• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023 Mid-Atlantic Severe Wx Thread (General Discussion)

Kmlwx

I need these cells to the southwest of me to keep growing north to get into northern Baltimore county. Let’s do this ! Love fridays. Sitting on outside porch. Single rolling distant thunder . Dog on alert next to me chillin and ready to howl. Scotch in hand and RadarScope on my phone.

O wait. That was a flash. 20 second delay long distant rolling thunder. To the north east. Maybe it was that York cell. That was cool and unexpected.

Confirmed SVR at KIAD - 59mph wind gust.  Also 66mph per mesonet near Reston

NWUS51 KLWX 142145
LSRLWX

Preliminary Local Storm Report
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
545 PM EDT Fri Jul 14 2023

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0535 PM     Tstm Wnd Gst     Dulles Intl Airport     38.94N  77.45W
07/14/2023  M59 mph          Fairfax            VA   ASOS

&&

Event Number LWX2301361

$$

ADS
  • Like 3

NWUS51 KLWX 142152
LSRLWX

Preliminary Local Storm Report
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
552 PM EDT Fri Jul 14 2023

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0534 PM     Tstm Wnd Gst     Reston                  38.95N  77.34W
07/14/2023  M66 mph          Fairfax            VA   Mesonet

&&

Event Number LWX2301363

$$

ADS
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Sorry for crap vid (snagged off my computer monitor), but...bow echo?    https://photos.app.goo.gl/XbBUyYFnVAK7yqG28

EDIT: New STW just came through for my neighborhood for this storm. Driving rain just started, most intense lightning/thunder we've had in weeks, and it's like post-dusk dark now.

Yeah, sky is bluish, don’t like that.  I see 1” hail on radar report just to our NW

• Like 1

That was a decent storm in my neighborhood during the 5pm hour. Had off and on hail for a good 20 minutes w/ gusty winds and torrential rain. The hail looked to be around quarter to half-dollar sized (1"-1.25" in diameter). Some leaves stripped off of trees courtesy of the hail.

Herndon, VA.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Looks like the lead cell in Montgomery gusted out and caused a nice circular outflow boundary. The secondary activity that was over NOVA picked right up on that and just congealed into a nice multi-cell line. Mesoscale meteorology is so cool.

Despite no severe criteria being met in MBY - that was a lot of fun to track and watch the evolution. I would call  yesterday a win. Lots of places got some much needed drinks for the grass and there was some nice thunder and lightning even if the storms were sub-severe for many. Good, widespread storm day. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Despite no severe criteria being met in MBY - that was a lot of fun to track and watch the evolution. I would call  yesterday a win. Lots of places got some much needed drinks for the grass and there was some nice thunder and lightning even if the storms were sub-severe for many. Good, widespread storm day. 

Yeah, even though I didn’t get much rain imby, I saw a lot of very gusty winds. Likely over 50 mph. My toddler was spooked. 

Rain gage batteries crapped out Friday but received estimated 0.15" in Friday's local t-shower/storm. The cell's "reds" got to within a mile of my area but instead just moved from the west ... NE-ward, but passing by and missing to just the NW of me. But overall still better than nothing. Turned out to be a good shrubs and lawn watering.