Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023

brooklynwx99

48 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Winter starts in 2 days 

And spring starts on the 25th? Just like last year my AccuWeather App always shows cold 8 to 10 days out but it never comes. Gives me a low of 10 degrees on the 2nd, meanwhile 5 days earlier it showed a low of 1 degree the day after Christmas and that got pushed almost a week away.

I want to believe things will change but its been a long time coming and alot of disappointments along the way.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jm1220 said:

Yep, so I’m not that concerned with it coming late, I know that happens in El Niño. We already see in the big storms we have this month, if we can time some cold air with one or two of them we’ll be set. That end of Dec-Jan stretch in 2010-11 is probably once in a lifetime though. That was epic. 

Nothing beats 94, but you might have been too young for it. I mean, it was cold, bro....plus ice and snow and everything in between, capped off by an epic March sleet storm that was like 5-6 inches. It was insane.

• Like 5

I had 30” of snow in 2-3 weeks in Feb 2021. If I can arrange that again I’ll sign in a heartbeat. 12/26/10 to 1/27/11 was one month which was 4 feet in many areas. 

We had 48” or so in and around MMU in February 2021. Bonkers stuff and had to dig paths for our newly adopted puppy at that time.

I can’t even imagine what the 2015 blitz was like for you guys. 2013-2015 was fantastic even down here, but mind boggling up your way. 
I actually had pack and retention through both winters down here living near the coast, it was wonderful. Though the snow totals weren’t the extravaganza you had, the persistent cold kept it around and the whole winter had that enjoyable kind of wintry vibe. 

But yeah, I’m in awe of 2015 up your ways. Unreal. 

• Like 1

We have had plenty of hostile patterns in December since 2011, but the snow extent across North America is the lowest in nearly 20 years. 

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/smcd/emb/snow/HTML/snow_extent_monitor.html

5863B9C9-D9E9-4AC8-B0DA-706FFD20B1DA.png.8c8e5e4e059ed57911d50e32c4c0ac8e.png

Snowcover on our side of the pole would be bad for late November let alone late December. This is abysmal too:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, bluewave said:

We have had plenty of hostile patterns in December since 2011, but the snow extent across North America is the lowest in nearly 20 years. 

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/smcd/emb/snow/HTML/snow_extent_monitor.html

5863B9C9-D9E9-4AC8-B0DA-706FFD20B1DA.png.8c8e5e4e059ed57911d50e32c4c0ac8e.png

Strong nino..to be expected in December. No big surprise..We still have 3 winter months to go.

• Weenie 1

It’s 34F with a stiff wind out. I just read the last several posts and I think you guys are in a disturbing echo chamber.

I want to know where the grass is green and growing, where its warm, and where it doesnt feel and look like Dec 19th right now. Enjoy the cold week Gloomy Doomys. It will be rainy and 50 next week

• Confused 2

Colder air now covers the region. Another shot of cold air will arrive to end the week. However, the cold will be far from severe.

No Arctic air appears likely through the remainder of December. A transition to a colder pattern could commence during the first week of January. Severe cold appears unlikely early in the transition.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was +1.5°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +2.0°C for the week centered around December 13. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged +1.85°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +1.95°C. A basinwide El Niño event is ongoing. El Niño conditions may strengthen somewhat further this month.  

The SOI was +0.47 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +2.292 today. Strong blocking in the final week of November, as occurred this year, has often been followed by frequent blocking in December and January.

On December 17 the MJO was in Phase 7 at an amplitude of 1.661 (RMM). The December 16-adjusted amplitude was 1.737 (RMM).

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied 97% probability that New York City will have a warmer than normal December (1991-2020 normal). December will likely finish with a mean temperature near 42.8° (3.7° above normal).

• Thanks 1