Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
August model and weather disco

weathafella

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

We've had a ton this summer in the woods behind my house....definitely more than I normally see in the summer. Usually I see them more in winter because it's easier to spot them with no foliage/undergrowth. But this summer, I've glanced into the woods many times and saw them moving.

Also on a brighter note, the yellowjackets this summer have seen quite a bit fewer than normal. I'm wondering if some of the ground nests got flooded out during the heavier rain events. I'm sure I'll step on a nest in September now that I said this.

You fucking Ginxed me. I just ran over a nest with my lawn mower. Got stung twice. I fired those bastards up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

You fucking Ginxed me. I just ran over a nest with my lawn mower. Got stung twice. I fired those bastards up.

Yeah they're still around. Took care of three nests a week or so ago. Not sure the nests are as large as most years. 

This however is large. Noticed it today. Bald-faced nest in the wood. Judging by the traffic it's a doozy.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

NAM going wild on south coast.

Pretty big difference between 3km and 12km. Right along and just north of the warm front is going to get smoked with rain. That may end up being over the Sound or on Long Island through extreme southern Rhode Island and outer Cape, but there is going to be a swath of like 3-5'' of rain. 

• Like 1

Just now, weatherwiz said:

Pretty big difference between 3km and 12km. Right along and just north of the warm front is going to get smoked with rain. That may end up being over the Sound or on Long Island through extreme southern Rhode Island and outer Cape, but there is going to be a swath of like 3-5'' of rain. 

Yeah, although 3K was fairly far to the north too. I'm still leery of this getting to the S coast...but not impossible. Kind of hope it does because it's been boring lol.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah, although 3K was fairly far to the north too. I'm still leery of this getting to the S coast...but not impossible. Kind of hope it does because it's been boring lol.

I wonder if there will be two max areas of rainfall totals. One very close to the sfc warm front/SLP track and perhaps a second farther inland closer to the H7 warm front? Based on where the NAM/GFS are developing and tracking the sfc low it seems very hard pressed to believe the sfc warm front will ever make it to the coast, but the outer Cape I think would have the best shot. 

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I wonder if there will be two max areas of rainfall totals. One very close to the sfc warm front/SLP track and perhaps a second farther inland closer to the H7 warm front? Based on where the NAM/GFS are developing and tracking the sfc low it seems very hard pressed to believe the sfc warm front will ever make it to the coast, but the outer Cape I think would have the best shot. 

Yeah probably an area with the 850-700 WF and then near the srfc WF.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kdxken said:

Yeah they're still around. Took care of three nests a week or so ago. Not sure the nests are as large as most years. 

This however is large. Noticed it today. Bald-faced nest in the wood. Judging by the traffic it's a doozy.

Guessing that pile remains untouched until several freezes have hit.

Tomorrow's event is becoming smaller for much of Maine.  Okay with me as Public Lands' peer review field trip is tomorrow and Wednesday, downeast this time, overnight at Lubec. 
(Of course, a noted forestry professor while I was at U. Maine liked to say, "There's no such thing as inclement weather, just improper clothing."  In a deep south accent.)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Euro tries to build the ridge into here only for it to get beaten back by more troughing.

These models are finding any excuse possible to not let ridging establish itself in the Northeast.  Better blocking than we see in winter on some of these runs.

B7A18A76-F5E6-4619-BB67-9811A57124E0.thumb.png.01fbe5c700c184d9167640edba9d53eb.png

9BE39296-61CA-4880-B026-A95991347D75.thumb.png.fc8e3df6b7a654429a03fa7b47b965c1.png

2871764B-6EBA-4682-BC64-16A2DF1DCC29.thumb.png.f20640d379b5e3d0e2098ffb6309613e.png

I've changed my mind. I don't want it cold. This summer was too short.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Guessing that pile remains untouched until several freezes have hit.

Tomorrow's event is becoming smaller for much of Maine.  Okay with me as Public Lands' peer review field trip is tomorrow and Wednesday, downeast this time, overnight at Lubec. 
(Of course, a noted forestry professor while I was at U. Maine liked to say, "There's no such thing as inclement weather, just improper clothing."  In a deep south accent.)

Yeah that is a brutal white faced hornets nest in that pile. My guess is several hundred hornets at minimum based on the frequency of the traffic in and out of the nest. Dig into that wood pile on a 20F November morning and see how big the nest remnants are. 

• Like 4

At the moment, **and certainly
good news**, is that forecast instability values are too paltry to
support a risk for severe weather; given rather strong flow fields,
severe weather potential would then be increased if greater
instability values can materialize, though it would seem this would
have to be through more sunshine/warmer temps.

Ugh <_<

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah that is a brutal white faced hornets nest in that pile. My guess is several hundred hornets at minimum based on the frequency of the traffic in and out of the nest. Dig into that wood pile on a 20F November morning and see how big the nest remnants are. 

I got stung by several of those suckers in high school. The pain was brutal. First sting felt like a stick went through my arm. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I got stung by several of those suckers in high school. The pain was brutal. First sting felt like a stick went through my arm. 

Bald-Faced Hornet (2.0)

Schmidt describes this sting, which can throb for almost five minutes before subsiding, as “rich, hearty, slightly crunchy. Similar to getting your hand mashed in a revolving door.”

• Haha 3