Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Oh, ok...great event, I just didn't view it as a blizzard. Not to get into semantics....

Yeah it wasn’t blizzard here. Just a heavy snowfall and a great event. Winds were ok, but nothing out of the ordinary. Jan 2022 had exceptional winds. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Not if you understand it. Worked out great last year...MBY not withstanding.

I personally am not buying it , that people understand it as much as they think they do , or to the point *that it can be applied , accurately to add much value* with so many factors simultaneously exerting influence . This sincerely isn’t meant as a dig to anyone.. I believe people want to believe they understand things more than they do so they can forecast longer out and it’s sort of cutting edge stuff to do that . I just am skeptical based in that , I think the more moving parts there are , whose weights can ebb and flow that it results in to many potential outcomes to be used and then correctly identified and weighted . But thus is just me trying to explain my skepticism . 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it wasn’t blizzard here. Just a heavy snowfall and a great event. Winds were ok, but nothing out of the ordinary. Jan 2022 had exceptional winds. 

Jesus ...where the hell was I.   Were these like one-and-done winters?  I don't honesty recall those storms - maybe they just were unremarkable where I am.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Allsnow is just as biased as snowman, but he contributes more so it flies under the radar. You learn alot by following emoji patterns....its like a stream of consciousness whereas they veil it more in posts. Look at a guy like Bluewave, while you may not love what he shares, he won't weenie any post that implies winter still exists.

I was just thinking the exact same thing. Over these many years I've realized I've drawn mental images of all of you via posts and emojis. Some rocket scientist types sipping fine booze in the McMansion, and others 40 something and living in moms basement... and everything in between :lol:

• Haha 1

IMG_2771.png.50b4e9727dbc4b8d08f8548d33b1f7ae.png

I was in Dover NJ for that event. Originally drove to Allentown and I think a few runs of the NAM and others freaked me out as there was shift to the N. Drove to Dover as it was starting. Was a good decision even though Allentown still got crushed as well

Feb 2013 went to Marlboro MA (great storm but missed the prime band that went through CT etc)

March 2013: the storm that slammed SNE I actually drove to NW VA as it originally looked great there. Ended up with like 6” of slop

2015 went to RI, missed the bulk in C MA

2020 went to Lewistown Pa, this one haunted me because The King Walt Drag PM me to go to Binghamton NY the morning of and I didn’t see it. I got slotted during the night of the storm and only ended up with like 14-16” if I recall while just N of me got 2’+

Went to Estes Park Colorado 2021. Fun storm just because of the location. Wasn’t as much snow as I was hoping for though.

And of course the 2022 event Coastalwx referenced where I finally practically jackpotted

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kdxken said:

Slow week with stove wood sales. Fire pit sales have been brisk however. A lot of people must be having Christmas cookouts. Who knows it might get chilly late in the day...

Totally embracing it here and will definitely be cooking out within the next 72 hours.  Whether winter happens or not is out of my control and lemonade will be made regardless.  My wood stove will enjoy the reprieve until it gets cold again.  The kids however....probably going to want the warmth to hang around a bit to enjoy their Christmas gifts.

image.thumb.png.8b9d658f08e4b5cba8bca18c4d78aef9.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I personally am not buying it , that people understand it as much as they think they do , or to the point *that it can be applied , accurately to add much value* with so many factors simultaneously exerting influence . This sincerely isn’t meant as a dig to anyone.. I believe people want to believe they understand things more than they do so they can forecast longer out and it’s sort of cutting edge stuff to do that . I just am skeptical based in that , I think the more moving parts there are , whose weights can ebb and flow that it results in to many potential outcomes to be used and then correctly identified and weighted . But thus is just me trying to explain my skepticism . 

I don't understand exactly how is manifests as far as dictating who benefits, but I do understand how to determine whether one will take place on a seasonal level. I've done it several times now over the past decade and look to again this year.

• Like 1

Just now, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Enjoy man . I’d love to be there if it’s not snowing here . Water is prolly upper 70’s 

Cold is pointless without snow. Especially these past few mornings. Down in the teens both nights. I was nervous back in the summer that I would miss a big snowstorm this week but that’s not going to happen. Looks like winter kicks off when I get back. 

58 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Euro was prob best case for New England ski resorts . Approx 1/4 rain ..not much damage to operations at all 

On that note, just came in from doing a few runs as I picked up my kids from ski team, and the conditions were surprisingly good. Amazing how far snowmaking has come - I know JSpin may never talk to me again after saying this, but I'm at the point where I think generally speaking, on groomed terrain, I prefer the manmade stuff to natural. But to go from a historic flooding rain to soft fairly powdery snow in a few days is pretty incredible

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Double edge sword. Snow would be nice to get the base down and build from there, but that's going to make it harder to fix the trails. No snow next 7-10days is somewhat of a blessing since the atvs can get in there easier. I donated some money and want to help some clubs but we're out of town tomorrow till Thurs. The hotspots like rangeley, Eustis, jackman and points north that didn't get much damage will be crowded for sure when we get snow

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Rangeley and Eustis have a lot of damage i'm hearing.

51 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Cold is pointless without snow. Especially these past few mornings. Down in the teens both nights. I was nervous back in the summer that I would miss a big snowstorm this week but that’s not going to happen. Looks like winter kicks off when I get back. 

I could name 100 points and you can't even come up with why we need cold even if it doesn't snow................lol

• Weenie 1

59 minutes ago, alex said:

On that note, just came in from doing a few runs as I picked up my kids from ski team, and the conditions were surprisingly good. Amazing how far snowmaking has come - I know JSpin may never talk to me again after saying this, but I'm at the point where I think generally speaking, on groomed terrain, I prefer the manmade stuff to natural. But to go from a historic flooding rain to soft fairly powdery snow in a few days is pretty incredible

Open 'em up!

8 minutes ago, MaineJayhawk said:

Open 'em up!

LOL

It'll be interesting to see how the ski resort adapt to "the new norm" - if this trend in fact continues. Snowmaking is a great tool but incredibly expensive, I imagine the smaller areas will struggle to stay alive if they have to consistently pay for snowmaking to be open. Not to mention the environmental concerns given the amounts of energy required for snowmaking. I wonder what the financials look like even for a place like Bretton Woods, which counts on a "high price to keep the crowds low" strategy. But I digress...