Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

3 hours ago, dryslot said:

Nothing recent, Just when they started framing back early summer, This will be that view, But i saw the Blue Prints.

IMG_3666.jpeg

Hope it’s a local contractor getting paid handsomely for that build. Looks like it’s up off summit hill or thereabouts. Lot of nice view lots in Harrison and surrounding. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Fwiw, the end of the run does have a pretty nice ALeutian low developing....but again, these things seem to change on a dime right now during this transition period

Dec7_12zEPS360.png

Yeah, that much negative departure N/NNE of HA is dead ringer for a +PNA. 

The flow shape is certainly sending the +PNAP response, but it's weird having the nadir in the east still relatively mild like that.  I wonder if the speed of the flow is stretching the wave signature.. That looks like an unstable variation

28 minutes ago, FXWX said:

Folks should go and read David Ludlum New England Weather Book... Wonderful sections on the winters of the 1700/1800 time span... You will come across quotes from journals and diaries written back then complaining about the lack of cold and snow compared to past winters...   

Is it this book?  It's dirt cheap and sounds interesting.  I'm going to grab it if it is.  EDIT:  I bought it regardless :lol:

https://amzn.to/3RbQKIO

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, FXWX said:

Folks should go and read David Ludlum New England Weather Book... Wonderful sections on the winters of the 1700/1800 time span... You will come across quotes from journals and diaries written back then complaining about the lack of cold and snow compared to past winters...   

thanks John..puts things in perspective.  Some realize this. Some do not. 

3 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Well it is what it is I guess. When they wrote all  the lyrics to all of the Xmas songs back in the day .. they must have had snow every year in December. Every Xmas song is about the worts December, icicles forming, mantles and blankets of white, sleigh bells . Ye were snowy times 

I think much of that came from Victorian era (Little Ice Age) stories and images, enshrined in songs and themes of Christmas that grew out of those.  Dickens lived in a time when the Thames froze over and wrote "A Christmas Carol" reflecting a cold and snowy London in December.  Newer jingles and stories have kept those snowy themes intact because it's so iconic, I guess.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, wokeupthisam said:

I think much of that came from Victorian era (Little Ice Age) stories and images, enshrined in songs and themes of Christmas that grew out of those.  Dickens lived in a time when the Thames froze over and wrote "A Christmas Carol" reflecting a cold and snowy London in December.  Newer jingles and stories have kept those snowy themes intact because it's so iconic, I guess.

If they ever wanted to do rewrites from our era .. it would be along the lines of Record snow melts, screamers, green Christmases , high dews, bikes and roller skates and the Grinch wearing shorts and a tee 

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Layman said:

Is it this book?  It's dirt cheap and sounds interesting.  I'm going to grab it if it is.  EDIT:  I bought it regardless :lol:

https://amzn.to/3RbQKIO

Yes... It is a great book...  Full of the history of New England weather from cold to heat, snowstorms, hurricanes and tornadoes.  It's actually a great coffee table book.  I've had it for 40 years and still thumb through it a few times a year... Highly recommended... 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, FXWX said:

Yes... It is a great book...  Full of the history of New England weather from cold to heat, snowstorms, hurricanes and tornadoes.  It's actually a great coffee table book.  I've had it for 40 years and still thumb through it a few times a year... Highly recommended... 

He's a great author of that sort of write.  I think he has others; shame on me for not owning any.

If anyone is interested, try "Isaac's Storm" - Erik Larson.   Fantastic read

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FXWX said:

Colonial weenies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FXWX said:

Many Christmases at CON with no sleighing. Maybe even a nice little grincher in there in 1866?

image.png

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

1875 weenies jumping off Old Man on the Mountain ledge….couldn’t sleigh until 2/4. 

11 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Looks like constant snows began in Nov and they sleigh greatly into mid Napril .

Every single year. What a winter lovers time to be alive !

A Ginx Christmasstory 

These are not the same….lol. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

These are not the same….lol. 

He knows. This is his way to deal with no snow yet. 

It’s also CON he’s looking at and not CT…and even in the 1800s CON had plenty of duds. It’s true it’s a little easier now to have them, but not nearly to the degree which some in this thread proclaim. It’s not backed by the data. I’m pretty sure a chunk of weenies think that anything pre-1900 (or even pre-1950) was like a Quebec City climate in Boston….when in reality either period was still decently warmer than modern day ORH. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

Agreed Steve.

But the agenda folks try to tell us otherwise.   

Show me the data you agree with. I’m not arguing one way or another, just interested in seeing the white christmas odds from 1800s-present. 

From what I read, 64% of the country has decreasing odds since 1980 while 31% have increased. 4% relatively unchanged. Source: noaa

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

If they ever wanted to do rewrites from our era .. it would be along the lines of Record snow melts, screamers, green Christmases , high dews, bikes and roller skates and the Grinch wearing shorts and a tee 

Yes. Dickens might have written something like this:  "It was the best of climes, it was the worst of climes..."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Show me the data you agree with. I’m not arguing one way or another, just interested in seeing the white christmas odds from 1800s-present. 

From what I read, 64% of the country has decreasing odds since 1980 while 31% have increased. 4% relatively unchanged. Source: noaa

Luke, you and I agree on very little. And that’s all well and good.  I agree with what Steve said…because it makes sense to me. Perhaps he has the data you’re seeking? I don’t know if he does. But I still agree with what he said.