Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Yesvember or November?

Go Kart Mozart

34 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Let’s get some elevation events 

First week of December might favor that with the semi-marginal airmasses. 

It would normally be a torch pattern but the NAO block keeps it marginal instead. Then the PAC improves after that. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

First week of December might favor that with the semi-marginal airmasses. 

It would normally be a torch pattern but the NAO block keeps it marginal instead. Then the PAC improves after that. 

Scooters been hinting at it too. Just missing out on one tomorrow night . Maybe the following week something happens .

• Like 2

So much anecdotal info in my head.   I had this impression that a good November snow wise was very positive for a good snow season in Boston.   Then I looked at the data and it’s literally all over the place.   In the least snow in a season for BOS occurred when half the total happened in November.   

So I looked at all Novembers with 2.0 or greater snow totals at BOS.   There were 26 of them in all of the data back 142 years.  Keep in mind that the data from Logan airport began in 1935.   The mean for the winter when Boston received 2.0 or more snow officially is 39.89 inches with a range from 9.0-110.6.    Incidentally the 142 year long term average is 43.1.   So I’m relaxing as raw snow totals on November aren’t really correlated too much.

3 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

For the last decade November has been the only month that has averaged near to below normal.

Every other month has torched especially the winter months. So what agenda is that?

Only 25-26 years here, and the most recent 10 are almost exactly on the full-period average, though month-to-month varies:  Jan avg +1.20 to March -1.17. 

The much longer POR at CAR is probably more characteristic, with only March BN (-0.43) and 5 months at least +3.  Though a decade is just a blink of time when evaluating climate, that points toward warming.  However, that says little about the next few months.

Wind never fully quit last night, and the temp stopped at 12°, tied with last Tuesday for the month's coldest.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Through 11/24:

BOS:  -1.3F

BDL: -1.9F

ORH: -0.7F

PVD: -2.6F

Do we * PVD?   I think today and tomorrow may add some negs which should dented at least a few days in the final week of the month so the numbers above are IMHO close to what we'll see in the end.

ORH has been running too warm for 3 years now. PVD more recently has been running too cold. 

14 minutes ago, weathafella said:

It’s like no one in NWS cares about important climo records at first order stations.   Very disappointing.

It's not that we don't care, it's that we can only do so much. The only reason ASOS exists is for FAA flight purposes, and they don't care about temps, so the tolerance is like +/- 2 degrees. So if temps are still falling within that range the equipment is not malfunctioning and not in need of repair. With the budgets being they way they are, we definitely can't go replacing equipment that isn't in need of it. Then if an ASOS does break, it's more likely it will just be down until a replacement part arrives.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

It's not that we don't care, it's that we can only do so much. The only reason ASOS exists is for FAA flight purposes, and they don't care about temps, so the tolerance is like +/- 2 degrees. So if temps are still falling within that range the equipment is not malfunctioning and not in need of repair. With the budgets being they way they are, we definitely can't go replacing equipment that isn't in need of it. Then if an ASOS does break, it's more likely it will just be down until a replacement part arrives.

Yeah you work with the budget you’re given and hope there’s enough pressure to change it-although the average voter could care less so that’s not happening.  

20 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Or 5 :lol: 

I winterized the tractor and backpack blower . Pulled snowblower out of shed and it started on first pull. Snow is coming soon . 

Agreed, I did my final cleanup as well, however, I still have a few trees way out back holding on a few, but enough is enough. I put that blower away, snow blower oil change and go over was done a few weeks ago....we await.