Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023

wdrag

17 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Early on some model runs teased us with this thursday's storm, but of course it's ending up warm. Same for the sunday into monday storm, but now all models give us rain. I'm guessing it's the same thing for the day 9 storm now, and it'll trend warmer as it gets closer like all other storms this winter. But of course we'll keep an eye on it just in case. You never know for sure with weather. 

The good news is that it appears likely that we're finally gonna have a cold pattern for a little while (maybe a week) late in the month after that potential day 9 storm. Hopefully finally having some extended cold will give us a better chance of scoring. It might not work out, but at least it gives me a little more hope right now. 

The Sunday-Monday storm is still pretty different than what we've been seeing (cutters and rain to Montreal) at least as of now the NW parts of the subforum are still in play with that one.  

17 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

It's been warm all along. This is the first time a model is giving us snow for the late week storm. 

I'm not sure what you mean. The storm for late this week or late next week? I was just making the point that a week ago there were some model runs that teased us with some colder solutions for this week's late week storm (the 19th). I remember back then saying I thought it would trend warmer, and it has. Everything shows rain for this thursday. I think you misunderstood my post. So now I'm saying I think the late next week storm (day 9 storm) will trend warmer as well, since the pattern hasn't changed much yet by that point. 

8 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

I'm not sure what you mean. The storm for late this week or late next week? I was just making the point that a week ago there were some model runs that teased us with some colder solutions for this week's late week storm (the 19th). I remember back then saying I thought it would trend warmer, and it has. Everything shows rain for this thursday. I think you misunderstood my post. So now I'm saying I think the late next week storm (day 9 storm) will trend warmer as well, since the pattern hasn't changed much yet by that point. 

No I'm saying the 26th storm has looked warm all along on the gfs so it hasn't really teased us. This euro run is the first showing a snowy outcome I believe 

The 26th is now the day to watch IMO. CMC shows rain changing over to snow as the low exits while the ECMWF shows a bomb in the benchmark. My concern is the lack of a good 50/50 low but HP around the storm (antecedent and incoming) is cold enough. The question being will the next runs trend towards a coastal hugger or track the low over interior southeast NY State. 
WX/PT
ec-fast_z500_mslp_us_10.png

The clue I always look for to see if there’s actually a good chance at a coastal snowstorm is the GFS. At this range, the GFS is almost always way suppressed /OTS and a miss. Then as you move closer in time it trends towards the other models. If it’s showing a big hit or a coastal hugger, that’s usually a bad sign because its correction at this range is almost always west as you draw closer to the event
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

the location of the TPV on the EPS is pretty much perfect

the blocking shifts it into SE Canada, which is a great spot to provide confluence

split flow showing up with the STJ being tapped into here

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-z500-4993600.thumb.png.aa0c2125fcba177a1b9f53b61bcdbbfa.png

Real nice look from the EPS Mean.  Now the trick is to get it to stick as we move to days 7, 5 and 3.  Up until now we've not been able to hold a decent look for more than 2-3 cycles.  If we can have the EPS mean look like this or something similar on the 12Z cycle this Sunday or Monday I might start to get more interested.  No doubt this looks good but we need to get it to hold.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wxoutlooksblog said:

Pattern on the maps for late January and beyond now starting to take on a very 1966-ish feel. Anyone else here personally remember winter 1966? 65-66?

WX/PT

Yes I do (I'm old :). Lived in Randallstown MD. for the "Blizzard of 66" as it came to be known.

• Like 2

Listen to Dr. Butler when she posts about anything ssw related. Ignore most others. She quite literally wrote the book on them. It's a possibility, just as it has been, and continues to be. Nothing more. A legitimate threat if she's even mentioning anything about it. It's also something that requires monitoring over many days worth of trends. Operational models are also worth noting due to more vertical layers then the ensembles from my understanding.

epsmean10hPa60N.png.cf55f5559630d8fedbb70f37336cc6d5.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Wxoutlooksblog said:

Pattern on the maps for late January and beyond now starting to take on a very 1966-ish feel. Anyone else here personally remember winter 1966? 65-66?

WX/PT

No but I researched it-- that was an el nino.  Our big winter was the winter after that in 1966-67, classic very hot and dry summer followed by a snowy winter!

35 minutes ago, lee59 said:

I am hearing different numbers for the longest streak in Central Park without snow. 322 days and 332 days. Apparently the longest streak is 332 days, Jan 19- Dec 15 of 2020. This would mean they have 18 more days before the longest streak is broken. That would put them into February.

I don't even understand how it could not have snowed after middle January.  There must be a measurement error somewhere.

Tomorrow will be partly sunny and unseasonably mild. Temperatures will likely reach or exceed 50° in much of the region. After another mild day on Thursday, a storm will bring rain Thursday night into Friday. Readings will remain above normal.

The lengthening measurable snow drought will persist in New York City and Philadelphia for at least several more days. The next period of interest could be January 22-24. Ensemble support for measurable snow had recently increased to moderate levels. However, the National Blend of Models shows no accumulations for New York City. A second storm could also impact the region a few days later.

A cooler pattern will likely develop during the last 5-7 days of January. The duration of this cooler period remains uncertain. Should ridging develop in the East, a warming trend could develop during in early February following a cool start to the month.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -0.3°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was -0.2°C for the week centered around January 11. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -0.37°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged -0.82°C. La Niña conditions could fade to neutral conditions during late winter or early spring.

The SOI was +1.65 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was -1.878   today.

On January 15 the MJO was in Phase 7 at an amplitude of 0.467 (RMM). The January 14-adjusted amplitude was 0.711 (RMM).

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied near 100% probability that New York City will have a warmer than normal January (1991-2020 normal). January will likely finish with a mean temperature near 40.8° (7.1° above normal).

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I don't even understand how it could not have snowed after middle January.  There must be a measurement error somewhere.

there was not much snow winter of 19-20.   There was a snow even around 1/20/20 that dropped a few inches-I think that was the last storm of that winter.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

No but I researched it-- that was an el nino.  Our big winter was the winter after that in 1966-67, classic very hot and dry summer followed by a snowy winter!

Nobody, I hope, is looking for a big winter this year. But a La Nina and an El Nino can yield a similar synoptic pattern. My words not referencing sea surface temperature anomalies but the actual jet stream and real weather outcomes.

WX/PT

• Like 1

• Rjay unpinned this topic