Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
September 2023

Stormlover74

9 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

as many as live on a big open field next to a runway :)

The airports were actually cooler this week due to the influence of the sea breezes. The ASOS units at the airports are located on grassy strips. Many of ours are close to water like EWR,LGA, and JFK. But some would say how about the tarmac and all that concrete? Well  the sensors are probably placed similarly to a backyard Wunderground station in any of those airport neighborhoods. Heck, there may even be more grass than around the average residents houses in those neighborhoods. The neighborhoods contain miles and miles of paved driveways, sidewalks, and streets. So the airport represents the same land use as the local residential neighborhoods with probably more grass. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rjay said:

I miss the cool late August and September nights.  We still get them but less often.  It's gotten ridiculous over the last decade. 

Not just that, but as a mariner I can tell you these constant disturbances, even the smaller ones offshore, really have changed things for us. We try to tell the regulators that closing fishing seasons in summer and opening them in the fall is not working for us, but they don't listen. Today we were set to go to Breezy Point from Sayreville NJ but had to cancel when the pea soup rolled in with 70% chance of thunderstorms on SE winds, plus an ongoing swell that is reaching inshore. I can take a little rain, but lightning and hail on a small boat far from home port ( a few miles is far when you're on a small craft and lightning is striking all around you while you get tossed about like The Minnow ) isn't my idea of fun. Plus, it is really uncomfortable out. I miss the cooler days of late Aug and Sept. Pea soup, thick fog and humidity and absurd temps make me want to hit the road for Maine....

• Like 2

75 / 72 southerly flow and cloudy.  Where / when the sun comes out it warms up quickly to low/,mid 80s.  In the southerly humid flow till Wed (9/13) overall warm , humid mainly cloudy so nothing more than 80s when and where the sun is out, and potential slow moving soakers.   Lee leaning right on latest guidance.  By mid month more NW/W flow brings in some dryer and near normal conditons.  Still see ridging long the EC towards the end of the month to end warmer.

https://cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES16/ABI/GIFS/GOES16-NE-GEOCOLOR-600x600.gif

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

That’s really the point when we now see from the NYC micronet how upper 90s was the norm for maxes during this heatwave in the densely packed neighborhoods around Brooklyn and Queens. So letting the Central Park ASOS OBS drift so far from reality with the tree growth doesn’t really make any sense. These urban inner city neighborhoods were hotter than Newark this week. The UHI in Queens is much stronger than Newark with 2 days not dropping below 80°. 

Cornoa, Queens at ground level.

9/8…92/75

9/7….98/81

9/6….96/80

9/5….94/78

9/4…..90/77

9/3…..93/69

One of the largest contrasts i recall was July 2006 NYC/ EWR (NE-NJ) if you recall June 2006 was quite wet and really enhanced the overgrowth effects.

Records:

Highs:

EWR: 94 (1964)
NYC: 94 (1915)
LGA: 93 (2016)

Lows:

EWR: 48 (1938)
NYC: 48 (1883)
LGA: 53 (1956)

Historical:

1775: The Independence Hurricane slammed into Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. Many ships were sunk and buildings demolished. 4,000 people died in what is considered to be Canada's deadliest hurricane disaster. 

1921 - A dying tropical depression unloaded 38.2 inches of rain upon the town of Thrall in southeastern Texas killing 224 persons. 36.4 inches fell in 18 hours. (David Ludlum) (The Weather Channel)

1944 - The ""Great Atlantic Hurricane"" ravaged the east coast. The storm killed 22 persons and caused 63 million dollars damage in the Chesapeake Bay area, then besieged New England killing 390 persons and causing another 100 million dollars damage. (The Weather Channel)

1965: Hurricane Betsy slammed into New Orleans on the evening of September 9, 1965. 110 mph winds and power failures were reported in New Orleans. The eye of the storm passed to the southwest of New Orleans on a northwesterly track. The northern and western eyewalls covered Southeast Louisiana and the New Orleans area from about 8 PM until 4 AM the next morning. In Thibodaux, winds of 130 mph to 140 mph were reported. The Baton Rouge weather bureau operated under auxiliary power, without telephone communication.

1971 - Hurricane Ginger formed, and remained a hurricane until the 5th of October. The 27 day life span was the longest of record for any hurricane in the North Atlantic Ocean. (The Weather Channel)

1987 - Thunderstorms produced severe weather in the central U.S. Thunderstorms in West Texas spawned four tornadoes in the vicinity of Lubbock, and produced baseball size hail and wind gusts to 81 mph at Ropesville. Thunderstorms produced hail two inches in diameter at Downs KS and Harvard NE, breaking car windows at Harvard. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1988 - Florence became a hurricane and headed for the Central Gulf Coast Region. Florence made landfall early the next morning, passing over New Orleans LA. Winds gusts to 80 mph were recorded at an oil rig south of the Chandeleur Islands. Wind gusts around New Orleans reached 61 mph. Total property damage from Florence was estimated at 2.5 million dollars. (Storm Data) (The National Weather Summary)

1989 - The first snow of the season began to whiten the mountains of Wyoming early in the morning, as for two days a moist and unusually cold storm system affected the state. By the morning of the 11th, a foot of snow covered the ground at Burgess Junction. Thunderstorms developing along a cold front crossing the Ohio Valley produced severe weather in Indiana during the late afternoon and early evening hours. Strong thunderstorm winds blew down a tent at Palestine injuring seven persons, and frequent lightning interrupted the Purdue and Miami of Ohio football game, clearing the stands. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

2013: Historical rainfall occurred in northern Colorado from September 9 to September 16 and resulted in severe flash flooding along the northern Front Range of Colorado and subsequent river flooding downstream along the South Platte River and its tributaries. The heaviest rain fell along the Front Range northwest of Denver on September 11–12.

Am continuing theme of spotty life threatening FF, road washouts along and N of I78 PA/NJ into se NYS, especially metro and hillsides by 00z/15. Already spotty 3+ from what I can tell ne NJ and these two weekend afternoons-evening will be vigorous. 

Looks like Wednesday the 13th is the packed PW axis in what I think is LEE assisted ULL jet structure/convergence---6 hour 2-4" event somewhere near I95. 

Thereafter, presuming Lee gets lost in the northward shuffle and does not accelerate, then problems develop next weekend as GEFS/GEPS/EPS guidance are increasingly going with a deepening trough in the Great Lakes and multiple ensembles have decent 24 hour rainfall near the 17th e LI e New England.  So for me, I wait before saying expanding Lee wind-pf fields not scraping e New England. We should know more late Monday the 11th.

Not starting a topic on this 7th-14th heavy rain period, until I'm absolutely sure of more than "isolated" 10" in the NYC subforum.  Note the LSR's from OKX/PHI on the rain reports. For now, SVR dominates the past two days in extensiveness.  That should change this weekend.

Also 00z/9 CSU Machine Learning GEFS Probs are of interest next weekend on FF.  Day 7-8 has a good chance of failure to produce but it is of some interest to me as this pattern unfolds for the northeast USA.

I'm not tossing a bunch of graphics out since I won't be able to find-verify, since expect many future comments coming. For now, I think the potential around here is a bit underplayed.

Walt 951A/9

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

The airports were actually cooler this week due to the influence of the sea breezes. The ASOS units at the airports are located on grassy strips. Many of ours are close to water like EWR,LGA, and JFK. But some would say how about the tarmac and all that concrete? Well  the sensors are probably placed similarly to a backyard Wunderground station in any of those airport neighborhoods. Heck, there may even be more grass than around the average residents houses in those neighborhoods. The neighborhoods contain miles and miles of paved driveways, sidewalks, and streets. So the airport represents the same land use as the local residential neighborhoods with probably more grass. 

If I remember correctly, Newark Airport weather station is over grass.  Central Park is okay for temperature readings, but it shouldn't be under a tree.

25 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

If I remember correctly, Newark Airport weather station is over grass.  Central Park is okay for temperature readings, but it shouldn't be under a tree.

The old Central Park station when it wasn’t under a tree through the 1980s was usually warmer than LGA and sometimes EWR. Makes sense since Central Park is further from the water than LGA and EWR. The July of 1977 heatwave wouldn’t be as big a story had the Central Park equipment been under a tree like it is today. No chance these days anymore of multiple 100s and highs warmer than Newark or LGA. Repeat that July 1977 heatwave today and there would probably be no 100s at Central Park. 

Data for NY CITY CENTRAL PARK, NY
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Date
Max Temperature 
Min Temperature 
1977-07-13 93 73
1977-07-14 92 73
1977-07-15 96 72
1977-07-16 98 75
1977-07-17 97 78
1977-07-18 100 78
1977-07-19 102 78
1977-07-20 92 75
1977-07-21 104 78

Data for NEWARK LIBERTY INTL AP, NJ
Date
Max Temperature 
Min Temperature 
1977-07-13 92 73
1977-07-14 91 73
1977-07-15 93 71
1977-07-16 97 72
1977-07-17 99 77
1977-07-18 98 75
1977-07-19 100 78
1977-07-20 90 75
1977-07-21 102 78

Data for LAGUARDIA AIRPORT, NY
Date
Max Temperature 
Min Temperature 
1977-07-13 92 72
1977-07-14 89 72
1977-07-15 90 69
1977-07-16 96 72
1977-07-17 95 74
1977-07-18 95 76
1977-07-19 99 75
1977-07-20 90 74
1977-07-21 99 78
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SACRUS said:

One of the largest contrasts i recall was July 2006 NYC/ EWR (NE-NJ) if you recall June 2006 was quite wet and really enhanced the overgrowth effects.

Yeah, contrast the NYC number of 90 days in 2006 to 1977. No trees blocking the sensors in 1977 allowed NYC and EWR to get close. NYC was so far back in 2006 that it was ridiculous. 

Data for January 1, 2006 through December 31, 2006
State
Name
Station Type
Number of Days Max Temperature >= 90 
NJ PLAINFIELD COOP 30
NJ HARRISON COOP 30
NJ TETERBORO AIRPORT COOP 30
NJ TETERBORO AIRPORT WBAN 29
NJ NEWARK LIBERTY INTL AP WBAN 27
NJ CRANFORD COOP 24
NJ MIDLAND PARK COOP 24
NJ CANOE BROOK COOP 22
NY LAGUARDIA AIRPORT WBAN 22
NY BRONX COOP 21
CT DANBURY COOP 20
NY DOBBS FERRY-ARDSLEY COOP 18
NY WEST POINT COOP 18
NJ CALDWELL ESSEX COUNTY AP WBAN 16
NY MINEOLA COOP 16
NY NEW YORK AVE V BROOKLYN COOP 15
NY PORT JERVIS COOP 13
NY WANTAGH CEDAR CREEK COOP 13
CT NORWICH PUBLIC UTILITY PLANT COOP 12
NY JFK INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT WBAN 12
NJ ESSEX FELLS SERVICE BLDG COOP 11
NY SHIRLEY BROOKHAVEN AIRPORT WBAN 11
CT MERIDEN MARKHAM MUNICIPAL AP WBAN 11
NY ISLIP-LI MACARTHUR AP WBAN 10
NY MONTGOMERY ORANGE COUNTY AP WBAN 10
NY RIVERHEAD RESEARCH FARM COOP 9
NY MIDDLETOWN 2 NW COOP 9
NY FARMINGDALE REPUBLIC AP WBAN 9
NY NY CITY CENTRAL PARK WBAN 8

Data for January 1, 1977 through December 31, 1977
State
Name
Station Type
Number of Days Max Temperature >= 90 
CT NEW HAVEN COOP 34
NY NEW YORK LAUREL HILL COOP 30
NY WEST POINT COOP 28
NJ PLAINFIELD COOP 27
NJ NEWARK LIBERTY INTL AP WBAN 26
NJ CRANFORD COOP 25
NY DOBBS FERRY-ARDSLEY COOP 25
NY NY WESTERLEIGH STAT IS COOP 23
NY NY CITY CENTRAL PARK WBAN 23
NJ TETERBORO AIRPORT WBAN 23
NJ CANOE BROOK COOP 22
NJ LITTLE FALLS COOP 21
CT STAMFORD 5 N COOP 21
NY NEW YORK AVE V BROOKLYN COOP 19
NY MARYKNOLL COOP 19
NY SCARSDALE COOP 19
NY PATCHOGUE 2 N COOP 17
NY SUFFERN COOP 17
NY WALDEN 1 ESE COOP 17
NJ WANAQUE RAYMOND DAM COOP 16
NJ RINGWOOD COOP 16
NY LAGUARDIA AIRPORT WBAN 14

2 hours ago, SACRUS said:

1989 - The first snow of the season began to whiten the mountains of Wyoming early in the morning, as for two days a moist and unusually cold storm system affected the state. By the morning of the 11th, a foot of snow covered the ground at Burgess Junction. Thunderstorms developing along a cold front crossing the Ohio Valley produced severe weather in Indiana during the late afternoon and early evening hours. Strong thunderstorm winds blew down a tent at Palestine injuring seven persons, and frequent lightning interrupted the Purdue and Miami of Ohio football game, clearing the stands. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

In the mountains of NW Colorado we were skiing a few inches of slush one day then 2 days later it was thigh deep cold fluff. We accessed it with Jeeps and Landcruisers, traded drivers so we could all get a few laps. It was the best September skiing I've ever done :)

• Like 2