Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 28th-March 1st long duration Miller B threat

George001

11 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I think W CT is where it’s at in SNE for this one .  Cut the State in 1/2 SW/NE and SW side looks good . I’m not sold the CCB gets going in any capacity for E SNE But maybe some are 

SW CT has found ways to squander good setups for years. I always worry about them. 

This is the time where I actually have to get serious. Will be doing our first map in two and a half months later today when I have time. 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I feel like SW CT has had some decent setups? They had the January band in 2022 and then prior to the at some good setups in 20/21. 

No we have had a lot of good setups. I think the perception changed with the 14/15 season where the eastern areas started raking while we got a good amounts but less (i.e. 7 inches January 2015 while eastern areas had feet plus).

We did great 2000 through 2014.

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I feel like SW CT has had some decent setups? They had the January band in 2022 and then prior to the at some good setups in 20/21. 

You wouldn’t know it based on our immediate shoreline followers lol. 

Just now, EastonSN+ said:

No we have had a lot of good setups. I think the perception changed with the 14/15 season where the eastern areas started raking while we got a good amounts but less (i.e. 7 inches January 2015 while eastern areas had feet plus).

We did great 2000 through 2014.

Agree. It’s really all relative. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

No doubt we have gotten some great events in the 8-16” range and over performed in many.  Just missing the big ones that you guys have gotten out east.  But no lack of the widespread 8-16” events we’ve had one every single year. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

No doubt we have gotten some great events in the 8-16” range and over performed in many.  Just missing the big ones that you guys have gotten out east.  But no lack of the widespread 8-16” events we’ve had one every single year. 

Yeah I clarified what I said a couple posts above. 

1 minute ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

We need a storm to loop SE of LI like 78/1888 lol

So rare to get that done. 

Of course 1996/2006/2010/2013 were bulls eyes. However it seems like the SE of LI loop track is extremely rare.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Yea we’ve had our fair share of 8-16” events past 10 years but missed or busted on every 18-24” biggies.

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Speaking of changes, will have to watch to see if a trend continues for lingering snows in NNE.  GFS really slows down the exit and gets 1.50"< near MA/NH border. 

gfs-deterministic-neng-total_snow_10to1-7693600.thumb.png.8873ffafd46312c43ec8f13347341b2c.png

You know I mentioned this earlier in this thread ... that layout does not look like a typical coastal layout. 

That looks like an overrunning event.   I mused at the time that it may actually be similar in layout to what just occurred, if perhaps along a more southerly axis. That's all still the case.  I don't know if it's just symbolic, or if there is  much actual veracity to that comparison. Interesting

Man, I've frankly grown a bit weary of coverage for this winter ... I'm definitely ready for it go away. Unless there's something that can overcome this -PNA grip on our side of the hemisphere, I'm close to the bubble on tolerating this shit much more.  There may be some hope - the MJO folks were intrigued in there last weekly publication. This current event may gut punch the Nina and serve as a kind trigger/inflection in its demise.  Great!  That helps us out for April :axe:

But you didn't ask me that haha... 

No, but I think this system's parental/mid level mechanics were always real, but back whence this was more impressively the respective guidance ( or blends there in...) there were two scopes of uncertainty that I myself blundered. 

The first was... the S-SE warm wall is a semi-permanent artifact of the La Nina/-PNA.  We've been in a very well coupled hemisphere since the 3 weeks around Xmas when it broke down and yielded that hybrid Nino look.   Point is, it was not modeled to really go away prior to this thing getting injected through as it was back whence.    My blunder is not supplying enough obvious recognition to the fact that moving a S/W up and over the top of a ridge arc supplies a -NVA term across all DPVA deltas along the way.  We see this as "damping" effect in the cinema of the runs..  

Here's what then really "doomed" this guy:  "de" magnification     ... that's the coup de gras, the 2nd blunder.

The models were perhaps over amplified with the main S/W when it was D9 ( no shit!?). That's become a regular/reproducible observation going back several years actually... idiot.  Compounding a perfunctory downward correction in kinematics with -NVA concept is a bit much.   These 'objective speculations' I feel pretty strongly are more valid than just reaching for explanation.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

You know I mentioned this earlier in this thread ... that layout does not look like a typical coastal layout. 

That looks like an overrunning event.   I mused at the time that it may actually be similar in layout to what just occurred, if perhaps along a more southerly axis. 

That's all still the case.  I don't know if it's just symbolic, or if there is  much actual veracity to that comparison.

Man, I've frankly grown a bit weary of coverage for this winter ... I'm definitely ready for it go away. Unless there's something that can overcome this -PNA grip on our side of the hemisphere, I'm close to the bubble on tolerating this shit much more.   

But you didn't ask me that haha... 

No, but I think this system's parental/mid level mechanics were always real, but back whence this was more impressively the respective guidance ( or blends there in...) there were two scopes of uncertainty that I myself blundered. 

The first was... the S-SE warm wall is a semi-permanent artifact of the La Nina/-PNA.  We've been in a very well coupled hemisphere since the 3 weeks around Xmas when it broke down and yielded that hybrid Nino look.   Point is, it was not modeled to really go away prior to this thing getting injected through as it was back whence.    My blunder is not supplying enough obvious recognition to the fact that moving a S/W up and over the top of a ridge arc supplies a -NVA term across all DPVA deltas along the way.  We see this as "damping" effect in the cinema of the runs..  

Here's what then really "doomed" this guy:  "de" magnification     ... that's the coup de gras.

The models were perhaps over amplified with the main S/W when it was D9 ( no shit!?) ... idiot.  Compounding a perfunctory downward correction in kinematics with -NVA concept is a bit much.   These 'objective speculations' I feel pretty strongly are more valid than just reaching for explanation.   

Tip, do you have a lean in which way you would go for forecasting an overall snowfall swath across Sne right now? Gun to head? 

8 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

We need a storm to loop SE of LI like 78/1888 lol

So rare to get that done. 

Of course 1996/2006/2010/2013 were bulls eyes. However it seems like the SE of LI loop track is extremely rare.

Feb 2021 was close with the stalled low S of LI but it lacked a ccb. It was pretty much WAA then occluded snow showers for days. 

• Thanks 1

I still believe the prevailing issue is the shortwave over Manitoba.

There’s theories on what would help bring back a stronger storm—why not just look at the earlier runs which were outputting such solutions?  What was the biggest change? 

The late phasing of the primary, which causes it to hang on later, and diffusing chance of a clean phase with the coastal.

To my mind if you dampen this feature, and the primary fizzles sooner, you can get a dynamic cyclogensis —even with weak UL forcing—to occur given the slow flow over the western Atlantic.

This wouldn’t be great for everyone of course, but it would give much higher totals to SNE and northern Mid Atlantic.

image.thumb.gif.474da9909203df2d507bf05c2d92ace6.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2