Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

4 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I don't know....you could also look at this as if we've been in a negative phase overall since 2000 give or take. In the grand scheme, 90 years is a pretty small sample size wrt a decadal oscillation, or even smaller sample size as you are suggesting a tri-decadal oscillation. That would only provide roughly 3 measurement periods since 1930. 

time-series-Pacific-Decadal-Oscillation-PDO-01-2022-NWFSC.jpg

On what dataset is this chart based? It says “sum of may-sept” so if I understand this correctly, it only covers the pdo sst index during the summer, but not winter or the full year. And why do they do it that way? Seems pretty misleading to me. 

5 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I don't know....you could also look at this as if we've been in a negative phase overall since 2000 give or take. In the grand scheme, 90 years is a pretty small sample size wrt a decadal oscillation, or even smaller sample size as you are suggesting a tri-decadal oscillation. That would only provide roughly 3 measurement periods since 1930. 

note that is summer pdo I am using^^ not intentionally cherry picking I promise :)

Here this is better I think. Again, I'm not sure we can assume based on this that we are going to be stuck in a negative pdo rut for the next 30 years. 1845248596_Screenshot_20230226_204505_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.3199774b7cf9e086e52ee05e4730272c.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

You’re right. There is some debate here.  But why does that chart use only May to Sep?  The pdo during winter has way more impact on what we care about lol.

My interpretation of the data was there seems to be more variability during a +pdo than a -pdo.  This was true during the last +pdo also but the base state was more positive then so the negatives were more neutral. But look at the lack of variance from the late 40s to the mid 70s.   But it’s possible I’m wrong. I hope I am. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Terpeast said:

On what dataset is this chart based? It says “sum of may-sept” so if I understand this correctly, it only covers the pdo sst index during the summer, but not winter or the full year. And why do they do it that way? Seems pretty misleading to me. 

I noted that....it is regards to summer fisheries which is something I chart so I had that bookmarked. Thanks for noting. I posted a better graph following that post.

But that meso band that gets us isn’t a feature we can’t rely on at this range. The NW trend if the storm actually continued. Sorry but Imo it was a worse run in every way except the clown snow map. 
BB7BD563-0149-4870-BAA7-FF20BEC06898.thumb.gif.7d6dd0790c0369d68938908158520111.gif

Totally agree with you. I understand what’s going on. I saw the eps. But like I said, given the trend to a cutter our only chance at seeing any wintry precipitation in this set up would be something on the front end imo.

much more confluence. it's the most important thing in this setup, and models are going to have fits with it, as per usual. might be one of the hardest things to forecast at range due to the proximity of the TPV

this looks great with the potent 500mb low running into strong confluence. would result in heavy precip

icon_z500_vort_us_fh114_trend.thumb.gif.cad56174367e8303a87b852e4c484b86.gif

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1