Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December Mid/Long Range Discussion

WxUSAF

32 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

But then the 6z GFS also shows a storm missing to the south a few days before Christmas….

Right where we want it at this range for now according to my handbook….

IMG_3520.png

As a member of the SW VA delegation, I’m locking that one in. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

But then the 6z GFS also shows a storm missing to the south a few days before Christmas….

Right where we want it at this range for now according to my handbook….

IMG_3520.png

There is a hint for something on the GEFS. Verbatim on the mean there is a little snow over S/Central VA. That ridge over Atlantic Canada is problematic, but this is a snapshot on a LR mean and in reality there will be waves moving through the flow/interacting. Starting to see the trough over Alaska shift into a more favorable spot the last few runs, with height lines building northward downstream.

1703138400-KPrQNagV5ns.png

• Like 6

The majority of GEFS members have at least one southern stream system tracking up and off the SE/MA coast in the 17-23rd period. A few have more of an inland track. That general idea is characteristic of a Nino. It's not a high probability setup for snow primarily because cold air availability is lacking in the pattern as advertised. That said more members than not have normal or below normal temps for the MA/SE during that window. Should there be a storm, higher terrain areas further inland would clearly be favored for frozen.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

5" in the Catoctins lol

There's alot of terrain west of Hagerstown. Wonder why there's a snow hole there?

Mt psu gets a couple inches. Winter is saved!

Maybe its trying to resolve downsloping and upslope. Probably not correct verbatim, but if it was, I’d get a couple inches as well

• Like 3

11 hours ago, brooklynwx99 said:

people forget that jet extensions lead to +PNA. we want those

jet retractions are associated with La Niña and -PNA

10 hours ago, CAPE said:

An extended Pacific jet is associated with a +PNA. The specific N-S location also has an influence.

Sounds to me like you're both saying some folks should read more and post less.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Sounds to me like you're both saying some folks should read more and post less.

Why would someone want to do that when they can just take every possible opportunity to be a deb and attempt to fulfill their no snow prophecy?

Kidding, of course.

There is a TON of great knowledge shared on here by folks like CAPE, PSU, etc.. I know I’ve personally learned so much just by shutting up and consuming as much info as possible.

• Like 4

@psuhoffman I remember last year you talked a lot about how one of your main worries was how there was next to no frozen precip on the north sides of the low. Should we expect that to change in nino years? Using the recent gfs as an example of what you talked about last year. I know it’s December but still a little concerning to see no snow anywhere with a nor easter. 
image.thumb.png.fc05791bc82291c3ba99749999c001a7.png

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic