• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023 Mid-Atlantic Severe Wx Thread (General Discussion)

Kmlwx

45 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Agreed, he says having filmed the storm on his (covered!) balcony. Video makes it look like the DuPont folks were huddling right outside the metro station canopy. one wonders why they didn’t just go down the escalator.

I was really being a smartass, but to your point...yeah, why DON'T folks take cover underground at Metro? When I was a single dude living in the District in the early 90s, I got caught in numerous, heinous thunderstorms in the summertime, often while I was commuting the middling 1-3 stops on Metro....and I would be all, "Oh, HELL NO, I ain't going above ground yet!!!"  :D 

17 minutes ago, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

Many roads blocked in Takoma park. 

You personally posted a couple dramatic vids over the past 1.5 hours, so that doesn't surprise me. My wife just headed out of our neighborhood to travel the one mile up to the Alexandria (SE FFxCo) Wegmans, and she said that the roads were a mess with downed leaves, branches, and just general trash. This was admittedly a pretty bad storm for our part of FfxCo. 

3 minutes ago, 09-10 analogy said:

My wife and daughter down the shore now near there and just texted me a vid with a nasty looking storm looming

I'll say "consolation prize" for missing two days of storms back home...but beach storms are awesome usually.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

I'll say "consolation prize" for missing two days of storms back home...but beach storms are awesome usually.

Think the visibility at the beach is better for lightning displays, but wind, because there’s so much “stuff” (e.g., branches) around, may be better in more urban areas?

I guess I’m weird but seeing that cardboard box blown end over end down Conn Ave was cool as hell.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, gymengineer said:

So it looks like peak outage for the more immediate DMV was 150,000+ customers, and 250,000+ customers for the states of VA and MD combined. 

That's really impressive in the post tree massacre (the companies sheering off a ton of trees near power lines) era. 

1 hour ago, 09-10 analogy said:

Think the visibility at the beach is better for lightning displays, but wind, because there’s so much “stuff” (e.g., branches) around, may be better in more urban areas?

I guess I’m weird but seeing that cardboard box blown end over end down Conn Ave was cool as hell.

Would have been really cool to see this lightning storm from Ocean City. 

When the storms first hit yesterday, 70-100mph winds were hitting the top of my 100+ year trees at the top. I could hear some big branches crack as the trees were bending. There wasn't nearly as much wind 20-30' feet from the ground and down. 

22 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

That's really impressive in the post tree massacre (the companies sheering off a ton of trees near power lines) era. 

Yeah, I think for the more immediate DMV region, this was a top-3 most power-disruptive event since the 2012 Derecho. (Sandy later that year was somewhat muted in outages).

The big wind event in March 2018 was more than today, but I don’t think there are two other greater outage events since 2012. 

Well I did about an 8-mile hike from my house down to where the damage was. I saw about 10 or 11 huge trees down -- curiously, none of them onto houses, but a couple of cars were crushed. (Note to self: do not be in a car with trees around and 70-80 mph winds.) It was worse in Woodley Park than Cleveland Park; I was going to go over to Glover Park and maybe toward Palisades, but even though it's a nice day, it's still a hot July sun and I'd had about enough, so came home. The damage was, where I walked about, hit and miss; I saw one house which looked like it had lost shingles off the roof. Lots of people gawking and doing what I was doing. Talked to a police  officer in front of the Zoo (which was, unsurprisingly, closed); fortunately, no animals were hurt, but there were tons of trees down, he said. He also said there were a lot of trees down on the Mall; I didn't think the swath of damage was that far south. 

• Like 1

Next chance at some stronger storms - 

The upper trough will continue east across the Midwest and into the
   Northeast Days 6-7/Sun-Mon. Some severe potential may continue over
   parts of the Mid-MS/OH Valley vicinity on Day 6/Sun and into the
   Mid-Atlantic/Northeast on Day 7/Mon. Severe potential will be
   influenced by previous days' convection and the timing of the upper
   trough and surface front. Currently, forecast guidance handles the
   evolution of these features quite differently beyond Day 5/Sat, and
   too much uncertainty exists to delineate 15 percent severe
   probabilities. However, probabilities may be needed somewhere across
   the Midwest to the middle/upper portions of the Atlantic coast in