• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Mid/Long Range Disco 3: The great recovery or shut the blinds?

psuhoffman

12 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Maybe we should save the freakout for if it actually happens? Lol  I mean I know it's not impossible, the last 7 years, etc but...we ain't there yet, man. I wouldn't even let my brain go there unless we get closer and it starts getting support.

Question: Is it overly simplistic to say a SE ridge is caused by a warm Atlantic? Not sure I understand exactly what influences it.

The fact it’s even an option is worth noting.  That’s all. 

2 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I get ya...yeah that option what just be dumbdy-dumb fail, smh So what causes an SE ridge, anyway? Warm water?

Chicken vs egg. Cutters pump warm air ahead of it, warms the waters, creates a ridge, which forces storms to cut… positivr feedback loop. 

It would take a lot to break it. 

56 minutes ago, Ji said:

we had 2013-2014/2014-2015/2015-2016. We have had decent winters since. PSU just came off a 50 inch winter. Winter is in a bit of a slump but 2013-14 is pretty recent and wouldnt of happened if the Global Warming thing was off the charts. We are just in a general down cycle...we will rebound

Something's rebounding alright.  

gfs-deterministic-ma-t2m_f_anom-4734400.png

• Haha 3
  • Weenie 4

53 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

GEFS is loaded. completely displaces the TPV with a legit -NAO signal to boot

a -EPO/-AO/-NAO pattern like this would be quite fun

2F829F50-E909-49EE-9D7A-99F4C9E253CB.thumb.png.c934a17e2b30ccc40120dfcae3f421d5.png

All 3 ensemble suites show the broader longitudinal trough underneath a growing -NAO late in their runs.  Coupled with a -EPO/-AO, that’s a very nice look as you said. But the GEFS especially keeps that ridge farther off the west coast, which would generate more cutters before that point. And if the -NAO didn’t develop, the SE ridge would pop quickly. GEPS and EPS keep more ridging along the west coast which is far better for us.

• Like 6

Just now, WxUSAF said:

All 3 ensemble suites show the broader longitudinal trough underneath a growing -NAO late in their runs.  Coupled with a -EPO/-AO, that’s a very nice look as you said. But the GEFS especially keeps that ridge farther off the west coast, which would generate more cutters before that point. And if the -NAO didn’t develop, the SE ridge would pop quickly. GEPS and EPS keep more ridging along the west coast which is far better for us.

yeah, the EPS is highly favorable 

C419FA19-4BA8-4AF1-AAE5-B0F23B992103.thumb.png.6c97292b8ab67cc843e9ea5e5a2f8f99.png

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, DarkSharkWX said:

Isn't there some concerns with WAR and pna ridge being too far west?

Yes. Placement of that ridge is very important. Definitely risks of cold dry/warm wet if the ridge axis is farther west. But if that ridge stays along the coast and we keep the very active pattern that’s ahead, odds are good we’d get some hits.

• Like 3