• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August Discobs 2023

George BM

From Mount Holly AFD. Yup, about sums it up.

A closed upper low will lift slowly toward the Canadian Maritimes and absorb back into the flow through Sunday all while an expansive, ~600 dam (+2 to 3 standard deviations above normal) upper ridge builds across the central part of the country. At the surface, high pressure will remain in place tonight and begin to shift offshore into Sunday. The result thus far has been a superb Saturday under sunny skies, a dry west to northwest breeze around 10-15 mph, and below normal temperatures peaking near 80 degrees this afternoon. Dew points have held steady in the low 50s, with even some localized 40s, and has almost given the air more of an early fall feel to it rather than summer. For tonight, the west/northwest breeze will diminish to primarily 5 mph or less as the boundary layer decouples, though expect a southwesterly gradient component to be held overnight. Skies will clear and temperatures will fall to the mid 50s to near 60 degrees across much of the area, some 5-8 degrees below normal. If you`ve been looking for a night to give the AC a breather and sleep with the windows open, look no further.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, GramaxRefugee said:

(Add'l Canaan Valley)

Well I found this from a 1996 FWS report...

"The growing (frost free) season averages about 90 days in length. The 
average date of the last freeze is June 1 and the average date of the first frost 
is August 30. Frost can occur on the Valley floor during any month. On the 
average, one out of six Julys will experience a temperature of freezing or 
below. The growing season is too short for most-crops and is about the same 
as Fairbanks, Alaska."

I think this was written before the VaTech station was installed,  but not sure. It doesn't appear to mention first freeze either. 

CANAAN VALLEY NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE ... - ECOS https://ecos.fws.gov/ServCat/DownloadFile/43764?Reference=43210

lol that's insane.

• Like 1

Right at 60 this morning, still not terrible for August. Running -0.8 for the month so far here. Agree with the above ^^, I've had one +90 day so far this year. Maybe get another or two this week...

This has been a tame summer. Really no extreme heat and just a few days where it was hot, though I may have some bias after experiencing desert heat for 2 weeks.

The heat dome is visible on satellite: https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/conus_band.php?sat=G16&band=GEOCOLOR&length=12&dim=undefined

On 8/19/2023 at 9:57 AM, Kay said:

Low of 58 at 2 nearby stations.

Took a walk around 9:30 last night, really micro-local temp differences in the neighb, hills vs low lying. I walk a ton around here and it happens but particularly noticeable.

That happens in my area, as well. There's a small ridge that runs SW->NE right through my neighborhood, and you can tell the difference in temp on the cool mornings. There's a park and trail that run along a creek that's probably ~40' lower than the lowest section of neighborhood and you can really feel it down there.

The biggest difference I've noticed is on a trail a couple miles away. You round this bend near the creek and there's a section about 100 yards long that's no more than 10' lower than the area surrounding it and the temp difference is pretty amazing. 

• Like 1

Sooooo....the haziness today, is there ANOTHER round of wildfire smoke coming from somewhere overhead today? I swear I could smell it a bit when I left Fort Belvoir over an hour ago.  :( 

17 hours ago, MDstorm said:

Closing out one of the “easiest” met summers that I have experienced in this area. 

IMG_1098.thumb.jpeg.335307696f210696b4fd984678485c8d.jpeg

And, well...I'm thinking that we probably could've planned our two-week long (staring in two days) trek through the southwest U.S. to the Grand Canyon, and then back to NoVA, a little bit better. But we'll do okay...just need to dress lighter.  ;) 

• Like 1

I had a high of 90 yesterday. I used the GEM for my forecast yesterday morning as it projected a high of 90 when the GFS said 96. The GFS is sometimes wildly inaccurate with heat.

A good example is evident this morning with Friday afternoon expectations. With no precip. the 06z GFS is wacko at 18z with regional temperatures compared to the 00z ECMWF which seems reasonable.

3 hours ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

I was in southern VA yesterday afternoon.  89F in Martinsville.   88F in Afton.  No problem reaching mid 90s out here.  93F at 7PM when I got back.   Hell-hole.

Might want to check your measuring equipment. OKV was 86 at 7:15

I don't think people realize how lucky we are to be average temps with a 597dm ridge over us. We're dodging freight trains here weather wise this year.

Seems like we’re on the cooler side of that ridge as opposed to a SE/Bermuda High setup. What we really need is that blocking to occur in Canada in the shorter days of winter when cold can build instead of heat.

This morning the air was uncomfortable for serious running, pre-dawn. 

Now it's only 5-7F warmer than it was during the 5am hour w/ dewpoints nearly 20F lower w/ the breeze making it feel like September.

Overall, a fairly similar day to this past Friday.

Currently IAD at 82/49.

1 minute ago, George BM said:

This morning the air was uncomfortable for serious running, pre-dawn. 

Now it's only 5-7F warmer than it was during the 5am hour w/ dewpoints nearly 20F lower w/ the breeze making it feel like September.

Overall, a fairly similar day to this past Friday.

Currently IAD at 82/49.

Yup. The year without a summer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic