• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 21-23 Major Winter Storm

Hoosier

32/30 with moderate freezing rain at Waukegan.  Mentioned it yesterday but that has been one of my prime areas of interest in the LOT cwa.  You know areas farther inland in far northern IL have a better shot to hold at or below freezing throughout, but can those areas closer to the lake hold on to freezing temps as the afternoon wears on and how much icing will there be?

Here are the observations from 6 hr ago. At Toledo we had ice build up a bit on maybe grass or elevated surfaces, but not roads I don't think. It was 32-34 degrees. It is still 34 but I don't think there's much more chance of ice accumulation. This map shows how close it was to being a thunder ice storm, which is exactly what you don't want.

so close to being a thunder ice storm.jpg

6 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

32/30 with moderate freezing rain at Waukegan.  Mentioned it yesterday but that has been one of my prime areas of interest in the LOT cwa.  You know areas farther inland in far northern IL have a better shot to hold at or below freezing throughout, but can those areas closer to the lake hold on to freezing temps as the afternoon wears on and how much icing will there be?

32/30 here in Buffalo Grove with light freezing rain trees are icing up quickly

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chinook said:

Here are the observations from 6 hr ago. At Toledo we had ice build up a bit on maybe grass or elevated surfaces, but not roads I don't think. It was 32-34 degrees. It is still 34 but I don't think there's much more chance of ice accumulation. This map shows how close it was to being a thunder ice storm, which is exactly what you don't want.

so close to being a thunder ice storm.jpg

I would love +TSFZRA

20 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Ice is readily accreting. This could be an issue if we can’t get off the 31 degree hump

Same here. Rain is coming down moderately here. Ground is too warm for any ice but elevated surfaces and wires are a definite problem. HRRR says we should bump above freezing soon but seeing more persistent ZR in other short term models. HRRR for SE MI is just ugly - Hilldale, Jackson, Washtenaw counties looking at 8+ more hours of moderate to heavy ZR.

Tornado Watch up for the southern half of Illinois and Eastern Missouri. 

WW0041 Radar

SUMMARY...A broken line of storms is expected to intensify and race
   northeastward and pose a damaging wind and tornado risk,
   particularly in vicinity of a warm front from near/north of the St
   Louis area into south-central Illinois.
  • Like 3