• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Moderate-High Impact Storm Noon Sun Dec 17, 2023 - 4PM Mon Dec 18. Flooding rain I95 corridor northwestward, coastal tidal flooding, brief periods of damaging 50 MPH+ wind gusts LI/CT Monday, ends as a little wet snow interior elevations Tue morning.

wdrag

48 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

The funny part is that reading about 2-4, 3-6, up to as much as 7, on December 17th, if I just stumbled in here I would be sure we were talking about snow totals.

Looks like we're going to be thisclose to getting our new obligatory, irritating, annual Christmas week 60 degree reading tomorrow.

What is it about the annual solstice torch that just keeps repeating year after year?  Fluke coincidence it must be or is there something else systematic here going on that gives this such a high degree of consistency and predictability?  I mean, what are the odds?  Coming from a relative layman here in the weather forum. 

• Like 2

What is it about the annual solstice torch that just keeps repeating year after year?  Fluke coincidence it must be or is there something else systematic here going on that gives this such a high degree of consistency and predictability?  I mean, what are the odds?  Coming from a relative layman here in the weather forum. 

We need to slap the wood paneling on the simulation.

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

52 minutes ago, White Gorilla said:

I think we just notice it more because it happens around the holidays but I don't think the frequency is any greater than any other particular day. Going back to 2014 every December has had at least 1 day >55 between the 19th and the 30th but rarely more than 2

13 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

The wave heights of the Carolina’s are nuts. 27 feet at 14 seconds! If that translates up here (it should) this could be a very high impact erosion event. Timing is off however with high tides and peak surge, and obviously the moon phase however. 

Thank goodness. We’d be looking at major flooding area wide at the beaches/back bays at worse timing. Might still be a bad flood event regardless. 

3 minutes ago, wishcast_hater said:

If this was a snow storm -

OMG the radar looks terrible in our area, looks like big bust already. Storm cancelled.

Snow storm? Apologies for my ignorance, but what’s that? 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, WestBabylonWeather said:

I hope it’s a bust for us. I don’t want 60 mile per hour wind.

More often than not these are overhyped wind wise but we don’t have much of an inversion this time to stop the winds from making it to the surface. The low isn’t very consolidated when it gets here which might be our saving grace this time of anything. If there’s some double low structure, much of the high wind might be kept offshore or be brief. But instead that might increase the heavy rains. 

26,000 meters without power in the Carolinas now... that's about 55,000 people.

0.21 in the part of Wantage. 1/3rd inch western SC and near 0.4 parts of the e slopes of the Catskills.  Good start.

Thanks for the MT Holly  post on the expected flooding.  I checked OKX/BOX output..similar.  Seems a little conservative on moderate, iso major but they have the data and based on their input rainfall/6 hours and past rainfall antecedent. We go with NWS as a good start. 

• Like 1

• Rjay unpinned this topic