Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

8 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

lol, flying back from LAX yesterday to BOS and there was sun above the clouds as we approached BOS. I knew it was going to be awhile before I saw it again when we dropped into the clouds. The cloud deck was really low at ~1300ft. I was watching the altitude from our seats and always appreciative the pilots know what they're doing as we were circling a bit at low alt then making the final turn to approach. My wife's been a FA for 38yrs so no big deal for her.  Landing was uneventful, unlike the AA flight yesterday into London:o

Having grown up with an airline pilot (and former USAF pilot) for a dad, I've always had a good awareness and appreciation for the tech and physical tolerances associated with modern planes. Of course there's always a human element, but one of the biggest advancements in commercial flight has been the improvements in cockpit communication protocols which ensure that crews are much less likely to get crossed up or make a reckless decision because they're running behind schedule or because a stubborn captain just wants to do it his way. The weakest link at this point is the air traffic control system, especially in congested areas. It really is amazing when you stop to think about how efficiently everything works most of the time, despite the occasional well-publicized snafus.

Anyway, it's looking like December will go out with a damp whimper. Maybe we'll finally make it to freezing before the midnight countdown.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dendrite said:

I looked back at the historical monthlies of CON, BOS, ORH, and BDL and couldn’t find an instance of it happening. There is a nonzero chance of it though considering all of the sites have had Novembers with monthly means that were colder than some of the warmest December means…just not in the same season. 

Warm bias or not, ORH is threatening it this year, but will likely fall short. They are 38.5° after 29 days and November finished at 38.8°. 

Dec 2015 in NYC was 2.5° milder than the 2001-30 norm for Nov.  However, Nov 2015 was +4.5, so no overlap.

Surprise SN this morning, 1" by 7, another 1.5" by 8 and now north of 3".  The grandkids finally saw some snow during their week here, ironically at the worst time for driving south.  Their van has good "all-wx" tires (scare quotes mine) but needed some wood ashes to get up our driveway, then got stuck in 4" when off the highway to pick something up at Beans Corner Baptist.  Fortunately, a farmer friend living 500 feet away brought up his tractor.

Edit:  GYX forecast for New Sharon.  It's been quite a while since having that kind of good bust.  Approaching 4" with only 1" before sunrise.

Today
Rain and snow showers before 1pm, then rain showers likely between 1pm and 4pm, then a chance of rain and snow showers after 4pm. High near 36. North wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Tonight
A 30 percent chance of snow showers, mainly before 8pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 24. Northwest wind around 5 mph.
  • Like 3