• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wake Me Up When September Ends..Obs/Diso

40/70 Benchmark

IMG_5324.thumb.jpeg.c32345a7015e0ebfbfe22944db747440.jpegIMG_5320.thumb.jpg.ae00681750fee3be439d4715dde52933.jpg

Looked cool, mostly vertical motion into the base.  Nothing threatening and it dissipated quickly as it looked like any rotation/updraft was father east towards Manchester south of the higher returns.  Just some gusty (30s) winds, spotty rains, and decent lightning.  Core looked good though.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, MarkO said:

Lots of large trees down in Andover. Wife had to take alternate route home from Billerica due to tree down.

I just spoke with a fellow coach who lives in Andover. A lot of tree damage. He is estimating half the town may be without power. The HS football game got postponed to tomorrow evening.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Nice man that first flash and instant thunder should have been a heads up.

I had that happen at my condo in Dorchester. Was on my laptop. Flash boom...thought my condo got hit. Neighbor ran outside said he felt a shock as he was doing some plumbing. I looked up and noticed the arcing from the pole in front of my condo. It hit the insulators to the top wires. To this day, never felt anything like it. Like a flash bomb went off in my condo with my ears against a cannon.

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I had that happen at my condo in Dorchester. Was on my laptop. Flash boom...thought my condo got hit. Neighbor ran outside said he felt a shock as he was doing some plumbing. I looked up and noticed the arcing from the pole in front of my condo. It hit the insulators to the top wires. To this day, never felt anything like it. Like a flash bomb went off in my condo with my ears against a cannon.

I can remember sitting at an intersection in Sea Isle City, NJ during a storm 30 years ago and right across the street a bolt hit a condo and blew back the top of the roof. Went from six to midnight.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WhiteLawns said:

Enjoy the 15 mph gusts when you get there!

I don't think I'd make it...traffic getting from 291 to 91 in Springfield is usually pretty brutal around this time and traffic getting to the highway is usually a bit. 

Stuff popping around here though so I'll just plan on local

27 minutes ago, WhiteLawns said:

I really don’t understand why half of these storms around here get warned. Literally a rainstorm with some lighting.

lol, that’s what some people around Vermont think a severe thunderstorm is judging by comments on BTV’s social pages.

Like if it’s strobing lightning and heavy rain, maybe a gust front, it’s a severe storm.

By actual severe definitions storms in New England have to be over-warned at an extremely high rate. 

7 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Who else had a mom that would yell at them to stay away from the windows during thunder storms? 

We were told not to use a phone in a thunderstorm in case the lightning hit the line and electrocuted you, we were told this had happened to Joe Witte (though he obviously survived)

17 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

lol, that’s what some people around Vermont think a severe thunderstorm is judging by comments on BTV’s social pages.

Like if it’s strobing lightning and heavy rain, maybe a gust front, it’s a severe storm.

By actual severe definitions storms in New England have to be over-warned at an extremely high rate. 

I would say more over-warned in area than in severity. Usually the warning text is pretty accurate for the max expected hail/wind anywhere in the warning, but it's usually such a localized area.

• Thanks 1