Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Mid/Long Range Discussion

WxUSAF

10 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

It seems most winters, there's some word or phrase that just becomes the "meme" of that year.  The first inch thing might just be this year's!!!  Remember in 2016, around the time of the blizzard, it was the word "amped"...and I'm sure "-PNA" has appeared many times!

The word “signal” is like nails on a chalkboard 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TSSN+ said:

What’s the number for the national winter cancellation hotline? 

Thank you for calling the AmWx winter hotline. If this is a life-threatening emergency, please hang up and dial 911 now.

-For trouble with your guaranteed cold, please press “1”

-To verify if Mt. PSU has received its first inch, please press “2”

-To check if the long range pattern signal has degraded, please press “3”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 13

5 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Thank you for calling the AmWx winter hotline. If this is a life-threatening emergency, please hang up and dial 911 now.

-For trouble with your guaranteed cold, please press “1”

-To verify if Mt. PSU has received its first inch, please press “2”

-To check if the long range pattern signal has degraded, please press “3”

Why don’t you just tell me the kind of winter you want to have

2834248C-A1B5-4362-84E8-2559DBB5436B.webp.eb9b2e154d77a24b8f637f2a8d9eea70.webp

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

I do like that energy dropping into the SW in the LR, for the first few days of December. It implies a bigger storm system moving across the country. Ensembles are split, but some want to develop a -PNA at the time, which I would be weary of because ENSO subsurface is + and strengthening, which actually correlates to +pna, but the slight signal for -pna is on LR models right now.. NAO has been fluctuating back and forth on models too, but if we get the -NAO scenario like the LR 18z gfs ensembles have, that piece of energy moving to us Dec 3-5 could be something to watch. We only average 2-3" of snow in December across the region.  Some Winter's every piece works out like 02-03, this will be the first test I think. I know we have images of Pacific warm air in our minds from the last few Winters...

• Like 4

There is a fairly persistent indication(I won't say signal) on the ensembles in the LR for a wave tracking to our south with cold air in place. This varies from run to run ofc. The 27th -30th seems to be the window. 

Verbatim on the 0z EPS this would be a light snow, mostly falling to our south over S VA/NC.

1701259200-qMGBVrM5B2w.png

1701259200-7k5FUeIoBT8.png

1701259200-XcR0LXh6NE4.png

• Like 8

Snippet from Mount Holly AFD wrt Thanksgiving day-

However, some models/ensemble members, most notably the 00Z GFS, depict another closed mid level low developing, resulting in surface cyclogenesis, with another round of precipitation possible on Thursday as the low slides off shore over Delmarva. For now, I`ve stayed close to a consensus blend that doesn`t include the GFS as I can`t recall another event with an evolution like this, and so far this seems to be an outlier solution. Therefore, the forecast keeps Thanksgiving dry with temperatures slightly below normal.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

Snippet from Mount Holly AFD wrt Thanksgiving day-

However, some models/ensemble members, most notably the 00Z GFS, depict another closed mid level low developing, resulting in surface cyclogenesis, with another round of precipitation possible on Thursday as the low slides off shore over Delmarva. For now, I`ve stayed close to a consensus blend that doesn`t include the GFS as I can`t recall another event with an evolution like this, and so far this seems to be an outlier solution. Therefore, the forecast keeps Thanksgiving dry with temperatures slightly below normal.

Interesting that they’re essentially tossing the GFS’s idea from the last couple runs of a system forming down south and riding up the boundary to firehose us on Thanksgiving.

Curious to see if the GFS stays its course over the next few runs or corrects back to a solution similar to the one we’ve been seeing for some time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

Interesting that they’re essentially tossing the GFS’s idea from the last couple runs of a system forming down south and riding up the boundary to firehose us on Thanksgiving.

Curious to see if the GFS stays its course over the next few runs or corrects back to a solution similar to the one we’ve been seeing for some time.

I looked at the EPS members this morning and there were a few that had the GFS idea of developing another low. Something to keep any eye on over the next couple model cycles.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, winter_warlock said:

FWIW.. baltimore forecasters.  Talking about possible snow here in central md... im Not buying it yet. Still too early. But still nice to see possibilities  in November lol

Like i said. FWIW...

Screenshot_20231118_123324_Facebook.jpg

He is the weeniest of weenies.   He'd forecast snow in the middle of summer on the equator.

• Haha 7

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic