• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September Discobs 2023

George BM

This is a deceptive heatwave...in Vegas, they call this a reprieve.  Very low humidity for this area...a continuation of the same general pattern.  Just got a bike ride in which I thought had potential to be a miserable decision, but turned out to be more tolerable than I expected, especially with the breeze.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, astarck said:

1989 was the last time and it was a tie. The last time outright was 1970.

I dug a little deeper for DCA. Counts by month (the count is higher than the period of record because of ties):

March: 1 (1907)
April: 2 (1960, 1976)
May: 4 (1889, 1963, 1996, 2004)
June: 35
July: 83
August: 42 
September: 13
October: 0 (In 2019 DCA was one degree away with 98 in October, the annual high was 99)

• Like 3

So not only have the trees started to drop leaves due to the drought conditions up here. Just this weekend I started to notice corn fields, that usually are not cut down till well into Oct/Nov, are being cut early due to no ears of corn on them. These are the feed corn fields. And what has not yet been cut the stalks are already drying out. There are a few hold outs still trying to keep their lawns somewhat green. But most including myself gave up months ago. My drought tolerant plants are still holding on but I think I have lost a brand new mini azalea bush. I am hoping it has just gone dormant. The tree line behind my house is really struggling to keep leaves on. Now this oppressive heat building back in for a few days which will keep us all inside again. I do not expect much fall foliage over here at all this year. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, astarck said:

I dug a little deeper for DCA. Counts by month (the count is higher than the period of record because of ties):

March: 1 (1907)
April: 2 (1960, 1976)
May: 4 (1889, 1963, 1996, 2004)
June: 35
July: 83
August: 42 
September: 13
October: 0 (In 2019 DCA was one degree away with 98 in October, the annual high was 99)

March 1907 is amazing.  There are 4 record highs that still stand including the hottest March temp (93).

1 hour ago, MN Transplant said:

March 1907 is amazing.  There are 4 record highs that still stand including the hottest March temp (93).

I have access to local weather records back to 1893. 1958 is the halfway point. It is amazing how many more +90 days occurred pre 1958 compared to post 1958. I have been checking daily for over a month.

A high of 94 yesterday and low of 59 at 6:30.

44 minutes ago, pazzo83 said:

there will prob be widespread 100+F temps today (including DCA if we keep the NW wind).

DCA is running well ahead of yesterday while IAD is a touch ahead.  The clouds hung around yesterday so the comparisons are a bit tough to make.  My station is actually a degree behind.  

Just now, MN Transplant said:

DCA is running well ahead of yesterday while IAD is a touch ahead.  The clouds hung around yesterday so the comparisons are a bit tough to make.  My station is actually a degree behind.  

yeah bc of the clouds yesterday, my station is 2-3F warmer than yesterday.

• mappy unpinned this topic