Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Mid/Long Range Discussion

WxUSAF

10 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I do not. However, Nina->Nino lag/hangover can sometimes take longer to shake than we would like. Just thought those looks were incredibly similar outside of the Scan ridge building in which many of us here including myself are hoping for ie favorable AO/NAO looks which we need in a Nino. The Pac should work itself out....December Ninos are always iffy which is why a couple weeks ago I mentioned we need to be patient thru Dec because it might take some time to get there. 

the thing is that a crappy Pacific doesn't just imply some "Nina hangover". strong Ninos often have a really crappy Pacific pattern that straightens itself out later in the year. like this is a typical thing. the Nino is working as intended

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-z500_anom_1day-2857600.thumb.png.9fb5ad3ac252556159859898a8ca63bd.pngZ1VoK1t9vh.png.435fa372b010996c80725b6dadf01b24.png

what is nice is that we're already seeing blocking, which is a great sign for later in the year. also, moving through the warmer MJO phases of 4-5-6 will also dramatically weaken the SPV and perhaps even net us a SSW that can make Feb pretty wild if significant blocking develops

ps2png-worker-commands-57c6c5cc6f-6z78r-6fe5cac1a363ec1525f54343b6cc9fd8-9rTCXC.png.993bfead84e85bdc244ddab92bf64ecd.png

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I do not. However, Nina->Nino lag/hangover can sometimes take longer to shake than we would like. Just thought those looks were incredibly similar outside of the Scan ridge building in which many of us here including myself are hoping for ie favorable AO/NAO looks which we need in a Nino. The Pac should work itself out....December Ninos are always iffy which is why a couple weeks ago I mentioned we need to be patient thru Dec because it might take some time to get there. 

I agree with most of this.

Your post comparing a snapshot from the current ens means to a composite for last winter with no commentary was a bit disingenuous though. You know how some are going to respond to stuff like that. Do better.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

the thing is that a crappy Pacific doesn't just imply some "Nina hangover". strong Ninos often have a really crappy Pacific pattern that straightens itself out later in the year. like this is a typical thing. the Nino is working as intended

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-z500_anom_1day-2857600.thumb.png.9fb5ad3ac252556159859898a8ca63bd.pngZ1VoK1t9vh.png.435fa372b010996c80725b6dadf01b24.png

what is nice is that we're already seeing blocking, which is a great sign for later in the year. also, moving through the warmer MJO phases of 4-5-6 will also dramatically weaken the SPV and perhaps even net us a SSW that can make Feb pretty wild if significant blocking develops

ps2png-worker-commands-57c6c5cc6f-6z78r-6fe5cac1a363ec1525f54343b6cc9fd8-9rTCXC.png.993bfead84e85bdc244ddab92bf64ecd.png

Falling on deaf ears.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Although Will keeps us apprised of the euro weeklies every day, I hadn’t looked at the GEFS extended in awhile. Seems like a near carbon copy of the evolution shown by the euro. After mid-month, the west coast trough begins to retrograde, our eastern CONUS ridge begins getting undercut, and eventually we end up with pretty gorgeous pattern after Xmas. 

IMG_7316.png

• Like 10

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

Although Will keeps us apprised of the euro weeklies every day, I hadn’t looked at the GEFS extended in awhile. Seems like a near carbon copy of the evolution shown by the euro. After mid-month, the west coast trough begins to retrograde, our eastern CONUS ridge begins getting undercut, and eventually we end up with pretty gorgeous pattern after Xmas. 

IMG_7316.png

patience is a virtue

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

If we don't see a concrete shift to a more favorable pattern by Christmas, then yes. The Pacific us just overwhelming everything and so far this Nino is failing to adjust anything.

What are you even talking about man. For God’s sake. 

I hate it here sometimes. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

The eastern US is part of Scandinavia??  Who knew!?!? :lol:

LOL, sorry @Ralph Wiggum, my comment was a weak attempt at obscure dark humor.  You mentioned the Scandinavian ridge, and I was noting the amplified ridge over the eastern US as if asking whether we're now part of Scandinavia!

• Like 1

The one thing catching my eye this am is that the day old weeklies would not reflect that the latest MJO forecast is much less amplified as it heads toward 7.  So not sure how much help we will get from the tropical forcing as we head into the second half of the month.

WB GEFS extended does not really get the cold air entrenched until the first week of January.

IMG_2176.png

IMG_2175.png

IMG_2174.png

IMG_2179.png

18 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

What are you even talking about man. For God’s sake. 

I hate it here sometimes. 

Amen!  Have people forgotten what December 2015 was like during the "super-Nino"?  Record or near record warmth, a +10 temperature departure on the month, absolutely nothing wintry in sight.  Christmas Eve was practically unbearably muggy outside!  I probably have blocked it from my mind but I'm sure this place was tearing its hair out before the solstice even arrived that year!  We all know what happened in January of that winter.  Not predicting a KU storm here of course, but besides the blizzard that winter, I think a lot of people forget that Jan-Feb was actually slightly colder than normal (especially Jan) and we did have other opportunities besides the big storm but they didn't much pan out.  Now we fret over some unfavorable look toward mid-December and some want to say that's it for winter.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Not even a month ago, we were expecting a mild December to start. Had the models not shown cold in mid month at all, we’d be saying “right on track as expected”

Your 100% correct. Werenr the seasonal models from a few months ago showing a milder December, a good looking January and a Rocking February.  

Seems like we are right on track for what the seasonals we're showing back over the summer and Early fall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

IMG_7316.png

Hmmm After Christmas.... I remember when first hearing about El Nino that this weather event usually was called so because the affects to the weather pattern often was centered around Christmas the coming of the child.

1 hour ago, Terpeast said:

Not even a month ago, we were expecting a mild December to start. Had the models not shown cold in mid month at all, we’d be saying “right on track as expected”

Yep, that was the point I made yesterday evening too.   It seems everything is aligned to what most thought this winter would progress as (mild December with maybe some chances if things work out and flip to favorable patterns in J/F).  I don’t see anything to suggest that’s off track.  But I don’t have a Pro Forecaster yellow tag so what do I know.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

The PDO really isnt a pattern driver. The phase is influenced by multiple factors, ENSO state being one. The MJO is a short term modulator and the current wave will be focused over the MC in the coming days and is largely responsible for the unfavorable looks on the PAC side imo. Beyond that the convection looks to shift into the Western PAC and weaken based on current forecasts. Ultimately the atmospheric response to a Nino should feature a NE PAC low, and the location of that going forward will become a major influence on the downstream pattern. We also have to factor in the current Strat activity and possible impacts on the h5 pattern. Upshot is the pattern is in flux and looks generally mild for the middle third of the month. End of Dec into Jan might be pretty interesting.

Great explanation.  Much appreciated...my comment about the PDO truly was a question.  Wasn't trying for a doom and gloom post, just an observation.

• Like 1

Exactly. We collectively wrote off December :lol:

Yea, but there was some hyping up of this time frame, which now is looking like an autumn pattern (yesterday was fringe t-shirt weather lol). In general, though, the idea was geared towards Jan/Feb…so not too many surprises yet.

Now this is a rant... Tony pann a met in baltimore. Posted a model on facebook,  saying the model is predicting snow by the end of the month.  Now anyone who lnows the weather knows that the model will not look like that by the end of the month.  So why hype it??  Makes no sense and he loses credibility  in my opinion by hyping it!! .. heres the post....

Screenshot_20231203_121757_Facebook.jpg

1 minute ago, winter_warlock said:

Now this is a rant... Tony pann a met in baltimore. Posted a model on facebook,  saying the model is predicting snow by the end of the month.  Now anyone who lnows the weather knows that the model will not look like that by the end of the month.  So why hype it??  Makes no sense and he loses credibility  in my opinion by hyping it!! .. heres the post....

Screenshot_20231203_121757_Facebook.jpg

It's the same as somebody posting a monthly projection here, though. Just like we say "this model still likes some snow at the end of the month"...he did the same. Now yes, Tony is a weenie like many of us, but I don't see anything wrong with this. Don't really think it's "hyping" either. Just like if somebody says the extended models favor a better pattern by then...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

It's the same as somebody posting a monthly projection here, though. Just like we say "this model still likes some snow at the end of the month"...he did the same. Now yes, Tony is a weenie like many of us, but I don't see anything wrong with this. Don't really think it's "hyping" either. Just like if somebody says the extended models favor a better pattern by then...

True.   Just irked me lol

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic