• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Rtd208

Off topic but does anyone have an issue with Yellowjacket’s this year? I had a hornets nest and an underground Yellowjacket next a few weeks ago now the past few days yellow jackets are hovering all over my backyard. Maybe it’s the humidity this year and the not so cold winters we’ve been having

Off topic but does anyone have an issue with Yellowjacket’s this year? I had a hornets nest and an underground Yellowjacket next a few weeks ago now the past few days yellow jackets are hovering all over my backyard. Maybe it’s the humidity this year and the not so cold winters we’ve been having

Literally dealing with this now

Yellow jacket nest under siding. They are getting spicy so can’t go near it. Exterminator coming tomorrow

And just today, a wasp species built a mud mound on my front lawn. I’m being attacked over here

2 minutes ago, justinj said:

It’s probably because we’ve had a quite a few premature cool nights this month. Plenty of nights with lows in the 50’s. Tricking them into thinking it’s September already. That’s when they start going nuts because they can sense the end is near.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WestBabylonWeather said:

Yup. That was a record. I was the only one in my office. Several coworkers had totaled cars. It was foot of rain. Never seen anything like it.

The lakes in brightwaters became one with the concourse canal. Literally raging rapids

• Like 1

Just now, WestBabylonWeather said:

Yellow jacket nest under siding. They are getting spicy so can’t go near it. Exterminator coming tomorrow

And just today, a wasp species built a mud mound on my front lawn. I’m being attacked over here

The mud nest is a mud dauber. Mostly harmless. They nest alone.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, justinj said:

YES!  same here.  Yellowjacket nest under the concrete slab of my front porch.  The swarm when I walk by or water the flower pots.  Don’t want to kill them but getting annoying.  Only the first frost will end this.  Know what you are talking about.

Rain and thunderstorms are likely tonight. A general 0.50"-1.50" rainfall is likely with locally higher amounts of up to 3.00". Tomorrow will again see readings near or somewhat above normal before slightly cooler air moves into the region.

Abnormal heat could persist across the southern U.S. into the fourth week of August. Afterward, the intensity of the heat should fade even as the heat expands in geographic scope.

In the Pacific Northwest, an extreme heat event is underway. Numerous daily and monthly records fell. Records included:

Eugene: 103° (old record: 101°, 2010)
Hillsboro, OR: 107° (old record: 101°, 1953 and 2008) ***New August record***
Portland: 108° (old record: 102°, 2008) ***New August record***
Salem: 105° (old record: 102°, 1942)
Troutdale, OR: 110° (old record: 101°, 2008) ***New August record***
Vancouver, WA: 108° (old record: 102°, 2008) ***New August record***

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was +3.3°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +1.2°C for the week centered around August 9. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged +3.32°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +1.12°C. El Niño conditions have developed and will likely continue to strengthen through at least the summer. The probability of an East-based El Niño event has increased.

The SOI was +3.64 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was -0.774 today.

On August 13 the MJO was in Phase 1 at an amplitude of 1.113 (RMM). The August 12-adjusted amplitude was 1.227 (RMM).

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied 51% probability that New York City will have a cooler than normal August (1991-2020 normal). August will likely finish with a mean temperature near 76.0° (0.1° below normal).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WestBabylonWeather said:

The ones in my backyard aren’t nesting they’re just hovering around im assuming looking for food 

20 minutes ago, justinj said:

I have yellow jackets all the time in my apartment as do my nextdoor neighbors. We are attributing it to an abundance of construction going on next door to us on our block where an 8 story building is going up. Yellow jackets can deliver a mean sting which is worse if you're allergic. I have not been stung yet. They do not live long once they're indoors. 

WX/PT

39 minutes ago, justinj said:

There was a huge bald faced hornet hive in my yard earlier this summer but we got it taken out. I also saw some cicada killers flying around and they were absolutely gigantic