pretty close. The RAP still brings a LLJ around 100 kt into the Gulf of Maine tomorrow, so that would give me a few hours midday of 50 kt gusts around the office.

Typically if the coast is going to get high wind warning, we also rip at the office.

I saw you put it up in the last update..

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

No . Mine is blocked by trees . I live in the woods 

So how would you know what you gusted too?  Not trying to be an ass but if you say you’ll gust to 65 (or whatever), how do you know what it is?  Hear the roar and if branches come down it was 65?

IMO wind is the most over-estimated weather observation out there. There is a lot of tossing locally measured values in favor of the highest measured values elsewhere.

Gusting 40mph in the interior forests is very strong.  That’ll bring down some stuff.  But 60+ seems overblown.  The NWS forecasts look good.  People under-estimate the damage that can occur from 40mph with warm, wet ground.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

What is this RRFS-A model

index (1).png

14 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

So how would you know what you gusted too?  Not trying to be an ass but if you say you’ll gust to 65 (or whatever), how do you know what it is?  Hear the roar and if branches come down it was 65?

IMO wind is the most over-estimated weather observation out there. There is a lot of tossing locally measured values in favor of the highest measured values elsewhere.

Gusting 40mph in the interior forests is very strong.  That’ll bring down some stuff.  But 60+ seems overblown.  The NWS forecasts look good.  People under-estimate the damage that can occur from 40mph with warm, wet ground.

Beaufort 

Beaufort Scale.jpeg

• Thanks 1