Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/28/23 storm threat

Rjay

29 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Was light snow here in Metuchen from 6-8 pm with little accumulation and temps in the 36-37F range, but in the last 20-30 minutes, snow rate has picked up (moderate snow now) and we've now doubled our seasonal snowfall of 1/4", as we have a 1/4" on the ground now lol.  Snow is accumulating on colder surfaces (not pavement yet, but soon, I think) with temps down to 35F.  Woohoo!  Would love to make my pre-storm prediction of 2.5" for my house (or more obviously).  

Holy crap, snowing close to heavily now, as we got 3/4" in the last 30 min (1.5"/hr rate) and have 1" OTG!  As expected snowfall rates are now overcoming melting rates and driveways/sidewalks are covered and the street is partially covered (modest traffic on it).  Down to 34F. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Sidewalk/street slushy, snow definitely getting heavier. Close to 1/2” on colder surfaces I’d say. 

Too bad this isnt happening during the day, I can see the snow is pretty heavy in distant streetlights, but other than that I can't see anything.

I guess it's enough to know it's snowing without actually seeing it outside of looking at streetlights lol

3 minutes ago, David-LI said:

OK so with this snow forecasted for the city what record are we NOT breaking? I was thinking we were about to break the record for the most snowless winter in a while. Guess not.

People diss la ninas but the fact is that la ninas are almost guaranteed to give you at least one 4-6 inch snowstorm, especially late in the season.

I dont believe any of the bottom 5 winters in the city were la ninas, they were mostly either el ninos or neutrals.  La Ninas are always good for at least one nice snowfall, even if it's very late in the season.

Closing in on an inch (on colder surfaces, though the pavement is covered as well) in Staten Island and snow is still coming down nicely. It's a shame that the radar shows a large lull in precipitation in about 30-40 minutes as the next batch will probably be rain or mixed precipitation. 

• Like 2