Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 21-23 Major Winter Storm

Hoosier

19 minutes ago, Harry Perry said:

Standing outside at the moment just listening to the crackling and crashing of tree branches in the distance. Power flashes look like lightning every few minutes. Several without power, half of my block is out but somehow managed at least for the time being to keep power at my place. Have approximately .50” of ice on everything. Tomorrow morning will make for some awesome pictures. Still raining here at 31°. Can’t imagine much more than maybe another .05” if that before this wraps up. 

Jackson and Hillsdale got absolutely clobbered. Interested to hear what they ended up with total.

Glad it's not worse for you. When I saw GRR's graphic saying up to 3/4" ice and "as bad as 2013" I figured someone in that zone would be in trouble. A lot of trees in your area. So far, I have branches sagging, but haven't heard any breaking. I may just barely escape damage by the slimmest of margins.

2 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

I keep imagining if we had legit cold air and this was a snowstorm. 

I so wanted to stay up there. Missed it by mere hours. APX getting raked

image.png.55957841fef8fb64804b4f2930c2e436.png

I never realized they had a webcam. I would much rather be up there but the ice storm is pretty cool. After being up North a few days ago though I can't tell you how desperately they need that snow brown ground in st ignace/mackinaw.

• Like 1

Quite an Ice Storm in southeast MI. Power flickering, more than half of Wyandotte is without power but I have it so far. Tree branches falling and transformers blowing. I can't think of anything more love/hate for a weather enthusiast than an ice storm. The inconvenience is huge but the beauty is incredible. 

The last pic is a transformer blowing in the distance. I videoed and screenshot it. You can see blue/green frequently lighting up the night sky.

FB_IMG_1677125890256.jpg

FB_IMG_1677125885867.jpg

FB_IMG_1677125883518.jpg

FB_IMG_1677125872083.jpg

• Like 11

Finished with .25” of ice today, trees and power lines down everywhere. Significantly more impactful than I assumed it would be 
This event had worse impacts than February 2019. The winds and wet bulbing effects clearly won out over the higher rain rates, which was the challenge to discern. That's my biggest takeaway, to expect warning impacts when the winds are going to be stronger, because of the role in evaporative cooling and accretion efficiency, plus bringing limbs down. Another key factor was that dew points were 2-4 degrees lower than 2m temps despite the high rain rates, leaving room for wet bulbing, and amplified by the winds.

Based off the reports, radial ice accums likely ended up in the 0.2 to 0.3 inch range closer to the I-88 corridor and then 0.3 to 0.4 and perhaps locally up to 0.5" in the northern tier (and far northern portion of counties just south). We won't get a final ice accum from UGN because the sensor iced over, so RFD ice accum will have to suffice as highest flat ice report.

In hindsight, wish I put warnings out for the northern tier on Tuesday, and maybe then consideration on the midnight shift would have been to expand them south.

Regarding the winds on Thursday, the state line counties are unfortunately a wild card as to whether temps rise enough and enough ice melts before the onset of the strong winds. It would help if dense fog develops overnight. Hope power gets restored sooner than later for board members who lost power.

• Like 7

My gauge only contained 0.27" of precip.  With a marginal temp, it just wasn't enough to cause major issues.

I noticed the wind factor earlier today.  The driveway, where the wind was blocked by the house, was mostly ok with just patchy slick spots.  However, when I walked to the entrance to the patio behind the house, where the wind was free to blow through, the pavement suddenly turned to solid ice.

14 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

My gauge only contained 0.27" of precip.  With a marginal temp, it just wasn't enough to cause major issues.

I noticed the wind factor earlier today.  The driveway, where the wind was blocked by the house, was mostly ok with just patchy slick spots.  However, when I walked to the entrance to the patio behind the house, where the wind was free to blow through, the pavement suddenly turned to solid ice.

Yeah could explain while the icing here was up higher where the wind was probably a bit more frisky.  If dews would have been up closer to the temp we probably wouldn't have had any glazing at all given the marginal temps.  Very interesting event to be sure.

21 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

Cary has a lot of power outages. We still have power for now. Race on to see what will melt before higher winds hit

That’s what I’m wondering too. Everything is weighted down from the ice. 400k just in our power company’s service area feel like that will go to 500 of winds crank

The models really had no idea on the evolution of this system. I wonder if it came down to multiple shortwaves rotating through instead of one solid deformation band of snow, which caused the 50% over modeling of precipitation. It’s ripping now but I’m guessing the final storm total will be between 10-12” at the airport if they can get an accurate measurement in this wind. 

• Like 1

Ended up with the biggest sleet storm I have ever experienced with a good inch and a half of sleet.  Being mix with freezing rain it is a solid mass on the ground.  Trees have some good ice them but definitely not as bad as it could have been.  Looks like we should warm up above freezing before the stronger winds kick in but still more power outages is a concern.   

8 minutes ago, mnchaserguy said:

Unless I’m measuring completely wrong, I’m at 10” for the entire event. If it actually snows all the way until noon I might hit a foot. No matter what, this will not end up even being a top 20 event for me, let alone top 5 like it looked like a few days ago.

I’m still waiting to see the 6am obs from the airport, but I’m measuring 10-11” imby as well. At least it made shoveling easier. 

• Like 1