Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023 Atlantic Hurricane season

Stormchaserchuck1

2 hours ago, Kmlwx said:

A more intense storm is more likely to be pulled poleward and thus out to sea versus a weaker one. This is why some storms that have had significant trouble organizing have ended up unexpectedly going into the Caribbean instead of on an E coast threatening trajectory or ots. 

Yes, that’s definitely true, but what I think is different here is strong consensus on the first big Atlantic ridge over the basin keeping this west. 

IMG_6690.thumb.png.42120eef30ea2e85120106c9de3a665d.png

That’s enough to get it to the islands. All bets are off after.

57 minutes ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

GFS is into the Northern Lesser Antilles.  I'm not sure what new data comes in that changes models that much in 6 hours.  Over a week out, into the Caribbean vs missing the islands to the N is probably noise. It still looks like it will try to miss ECUSA, but its early.

It’s way too far out, but just having the above ridge on the ensembles is problematic imo because the guidance has been underselling the ridges we’ve seen thus far. I’d still think that troughing over the E Coast could be around for a late kick, but you never know. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, GaWx said:

-Usually the best bet for an E MDR system since 75%+ don't hit the US although nowhere near a safe bet at least yet imo

-12Z UKMET: still has TCG but unlike the prior run having TCG on Sunday, this waits til Wednesday (9/6). With the delay, it is notably weaker but is still in a potentially dangerous position at 168 (9/8) 300 miles E of the Leewards moving WNW at 15 mph:

NEW TROPICAL CYCLONE FORECAST TO DEVELOP AFTER 120 HOURS
              FORECAST POSITION AT T+120 : 14.2N  44.1W

LEAD                 CENTRAL     MAXIMUM WIND
      VERIFYING TIME    TIME   POSITION   PRESSURE (MB)  SPEED (KNOTS)
      --------------    ----   --------   -------------  -------------
    1200UTC 06.09.2023  120  14.2N  44.1W     1010            27
    0000UTC 07.09.2023  132  14.1N  46.7W     1009            29
    1200UTC 07.09.2023  144  14.9N  49.0W     1007            37
    0000UTC 08.09.2023  156  15.4N  51.8W     1007            31
    1200UTC 08.09.2023  168  16.1N  54.9W     1007            34

Just going to be an ace producer that’s it

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

The UKMET texts used to just have weak, moderate, strong and intense, not sure why they include wind and pressure when they are always low.

The ensembles suggest the pattern won't change.  I'd think just the changing seasons would make it change.  But apparently not.

eps_z500_vort_us_61 (1).png

I use the conservative UKMET much more for position than for strength. It was the best by a good margin for Ian and one of the best for Irma and Idalia once within a few days of landfall.
 For strength, it is the trend rather than the actuals that are usually more informative.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Idalia barely made a scratch unfortunately but nice to see some churning up out there. It will be fun to see how quickly that recovers coming up here. I will say I do not like the prospects of troughing being centered across the upper midwest/lakes region. Too far west to keep us from potential issues and with ridging into eastern Canada/ NW Atlantic definitely need to watch this system.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Gert is currently being absorbed into Idalia in a perfect example of the Fujiwara effect. Cool to watch on satellite 

J9o7lLu.gif

Yes; although this image is made a lot smaller to be uploadable and downloadable quickly enough, the unique patterns are still visible!!

Based on modeling, it doesn't look like the Atlantic MDR is done, staying busy for at least a few more weeks. That being said, a +ENSO is still strengthening. Sub-tropical jet placement and shear across the Caribbean and MDR that was experienced in August has since subsided, which, to no coincidence, we have a developing major hurricane coming. But El Niño is still there, and perhaps it will have more effects to close out September into October. At any rate, despite a strong El Niño, I was wrong on ASO below normal activity. Very wrong.

• Like 4

Wow, go back 3 weeks and I’d just like to admit how wrong I was about this season. The Caribbean was sheared, TUTTs were running rampant across the Atlantic, the east coast trough was more dominant than the monsoon trough in western Caribbean, and SAL was killing all African waves shortly after they entered the Atlantic. With ENSO and the promise of El Niño shear becoming an increasing part of the picture, I openly questioned CSUs bullish prediction. How wrong I was. We have entered a hyperactive period in an El Niño year. If you told me the last 10 days of august would feature 6 named storms, 2 majors, and we’d carry that into September I’d laughed at you. But here we are. Lee is going to be a high end hurricane and Margot looks like another storm with major hurricane potential. Just wow for an El Niño year. I admit defeat, I was so very wrong 

• Like 4

Kinda interesting that it seems odds are quite good that Nova Scotia will get some hurricane-like impacts from Lee. In the last 4 years, Lee will be the 4th (post) tropical cyclone to make landfall on Nova Scotia, along with Dorian, Teddy, and Fiona. Also interesting is that all four storms peaked at cat 4 or 5.

• Like 5