Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter 2023

George BM

1 minute ago, Maestrobjwa said:

YEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!! WOO!!! Now THAT was the best win of the year so far--and the best game ovreally. Team win! When one phase faltered, another picked them up...that's what the great teams do!

Great win. Showed they aren't just frontrunners. That would have been a horrific loss, and their third at home.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

There looked to me like a block in the back on the return but officiating has been so inconsistent this year so take the win.

I told my dad we finally got a small gift from the refs. That now brings us up to about 91 small gifts short compared to all the other teams have gotten against us the last 20 years. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

I think our definition of wall to wall winter is different. I don’t mean it snows the whole winter. But to me I was thinking a majority (not all) of the winter is spent in a pattern where it can snow and there are multiple events spread out. Not just one or two flukes.  

2008-10 was definitely a wall to wall winter for me. Snow events in our area (not everyone’s yard gets it every time!)  Dec 5, Dec 10, Dec 19!  A clipper early Jan. Another storm late Jan. 3 snows Feb 2-10th. A light snow for MD in late Feb and a near miss in early March. That’s as wall to wall as it’s gets to be. No 3 week shut the blinds periods…we were tracking legit threats from Dec 1 on!   And is even throw in years where it started warm and flipped but then had a sustained 8 weeks or so of cold/snow. 

For reference years I would categorize as wall to wall winters in my adult life  

1994, 1996, 2003, 2010, 2014

Years that just missed but were close, had long stretches that felt like winter and I’d even include in this argument 

2005, 2015

But let’s be serious…a lot of us are hunting for the big year that historically this area gets with decadal regularity. 1958, 1961, 1964, 1966, 1978, 1979, 1982, 1987, 1996, 2003, 2010, 2014. Those years features a combo of long stretches of wintry weather and snows. We all know they won’t happen most years, but my point was if this enso can’t being about a snowy (doesn’t even have to be to the level of one of those years) winter then I don’t know if getting a year like that is even possible in the current pacific background base state. 

Hey @psuhoffman, a bit late replying here, but I wanted to say thank you for clarifying that.  And apologies if I interpreted what you said incorrectly.  I understand what you mean here with "wall to wall winter" referring to a more persistent pattern that can produce a few (or several?) events, and that a Nino such as this year SHOULD do the same.  Hopefully, at least!  If the Pac background state isn't going to allow that, then, well...what can you do?  And I agree, we're all hoping this Nino will give either longer or more frequent windows of opportunity to score, rather than us ending up with weeks of "shit the blinds" conditions!

To your list of "just missed", I would be tempted to add 2006-07.  More precisely, late Jan. into early Mar. 2007.  I've always had a bit of a "soft spot" for that winter, even though we didn't exactly get a ton of snow.  But we had a remarkably cold period through that time (especially Feb.), and as I've said several times, we JUST missed that storm around Valentines Day.  The one that gave us 3" sleet and ice rather than a foot or more of snow.  As it was, anything that did fall stayed on the ground for awhile (that sleet turned into an ice pack that hung around).  We also got a decent clipper early that Feb. and another "mashed potatoes" like event near the end of that month.

15 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Can we make a rule that surface maps past 240 hours from an operational only be posted in the panic rook or digital snow thread lol.

I mean...yeah I kinda wish they would, but at the same time ya don't wanna have too many strict rules either. Yes it can be annoying (unless it's being used as an example to demonstrate how a particular setup could work), but all we can do is try to ignore it!

42 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I mean...yeah I kinda wish they would, but at the same time ya don't wanna have too many strict rules either. Yes it can be annoying (unless it's being used as an example to demonstrate how a particular setup could work), but all we can do is try to ignore it!

The problem is that individual isn't doing it just out of lack of knowledge.  He is a known troll who has haunted the tropical forum for several years now.

• Thanks 1

Look at them thar snow whales at Whitetail ski resort!

https://www.skiwhitetail.com/the-mountain/mountain-conditions/mountain-cams.aspx

But the Greater Washington Metropolitan Region ain't gonna need no snow guns! We got BIG snows a-comin real soon, to countless beloved communities near you!

You see we can get snow even BEFORE mid December! Don't you EVER forget PSU got not one, but FOUR INCHES of snow in his backyard! Imagine what we will get later in the season! Frigid cold and deep snows! Get ready for a rollicking eminently enjoyable winter, in which you will be so happy you'll be savoring miles-long epic jebwalks in blowing snow with nine foot tall knife-edged snowdrifts! Those aggregates are gonna be so damn BIG and so blown by those northeasterly winds, that you will have no choice at all in the matter, but to walk backwards! Blinding snow rates! Comma heads that will simply rotate in place, that'll blow your minds to snowy paradise! Snow weenies will be flying all over the place! And all will be right in the world for me, when I know that the entire sub is so damn mired up in deep snow, so damn tired of digging out of 7 foot snow berms that the careless, or maybe even vengeful snowplow drivers leave on your driveway entrances, that you will truly be crying for the Jebman to come dig you out! You will all be true Believers in the kind of winter that I have been preaching about, bringing you all up in the training and admonition of the true Snow Gods! Believe, and Use the Force! I have shown you all the door. You all have to walk through it. Mid Atlantic subbers, WE ARE GONNA WILL THIS INTO BEING! WE ARE ALL GONNA BRING THIS INCREDIBLE WINTER HOME!

I enjoyed the snow that just happened in real life all of the pretend weather that hasn't happened yet....don't really care until it does or doesn't happen. Old age has made me numb to dumb shit that you can't control it also has made my feet hurt more frequently but i can control that by eating cookies on the couch and watching my Vikings score 3 points and win a football game. It's all about perspective :)

• Like 3

Moving the Caps and the Wiz to NoVa is wild.

Blows for that area. Walk through it every day for work. Doesn’t feel unsafe right now IMO, but it is sad to see a lot of closed businesses and it’s just generally kinda dead. Can’t imagine it without the presence of the arena. Assume it’ll stay a concert venue or something after, but jeez.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic