• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023 - tracking the tropics

mcglups

If this goes on to do what the GFS general theme over the last      32 cycles      ... has been unable to deviate from showing, this will be a first in modeling history that any guidance was so exactingly correct from 13 days lead ...  - or whatever/how-many days it's been.   That theme has not deviated enough to consider any other track - not really.

Gee, we wonder if it will pull that off when it shows a coastal bomb in the winter.

5 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

Wait..not being sarcastic but I thought this threat was effectively over as of this morning? 

Decent lapse rates, both mid-level and low-level, combined with adequate shear, and mixed-layer CAPE 2500-3000 J/KG...there will be some nasty cells today. 

EDIT: whoops, thought I was in the main thread :weenie: 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

28 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

If this goes on to do what the GFS general theme over the last      32 cycles      ... has been unable to deviate from showing, this will be a first in modeling history that any guidance was so exactingly correct from 13 days lead ...  - or whatever/how-many days it's been.   That theme has not deviated enough to consider any other track - not really.

Gee, we wonder if it will pull that off when it shows a coastal bomb in the winter.

If the modeled large scale winter pattern was consistently modeled and never really deviated, then I would suggest it would do ok with the expected winter storm.  I never saw the GFS or European forecast a large scale pattern developing that would have been favorable for Lee to make a LF...

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, FXWX said:

If the modeled large scale winter pattern was consistently modeled and never really deviated, then I would suggest it would do ok with the expected winter storm.  I never saw the GFS or European forecast a large scale pattern developing that would have been favorable for Lee to make a LF...

Nope, never did.

I'm impressed for two reasons: ...the consistency from get go - many days.  Picking this up at D12 and never deviating - granted, there are more days to come.  Wrt tropics no less. 

The other aspect is a bit more abstract - this is all going on in a hemisphere where the AAM was switching from + to -, also reflected in a mode flips of both the PNA (positive) and NAO, (negative) this next week.   That type of relay opens the door for  trends to take place in the materialized guidance ...     nope.