• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023 Mid-Atlantic Severe Wx Thread (General Discussion)

Kmlwx

The latest flash flood warning issued for SE FfxCo is personally interesting...they typically mention the areas/neighborhoods AROUND where I live (e.g., Franconia, Lincolnia, Fort Belvoir, Mount Vernon) but this time they actually included our neighborhood, Hayfield. And we are indeed having a "round two" that is rivaling yesterday afternoon...maybe not horizontal rain, but definitely diagonal, and I can fully believe the 1-3" that NWS says is possible within the next hour.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

The latest flash flood warning issued for SE FfxCo is personally interesting...they typically mention the areas/neighborhoods AROUND where I live (e.g., Franconia, Lincolnia, Fort Belvoir, Mount Vernon) but this time they actually included our neighborhood, Hayfield. And we are indeed having a "round two" that is rivaling yesterday afternoon...maybe not horizontal rain, but definitely diagonal, and I can fully believe the 1-3" that NWS says is possible within the next hour.

I'm just on the other side of 495 right on the edge. Yesterday was the most difficult drive of my life!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

I can hear your cell grumbling from the western side of the Beltway.

0.11" today, so a miss, but we have done plenty well over the last two months.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

I'm just on the other side of 495 right on the edge. Yesterday was the most difficult drive of my life!

Yeah, yesterday was one of the worst I've seen in the 30 or so years I've lived here...can't imagine driving in that.

1 hour ago, MN Transplant said:

I can hear your cell grumbling from the western side of the Beltway.

0.11" today, so a miss, but we have done plenty well over the last two months.

Yeah, there was definitely some grumbling and rumbling but nothing like yesterday's laser show...dear LORD. The rain, @Eskimo Joe's point below, was impressive today....not for the direction it was falling or blowing but the sheer amount. We got a river through the backyard (has since subsided) and that rarely happens for us.

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

The flood watch is absolutely justified. PWATs are in the 95th percentile regionwide, with minimal steering flow aloft.

6 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

The flood watch is absolutely justified. PWATs are in the 95th percentile regionwide, with minimal steering flow aloft.

The flood watch was absolutely justified, but due to the PWATS and existing wet ground.    The storm motions off of the 12Z IAD raob were faster than 30 mph.

The severe box was less justified.   It verified well due to a bunch of reports at the far southern end, but most of the box was lacking in reports.

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
1105 PM EDT Thu Aug 17 2023

The National Weather Service in Sterling Virginia has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...
  West central Charles County in southern Maryland...
  Southeastern Stafford County in northern Virginia...
  Central King George County in central Virginia...
  East central Spotsylvania County in central Virginia...

* Until 1130 PM EDT.

* At 1105 PM EDT, a severe thunderstorm was located near Fairview
  Beach, moving northeast at 30 mph.

HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts and quarter size hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Damaging winds will cause some trees and large branches
           to fall. This could injure those outdoors, as well as
           damage homes and vehicles. Roadways may become blocked by
           downed trees. Localized power outages are possible.
           Unsecured light objects may become projectiles.

* Locations impacted include...
  King George, Dahlgren, Fairview Beach, Potomac Creek, Nanjemoy
  Creek, Popes Creek, Aquia Creek, Port Tobacco River, Passapatanzy,
  Stones Corner, Weedonville, Ironsides, Bel Alton, Pisgah, White
  Oak, Sealston, Faulkner, Berthaville, Dogue, and Marbury.

1 hour ago, yoda said:

There is a MRGL risk on Friday from SPC 

That's for the afternoon cells.   The morning MCS would be "regular" thunderstorms, but I hope it plays out.   It's going to be an MCS party for the next 36 hours in the Mid-Atlantic - just a question of who gets invited.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 09-10 analogy said:

Back from dropping my daughter off at uni, which is always kind of depressing. Some good storms to track and experience would help immensely with that. 

Dropped #2 off last night.  Luckily he is at Towson University, but still miss him. :-(

#3 (my baby)is going to Drexel and they have classes on a quarter term, so I get 3 more weeks of her before she has to go.  Going to be very quiet here this year. 

• Like 1