Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter 2023

George BM

4 hours ago, aldie 22 said:

I think another factor for retail and seasonal merchandise is that they don't want to have much if anything left after the holiday. It costs alot of money to mark stuff down so as little as possible is best thus going out early to run down or out just prior to the holiday...it's all a game trying to figure how much to order

And that's the problem for the consumer.  I don't want to start buying Christmas decor before Halloween; however, if you wait you may not get what you need.  Case in point,  last year I found a cool snowflake projector at Lowe's.   So I bought one and took it home to set it up in the dark to see if I actually liked it.  If I did, I was going to buy another for the other side of the house.  Mind you, this was just before Thanksgiving.   Turned out that I liked the projector, but it took me a couple days to get back to Lowe's since I lived 25 minutes away at the time.  When I went back the day before Thanksgiving to get a second projector, they were sold out.  Couldn't even get it online.  The associate helped for 30 minutes trying to locate one.  Ultimately,  we found one at Woodstock, which was about 50 minutes drive from my house.  I called and purchased immediately and drove there to pick it up.  I don't think most consumers want to start purchasing holiday items 2 months, or more, in advance.   However, we're being conditioned that we must quickly buy any items we want because it may very well not be there when you want it.  Stores do not restock any items that sell out, I assume for fear of having to mark anything down post-holiday.  I get it.  But it's fucking frustrating and depressing going into stores in mid December to find empty shelves and BBQ grills and patio furniture taking over the Christmas section. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cbmclean said:

I had always thought that was a Yogi Berra quote.  But apparently it has an older and richer history.

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/10/20/no-predict/

I believe Yogi Berra actually said that at some point though, even if it's not originally his?   Of course, there's always his, "It's deja vu all over again!"

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic