Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late February will be rocking. February Long range Discussion thread

Ji

43 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Cmc says don't give up completely for Saturday.  Gets some light stuff into the Area on Saturday afternoon. 

Also has a mixed bag for the 28th.

We can hope that the GFS is out to lunch.  If the Euro comes in with one or both storms still there then I'd consider it a win

2 hours ago, brooklynwx99 said:

if this goes up in smoke I'm going to put my degree in a paper shredder. retrograding blocks like this that come from strong Scandinavian highs usually work out

add in the fact that it's moving up in time and becoming stronger, as well as being associated with the SPV getting ripped apart, and I think the block is likely going to happen. I wouldn't worry about run to run minutiae when there is a west-based blocking signal this strong 

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-z500_anom-1676764800-1677520800-1678060800-20-2.thumb.gif.b5a2ec16ab9efdd4f7a2775b0b461fc6.gif

Someone will pop on and say that is t a true block just a strong ridge which does us no good.

20 minutes ago, CAPE said:

There is a signal for something on the GEFS around the 28th but a lot of spread among the members wrt track/timing/intensity/p-type. Still pretty far out there.

EPS had a stronger signal at 0z for a wave to track just to the south of us. We just can know yet.

you mean we just cant know yet....yet we all know lol

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Someone will pop on and say that is t a true block just a strong ridge which does us no good.

By definition an atmospheric block involves both a high and low that are nearly stationary, thus forcing the flow to divert poleward/equatorward. I suppose the strictest definition would require a closed contour at h5 for both the High and the Low. For practical purposes, what we are seeing advertised currently on the means is a block. It could still morph into something else at this range.

• mappy unpinned this topic