Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

27 minutes ago, rehjr said:

Admitting the problem is the first step to recovery 

I mean yeah, if I had more knowledge of meteorology that would certainly help, I’m not denying that. That is why I choose to read and learn from people who know a lot more than I do such as the Pope, Bluewave, Raindance etc. Hell I’m willing to keep and open mind and listen to those who I disagree with but acknowledge know their shit better than I do. You want to listen to someone who understands meteorology rather than a hobbyist who’s still lacking in that area? That’s completely fair, but most of the forecasts I have seen are for an AN temp winter. 

47 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Nice Mike, Congrats, That will bode very well heading up or down the Kennebec, Looks like moving to Maine is sooner rather then later.

Thanks.  We'll see what curves life throws my way.......I think another 2 years is within the cards.  At least that's the current thinking.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, George001 said:

I mean yeah, if I had more knowledge of meteorology that would certainly help, I’m not denying that. That is why I choose to read and learn from people who know a lot more than I do such as the Pope, Bluewave, Raindance etc. Hell I’m willing to keep and open mind and listen to those who I disagree with but acknowledge know their shit better than I do. You want to listen to someone who understands meteorology rather than a hobbyist who’s still lacking in that area? That’s completely fair, but most of the forecasts I have seen are for an AN temp winter. 

Bluewave? lol he is NYC’s version of the great scientist of our time!! 

IMG_0174.webp

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 3

34 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Funny, it wasn’t a hit at D10…just a close call…so nothing needs to happen for it to miss. :lol:

Control run is even closer to a bomb on New Years ..Then the Gorilla (Rain this run) on Jan 4th.. Regardless some colder threats showing up for the first time this season.. 

It's funny George has done a 180.  When he mentions mets and astute hobbyists, he leaves out anyone not forecasting warmth.   But in other ways perhaps we have a new sherrif in town and his name is GEORGE!

In any case, if the pattern comes out as all guidance looks today, George will quickly revert back to the BLIZZARD KING

• Haha 7

11 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Control run is even closer to a bomb on New Years ..Then the Gorilla (Rain this run) on Jan 4th.. Regardless some colder threats showing up for the first time this season.. 

Frustrating run overall, tho ...    Probably better that the greatest common denominator heads in here didn't see it.  

18 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Trying to figure if

1) I should pack shorts or jeans for Florida next week.

2) What to wear to the airport Saturday. I'm debating wearing shorts but it's a pain to take off your belt and then walk as your pants slowly start to drop. 

Thinking sweatpants but not sure I have any. 

The bottom line is considering the number of disgusting people who were in the airline seat one should NEVER wear shorts on a plane.  But wear shorts in Florida.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Trying to figure if

1) I should pack shorts or jeans for Florida next week.

2) What to wear to the airport Saturday. I'm debating wearing shorts but it's a pain to take off your belt and then walk as your pants slowly start to drop. 

Thinking sweatpants but not sure I have any. 

Don't overthink it.  Kill two birds with one stone and enjoy your trip!

image.thumb.png.12cffc7aba4fa4a539b852ec4642cc6d.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

The bottom line is considering the number of disgusting people who were in the airline seat one should NEVER wear shorts on a plane.  

hmmm I didn't think of this. Good point. 

I think I'll stick with jeans. It will certainly be warmer than it will be here, however, I asked myself...would I be wearing shorts here if it was in the 70's (even if it was a bit humid) the answer is...helllllllll no

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, brooklynwx99 said:

also, for like the millionth time, northern Canada can be +10 and it won't really matter for us since their normals are so much lower. it's always warm in Canada during Ninos, even in prolific periods

Yes I agree, some El nino's can be warm in Canada and some exceptionally cold. But right now most major cities are devoid of any cold. Most places in our "source region" across the Prairies, Northern ON, etc. have been running near or above freezing for the entire month and forecasted to remain that way for the next 5-10 days too. Which is way above average. There's zero snow out there too. Not even 2015 was this warm. Dec 1997 is probably the most comparable month to this year out west and across Canada. No other year comes close. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

hmmm I didn't think of this. Good point. 

I think I'll stick with jeans. It will certainly be warmer than it will be here, however, I asked myself...would I be wearing shorts here if it was in the 70's (even if it was a bit humid) the answer is...helllllllll no

What if it’s 82/68….not uncommon in Florida this time of year.  Bring shorts along.

4 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

Yes I agree, some El nino's can be warm in Canada and some exceptionally cold. But right now most major cities are devoid of any cold. Most places in our "source region" across the Prairies, Northern ON, etc. have been running near or above freezing for the entire month and forecasted to remain that way for the next 5-10 days too. Which is way above average. There's zero snow out there too. Not even 2015 was this warm. Dec 1997 is probably the most comparable month to this year out west and across Canada. No other year comes close. 

Y'all's talking past one another. 

He's making the point that if one is engaged in this social media/hobby for winter enthusiasm, +10 up there isn't a death knell.  

You're making a point that there is something afoot that is far more unusual - or seem to be ? - than merely qualitative analysis over temperature anomaly distribution. 

You're points are two different discussions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

If this was Monopoly and we drew that as a chance card it would read, "Ride the Wave Train to snowier times. If you pass go, take your trolling ass out of here" 

Help me out here:  Big trough in the east going into January should be a cold in the east.  Good snow producing pattern.  That's what I expect to see.  But when I look at the surface, it's warm at the coast, and not particularly cold inland.  Probably mid-day temps at the coast in the 40s.  Weak sauce cold air source in Canada is the culprit no? 

ecmwf_T2m_us_65.png

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

Help me out here:  Big trough in the east going into January should be a cold in the east.  Good snow producing pattern.  That's what I expect to see.  But when I look at the surface, it's warm at the coast, and not particularly cold inland.  Probably mid-day temps at the coast in the 40s.  Weak sauce cold air source in Canada is the culprit no? 

ecmwf_T2m_us_65.png

It looks like the core of the cold is pretty far west/north at that point. also with that type of surface depiction you'd have clouds, and light onshore wind (at least portions of SNE) so with that in mind, it's really not so warm

57 minutes ago, weathafella said:

The bottom line is considering the number of disgusting people who were in the airline seat one should NEVER wear shorts on a plane.  But wear shorts in Florida.

Seriously? Wiz gets a chill when temps drop below 80. He should bring long johns wherever he goes. 

• Haha 1