Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 13-14th Nor'easter Threat

NJwx85

10 minutes ago, allgame830 said:

Yeah we all know your thoughts and at this point it’s quite nauseating because your focus is so driven on the same models for every storm. Have you used your 5 posts for the day yet. The only thing your right on is major 12+ north of 84. However between 287 and 84 there most certainly could be at least a 3-6+ storm!

I love how he says “laughably inaccurate”, and “not even funny” in the same sentence. Does that make it a wash? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7
  • Weenie 1

16 minutes ago, Winterweatherlover said:

Not trying to be negative but part of why people get disappointed and say the models stink is you trust models and model runs that shouldn’t be trusted too much. The NAM is unfortunately not a reliable at all. 

It certainly consistently overstates QPF.

• Like 1

The UKMET did cutback some. Those 10:1 snow maps people insist on continuing to use are going to be laughably inaccurate and so overdone it’s not going to be funny. Ratios are going to be 5:1, maybe 7:1 if you’re lucky. I’m riding the RGEM/CMC/GFS like Sea Biscuit. The NAM (12k, 3k) is going to cutback 85% of what it just showed by tomorrow morning, that run was Lmfaoooo worthy, pure comedy. I think the Euro caves in the next couple of runs with that bogus juiced up inverted trough it was showing, which IMO isn’t happening. As far as the ICON, it already cutback from what it was showing last night and it’s resolution isn’t the best. This storm hasn’t changed since Friday. Like I said before and these latest runs haven’t changed my mind. This is an I-84 north major snowstorm with minimal accumulations south of there

Thanks Deb, great work.

• Haha 4
  • Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, larrye said:

It certainly consistently overstates QPF.

If it’s really a phased bomb in the right location a la NAM, there definitely could be big totals near the city, 10”+ because there would be 1-2”/hr rates easy in the CCB under a heavy band. But if it’s a more sloppy outcome and it phases too late like the GFS or it plows into CT like GGEM it could be just white rain at the end. Still a ton of uncertainty. 

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

If it’s really a phased bomb in the right location a la NAM, there definitely could be big totals near the city, 10”+ because there would be 1-2”/hr rates easy in the CCB under a heavy band. But if it’s a more sloppy outcome and it phases too late like the GFS or it plows into CT like GGEM it could be just white rain at the end. Still a ton of uncertainty. 

I'd take the CMC idea from 48-54...it would probably be mostly snow in the city despite what it shows if that unfolded.  the 700mb temps of -11 to -12C are colder than the magic number often used to determine if in a scenario you're trying to cool the airmass in a CCB scenario you want to see -10C or colder at 700 to be confident you're going to get down to 33-34 or less at the surface...this is a rule some older mets have used

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Winterweatherlover said:

Not trying to be negative but part of why people get disappointed and say the models stink is you trust models and model runs that shouldn’t be trusted too much. The NAM is unfortunately not a reliable at all. 

You also have to take history into account. March is a well known month for busts even in a good winter in areas just outside the city ( yes I know some places have slightly different climo and that does make a big difference ) but in general I'm skeptical of big snows in March IMBY. Never seen one. By big I mean 18 or over. I consider 4-6 a big event in March around here. 10 is huge.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

You also have to take history into account. March is a well known month for busts even in a good winter in areas just outside the city ( yes I know some places have slightly different climo and that does make a big difference ) but in general I'm skeptical of big snows in March IMBY. Never seen one. By big I mean 18 or over. I consider 4-6 a big event in March around here. 10 is huge.

Yes and we only have a 40-50 year sample size to base it on, but it works.

The one 10"+ storm was March 1993 which also changed to rain after dumping about a foot.

4-6 is perfectly fine for March for here.

• Weenie 1

Just now, LibertyBell said:

Yes and we only have a 40-50 year sample size to base it on, but it works.

The one 10"+ storm was March 1993 which also changed to rain after dumping about a foot.

4-6 is perfectly fine for March for here.

March 2018 was amazing here in suffolk

• Like 2

Just now, LibertyBell said:

Yep Suffolk is an amazing place to be for late developing Miller B's, I think there was close to 18 inches there?  We had 8" here which is an MECS any time but especially in March.

I had almost 20” I think it was March 21 or 22nd

• Like 1