Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,542
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    happyweather
    Newest Member
    happyweather
    Joined

January 2023 Banter


George BM
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

Mrs J highlighted this on twitter...

 

Speaking of that...and I asked this once before but did not screenshot the response...Why is it we don't get ice storms like this up here that often?

And I'm wondering...say our climo changes so much in the future that we become the south...wonder if that means we get more ice storms? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Speaking of that...and I asked this once before but did not screenshot the response...Why is it we don't get ice storms like this up here that often?

And I'm wondering...say our climo changes so much in the future that we become the south...wonder if that means we get more ice storms? 

The simple answer is that the Apps both help us and hurt us for ice storms.  We tend to get smaller events due to cold-air damming, but unless there is a really significant cold air outbreak (see 1994), we don't get that clash of straight-from-Canada cold and return moisture from the Gulf.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Been attempting to learn some really, (really) simple GIS. Posting this here because the map isn't actually something I believe in -- it was a test -- but maybe later this evening I'd actually try something... or maybe there will be a storm with greater upside than 1" one day.

SnowMap131.png

LOVE this! Great job! QGIS?

if you ever need help, reach out to me or @Baltimorewx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:


Yep… QGIS and a couple YouTube tutorials. Seems like a good skill to have on the side, even if it’s hardly relevant to my current work. Maps are cool!

Nice, looks great! What projection are you using? The states looks stretched to me, but could just be the resolution in my iPad. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice, looks great! What projection are you using? The states looks stretched to me, but could just be the resolution in my iPad. 

I think I probably stretched it myself on accident tbh - it’s just a U.S. counties shapefile I pulled off the YouTube tutorial I found. Manually selected the ones I wanted to but than adjusted the map to fit the canvas(? definitely not the right word) when I was adding the legend and title.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:


I think I probably stretched it myself on accident tbh - it’s just a U.S. counties shapefile I pulled off the YouTube tutorial I found. Manually selected the ones I wanted to but than adjusted the map to fit the canvas(? definitely not the right word) when I was adding the legend and title.

Ahhh that could be it. Layout was the word you were looking for, I believe? I don’t use QGIS at all, but I assume you have a map frame then a layout space of some sort where your map is located within? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, mappy said:

Ahhh that could be it. Layout was the word you were looking for, I believe? I don’t use QGIS at all, but I assume you have a map frame then a layout space of some sort where your map is located within? 

Yeah, exactly right. Next time I'll try and avoid stretching it all out. Agree it looks a bit off as is.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I heard you're going to get an inch of snow tonight! Definitely get out and jebwalk in it, and get the shovels out and dig the snow off the sidewalks and pile it up on the north sides of sunlight-blocking objects! Get strategic about this, pile up whatever snow you get! #SaveTheSnowpack

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • mappy unpinned this topic
8 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:


I think I probably stretched it myself on accident tbh - it’s just a U.S. counties shapefile I pulled off the YouTube tutorial I found. Manually selected the ones I wanted to but than adjusted the map to fit the canvas(? definitely not the right word) when I was adding the legend and title.

For future reference, a lot of national and state-based shapefiles for different types of geography can be found here https://www.census.gov/cgi-bin/geo/shapefiles/index.php

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

WE FINALLY got our power back on after 5-6 days! Its 73 outside now. I dont like winter while I am in Texas. I am now a TEXAS WARMINISTA. However, I want Virginia to get buried in snow, and crave 50 feet of snow on Tahoe if I am there to experience it. BUT NOT IN BUDA. NO FRACKIN' WAY. Ice is horrible! I FROZE in that wretched COLD ICE HOUSE for days!

I'm GLAD its 73/54! I wish it was 99/84!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...