Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The GEFS has the same pacific progression its just losing the blocking way faster and flipping the AO back positive.  So the question you have to ask is after such a SSW that did lead to a total wind reversal and subsequent obliteration of the SPV which then coupled with the TPV leading to blocking...do we believe the slower progression there of the EPS or the quick rebound of the GEFS.  

ETA: FWIW the GEPS is more in the EPS camp 

Yeah the Canadian and the CFS fwiw are more like the EPS. Maybe Judah can enlighten us on the likelihood of a quick SPV rebound.

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Don't worry its just 10 days away 

Realistically, the majority of the sub forum has about 3 weeks left to score. So pretty soon we can retire “it’s just 10 days away”. I am as hopeful as everyone here that we score in March. But trying to get a meaningful snow after mid March would take an uncomplicated near perfect pattern. Not our strong suit lol

27 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The GEFS has the same pacific progression its just losing the blocking way faster and flipping the AO back positive.  So the question you have to ask is after such a SSW that did lead to a total wind reversal and subsequent obliteration of the SPV which then coupled with the TPV leading to blocking...do we believe the slower progression there of the EPS or the quick rebound of the GEFS.  

ETA: FWIW the GEPS is more in the EPS camp 

If we wind up with something similar to what happened in the southern hemisphere winter  the PV should not be able to recover quickly. 

11 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

Realistically, the majority of the sub forum has about 3 weeks left to score. So pretty soon we can retire “it’s just 10 days away”. I am as hopeful as everyone here that we score in March. But trying to get a meaningful snow after mid March would take an uncomplicated near perfect pattern. Not our strong suit lol

Realistically, we could have retired "it's just 10 days away" in December. We have NOT had any actual realistic threats so far this season, including this latest, so there's no reason to think we'll get one now.

If we happened to score this March, then great, I will enjoy it for the <12hrs it sticks around. But this schloppy mess, at best, we're trying hanging our hats on right now? No thanks. I'd rather see nothing.

The bad news is we are yet again 10 days away, and climo is going to start factoring in to some degree, and increasingly so as time progresses. The good news is that the actual 10 days away thing seems far more real than any of the fake 10 days away stuff people have been constantly getting excited about this year. And if Lucy does pull the football again, at least we all know it's the last time and we can move on to spring.

2 hours ago, jayyy said:

It’s encouraging the see both the EPS and GEFS annihilate the SER around the 10th. Just hope it holds. Combine that with legit blocking, and that’s how we overcome the PAC.

Relying on snow in mid-March when it's barely snowed more than a cartopper all season is risky business.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

I don't know.. this looks good to me. We have a +PDO setup and strong -NAO still when this rolls east

f192.thumb.gif.e84a06c4dbcd8177746c048ab96a0590.gif

Models lost a lot of the moisture they were showing earlier for during and after the time.. yesterday was a drier day so they seem extrasensitive to current conditions. 

edit: it's still pretty wet. I'm getting frustrated that it's not showing an organized system because of sheering out SER. The upper latitudes with the ridge bridge look good. There's a lot of moisture everywhere still. (It does look like  the window closes early in the LR).

If the SE ridge is running as an independent feature, there is going to be more moisture in the pattern too.  

That SER is showing more and more, little by little each day on these spaghetti plots....I've been specifically following that feature because that has been our nemesis all year. I'm not saying one way or the other what I think just yet....just watching from a distance.