Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
wdrag

7 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

All the models look much better by the end of the month 

With the very fast Pacific split flow, the models haven’t been very reliable beyond 8-10 days. So we probably can’t forecast much beyond Thanksgiving at this point. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

NYC and LGA along with the immediate shoreline like Long Beach and Breezy Point will probably have to wait until after Thanksgiving for the first freeze. 

Lows 

Jones Beach…37

Breezy point…37

Montauk…37

EWR…32

NYC…35

LGA….37

JFK…31

FRG…30

ISP….27

HPN…28

HVN…27

TEB….28

BDR….30

East Hampton…20

MJG….19

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bluewave said:

NYC and LGA along with the immediate shoreline like Long Beach and Breezy Point will probably have to wait until after Thanksgiving for the first freeze. 

Lows 

Jones Beach…37

Breezy point…37

Montauk…37

EWR…32

NYC…35

LGA….37

JFK…31

FRG…30

ISP….27

HPN…28

HVN…27

TEB….28

BDR….30

East Hampton…20

MJG….19

Low of 38 at my remote station at Cherry Grove on Fire Island.  The atmosphere never did decouple there.

2 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

Low of 38 at my remote station at Cherry Grove on Fire Island.  The atmosphere never did decouple there.

My first freeze date in Long Beach was usually around the same time as NYC. It’s remarkable how shallow these radiational cooling inversions are. The 85m temperature at BNL near the NWS office was the same as the surface in NYC and at the shore.

68B6434C-32AC-449B-8588-E47BB86264F6.thumb.jpeg.9c9fd5d8a9e96e0a459695115733313d.jpeg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bluewave said:

My first freeze date in Long Beach was usually around the same time as NYC. It’s remarkable how shallow these radiational cooling inversions are. The 85m temperature at BNL near the NWS office was the same as the surface in NYC and at the shore.

68B6434C-32AC-449B-8588-E47BB86264F6.thumb.jpeg.9c9fd5d8a9e96e0a459695115733313d.jpeg

Crazy. NWS at Upton got down to 19 what difference from the city. 

IMG_2559.jpeg

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, bluewave said:

With the very fast Pacific split flow, the models haven’t been very reliable beyond 8-10 days. So we probably can’t forecast much beyond Thanksgiving at this point. 

EPS has some cool air spilling east around Thanksgiving but for the most part it's cold west, mild east like the past 8+ years. 

The Nina background state looks permanent 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Weenie 2

Low of 27 in Cherry Hill this morning along with a thick frost.

Question...my wife's van in the driveway had frost covering the entire windshield, but my car, which is parked in the street had no frost at all!  The only difference is that my car on the street is parked underneath a large oak tree that still has most of its leaves on it.

This is now the third or forth time that this has occurred this fall.  Besides the tree, I'm not sure why there's been no frost on the car...not complaining though! I just don't know why lol.

15 hours ago, MJO812 said:

Based off something in November? Good luck

Lol no. As my post said, based on the multi-year garbage Niña pattern we seem unable to escape.

Full disclaimer: I’d be thrilled if I were wrong.  But if I were a betting man, I’d be betting on continuity which, right now, doesn’t paint a pretty picture for us cold and snow lovers.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dieselbug said:

Low of 27 in Cherry Hill this morning along with a thick frost.

Question...my wife's van in the driveway had frost covering the entire windshield, but my car, which is parked in the street had no frost at all!  The only difference is that my car on the street is parked underneath a large oak tree that still has most of its leaves on it.

This is now the third or forth time that this has occurred this fall.  Besides the tree, I'm not sure why there's been no frost on the car...not complaining though! I just don't know why lol.

The oak tree above the car is affecting the radiation from the car.  It's kind of a blanket if you will

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Eduardo said:

Lol no. As my post said, based on the multi-year garbage Niña pattern we seem unable to escape.

Full disclaimer: I’d be thrilled if I were wrong.  But if I were a betting man, I’d be betting on continuity which, right now, doesn’t paint a pretty picture for us cold and snow lovers.

Probably somewhat of a hang over of the 3 yr Nina...hopefully we see a change as we head deeper into winter...even a 15-16 type winter (3 weeks of winter) would work after last year's ratter.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Brian5671 said:

Probably somewhat of a hang over of the 3 yr Nina...hopefully we see a change as we head deeper into winter...even a 15-16 type winter (3 weeks of winter) would work after last year's ratter.

Vortex record strong going into December is not great for a snowy start. My bet would be that any changes we would see will be when that starts to weaken towards the starts of January 

• Like 1