Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 21-23 Major Winter Storm

Hoosier

5 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

I would hardly call the winter one long dreary autumn in SMI, even tho you got locally screwed in your first winter in SE MI and last winter in SW MI. Hell in 2021 I had 15" depth and 2+ foot drifts in my yard in Feb.

For Detroit officially, the last 3 winters finished very close to climo snow-wise.
2021-22: 47.1" (35.6") ...50 days w/ 1"+ snowcover 
2020-21: 44.9" (36.2") ...48 days " " 
2019-20: 43.7"...41 days " "

For comparison, current 30-year normals are 45.0" snow, 47 days 1"+ snowcover and longterm avg is 41" snow, 50 days.

So while I understand your backyard locally had been screwed to an extent, the last 3 winters in the Detroit area were climo winters which circles back to what Harry alluded to. After so many years being spoiled the 1st 2 decades of this century, average is not acceptable for a snow weenie. Obviously this winter sucks. But with a while to go, it's going to end up in the sucky and forgettable category, not futility

If DTW and Wyandotte had my numbers (in red) you wouldn't be quite so chipper. And this year isn't going any where, sorry. Doubtful I hit 20"

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Harry said:

We are screwed. 

Unless DTX's current forecast is a bust (in an icy way), it looks like cozy Wayne will allow me to escape the dreaded power outages that look immenent beginning just to my west (Washtenaw) and back your way along 94.

Meanwhile, expecting 2-3" here by morning, then snow continues all day. 

The middle to high end range of their forecast ice amounts would be warning criteria.  Will be interesting to see the reasoning in the afd.
I definitely struggled decision wise, considering DVN had hoisted the ISW including Stephenson County. Competing factors lowered confidence in how much ice would actually accumulate and cause impacts. With how mild it's been, if the more robust warm nose verifies farther north, if temps are marginal the whole time, etc.

I'm concerned given the colder and icier trend on the guidance today, but also didn't have 80% confidence in occurrence of widespread 0.25" accums. Official forecast has a couple spots from northwestern Lake across Northern half of Winnebago with ~0.3". Ice Storm Warnings are rare around here, so I didn't want to jump into a warning with lower confidence due to a still plausible scenario where impacts are minimal. Feel confident that the midnight shift will upgrade if warranted.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, SolidIcewx said:

00z Hrrr now has ice amounts flirting with warning territory for Wayne county

9D4D0D62-668F-4900-B306-B7224A0FEFCE.png

Uggh. All the latest maps are concerning to say the least. I am far NW Wayne, so if there is one spot of the county that could lean warning, that would be the place. Last week's storm trended just far enough south to get us a nice tree glazing and some icy car tops. This following the same trend.

• Sad 1

59 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Unless DTX's current forecast is a bust (in an icy way), it looks like cozy Wayne will allow me to escape the dreaded power outages that look immenent beginning just to my west (Washtenaw) and back your way along 94.

Meanwhile, expecting 2-3" here by morning, then snow continues all day. 

Where is "here?"