Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Met Autumn 2023 Banter

bristolri_wx

20 hours ago, tunafish said:

Is this a Saturday morning routine?  Going hunting or to the range? Or are you just another soft-as-baby-poo fake tough guy who gets scared of everything they see on the TV and internet?

6 foot 4 277 lbs born and raised in a poorer neighborhood where daily fights were common place. Never was a tough guy but a lover. However not soft at all. Your condescending attitude shows and tells me a lot. You know the only thing that scares me is my wife,, ha. Would appreciate it if you just STFU

• Like 1

Want to thank everyone who expressed there condolences here, Its been a tough 10 week period with the deaths of my Dad, BIL and Mom over this period as well as the tragic events in Lewiston this week on top of it too, We're working on as a family on settling the estate as my parents were in a condo so we have a short time to liquidate, As per my moms request, There is no service but a private last showing today for the immediate family to say our last good byes, There will be an online obit that i will post once i'm done drafting it,  As with life, Time will heal but the loss of loved ones will always be in my heart, Again, Thanks, Jeff

• Like 17
  • Sad 7

45 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

if a ski resort needs to make fake snow then it shouldn't exist 

I know you're trolling because that's what you do..but relying on natural snow only means about a 6-8 week season and only in far NNE resorts based on climo, which makes skiing anywhere in the east unprofitable and non-existent.   So a ridiculous comment..

but nice call on the 80 last week.

21 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

I know you're trolling because that's what you do..but relying on natural snow only means about a 6-8 week season and only in far NNE resorts based on climo, which makes skiing anywhere in the east unprofitable and non-existent.   So a ridiculous comment..

but nice call on the 80 last week.

find a recreational activity that doesn't require making fake snow every week

• Weenie 1

Not sure what Forky’s motivation is for that resentment… but snow making has become immoral. No sympathy from me.   It’s a particularly bad look when you consider how little of the population actually skis. Much to the possible chagrin of the people that are involved in the discussion you are a minority.  The problem is it’s a gigantic expenditure of energy and a massive carbon footprint to appease a very very small segment of the population, when it does not benefit anything but an ephemeral entertainment pleasure, yet will cost tremendous to the ecology. Here,

Phys.org: “The first-ever national study to assess the impact of developing artificial snow shows the pressure the process is putting on the climate, with the equivalent of nearly 17,000 homes' worth of annual energy needed to produce snow for yearly ski operations in just Canada alone.

Publishing their findings in the journal Current Issues in Tourism, experts from the University of Waterloo, in Canada, and the University of Innsbruck, Austria, found 130,095 tons CO2e are needed to produce the estimated 42 million cubic meters of machine-made snow in Canada in an average winter. For context, this is comparable to 155,141 acres of forest for one year sequestering the comparable amount of carbon.”

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Think of it like a ski area is just irrigating their trails like a golf course or millions of American yards all summer.  Ski areas just do their irrigation when it’s cold, ha.

Although one could easily argue against watering grass too.

get rid of lawns and golf courses too, duh

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Two absolutely ridiculous comments. 

How so?

Information I provided is based on empirical data, JD. Honestly, there’s some things you need to learn how to accept because based on actual measured data, and the implications to the climate is real whether you believe it or not.

21 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

How so?

Information I provided is based on empirical data, JD. Honestly, there’s some things you need to learn how to accept because based on actual measured data, and the implications to the climate is real whether you believe it or not.

So John..with all due respect, maybe you should not turn on your lights, or drive your car, or use your cell phone, or run your heat or AC, or cook your food, or use your laptop…etc etc…cuz it’s all a carbon footprint.  

So you believe it’s a crisis, and I certainly don’t. So we’ll just agree to disagree I guess.    Nothing personal whatsoever.  I like you, and find you very intelligent. But I just disagree on that whole idea whatsoever.  But it’s all good. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Not sure what Forky’s motivation is for that resentment… but snow making has become immoral. No sympathy from me.   It’s a particularly bad look when you consider how little of the population actually skis. Much to the possible chagrin of the people that are involved in the discussion you are a minority.  The problem is it’s a gigantic expenditure of energy and a massive carbon footprint to appease a very very small segment of the population, when it does not benefit anything but an ephemeral entertainment pleasure, yet will cost tremendous to the ecology. Here,

Phys.org: “The first-ever national study to assess the impact of developing artificial snow shows the pressure the process is putting on the climate, with the equivalent of nearly 17,000 homes' worth of annual energy needed to produce snow for yearly ski operations in just Canada alone.

Publishing their findings in the journal Current Issues in Tourism, experts from the University of Waterloo, in Canada, and the University of Innsbruck, Austria, found 130,095 tons CO2e are needed to produce the estimated 42 million cubic meters of machine-made snow in Canada in an average winter. For context, this is comparable to 155,141 acres of forest for one year sequestering the comparable amount of carbon.”

How about the carbon footprint of golf in the US.  (If you've done that calculation in the golf thread, which I never peruse, please let me know.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

How so?

It’s definitely something the industry wrestles with.  More and more money goes into low-e guns, fan guns and other lower energy infrastructure.

I’m not going to sit here and tell anyone it’s the best way to do things, but humans do a lot of things that aren’t ideal.  The energy usage is the nut to crack… the water just melts and goes back into the same reservoir it came out of.  Plus it rains enough in winter to refill it on the go. 

One can really go down the rabbit hole of golf courses too.

The pros of snowmaking are that it literally drives whole economies in many places of the world that would have zero economy too.  The downstream effect of no snowmaking would close the industry and be akin to manufacturing cities and towns when the plants shut down.

Its definitely not an easy discussion.

If snowmaking is going to be banned, there needs to be lots of other carbon-intensive, recreational activities banned too. People have already mentioned golf, but recreational boating, transatlantic/pacific leisure trips, etc are a few low hanging fruit!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

How so?

Yea screw all the winter economies to reduce carbon so joe blow doesn't raise his temp 1.5 degrees on the low temp. You CC alarmists are the absolute worst decision makers on the planet. Just pure hype. Planet is warming, BFD 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4