• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023

wdrag

We’ve had 3 months of “ best looks” and “great patterns” day 7+ and here we sit on 1/17 and NYC has a trace of snow. Total

One thing I’ve learned from watching winter weather here my whole life - of knowing nothing other than just life and experience - is to not trust anything past five days other than if a long range forecast calls for really warm or really cold.

Outside of that, it’s just educated guessing. If a temperature is within average, snow can occur if the storm track is right. The looks and patterns you speak of are just like, ok, cool, we might get an environment that’s more favorable to snow, but there’s no guarantee it will happen.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

One thing I’ve learned from watching winter weather here my whole life - of knowing nothing other than just life and experience - is to not trust anything past five days other than if a long range forecast calls for really warm or really cold.

Outside of that, it’s just educated guessing. If a temperature is within average, snow can occur if the storm track is right. The looks and patterns you speak of are just like, ok, cool, we might get an environment that’s more favorable to snow, but there’s no guarantee it will happen.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

giphy.gif

This is all true, however at some point this winter has to put up or shut up. Since November all we have been hearing about is these great snow and cold patterns and amazing setups, since then we’ve seen a 4 day arctic cold snap and its been snowless. I don’t think the end of this month looks great at all. That puts us to February and one month left of met winter. Eventually we are going to run out of time

The next 8 days are averaging     42degs.(37/47) or +9.

Month to date is     43.9[+9.8].         Should be    43.3[+9.5] by the 25th.

Reached 47 here yesterday.

Today:     44-47,  wind w., p. cloudy, 44 tomorrow AM.

Highest % for <32 in the next 16 days:    Jan. 28      0% till the 24th., except slight on Jan. 21.      Needless to say snow is going nowhere with these T's.       All the last 5 days of the month will do is kill chances to end up as warmest ever January.

1674907200-ERClssGGPSQ.png

37*(45%RH) here at 6am.       38* at 7am.      40* at 9am.         42* at Noon.      44* at 3pm.     Reached 45* at 7pm.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

That 6z run was the GFS doing its normal suppressed bias BS. No other models are suppressed. Outlier run

Yeah BUT la Ninas do typically do that. 

One thing I am keeping my eye on is this MJO wave. High amplitude phases 2 and 3 in a la Nina below.

image.png.3755420ffdb483afaae69fe9c95927d3.png

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

I know it's a long range clown map, however would be fitting for a la Nina (cutter/SE slider)

image.thumb.png.cb6117646fb79877fd4b4b6e99d13f17.png

Gfs has been spitting out some record strat warming recently. Here's the 06z. Need to see if this continues until the euro op can start picking it up too. It's within the target timeframe. In addition, the westerly QBO ones are the least predictable on modeling. Gotta keep an eye on things between now and Feb on models. 

1118687305_index(13).thumb.png.f7340e7c887558284415a66e471ad1f0.png

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

This is all true, however at some point this winter has to put up or shut up. Since November all we have been hearing about is these great snow and cold patterns and amazing setups, since then we’ve seen a 4 day arctic cold snap and its been snowless. I don’t think the end of this month looks great at all. That puts us to February and one month left of met winter. Eventually we are going to run out of time

These "non winters" have the same themes-the pattern is always 10 days+ away.   We see that on today's runs...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

You’ve been saying this since November

To be fair, December WAS a good pattern (la Ninas are typically front loaded). 

The first storm did give snow to half the forum

The second storm was wayyyy too intense and squashed our true potential which was the 3rd storm.

From 2000 through 2018 all the luck was on our side, we were just due to strike out on a fastball down the middle.

6 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

The second storm was wayyyy too intense and squashed our true potential which was the 3rd storm.

From 2000 through 2018 all the luck was on our side, we were just due to strike out on a fastball down the middle.

It's been mostly rough sledding since the epic March 2018 pattern.   Feb 2021 had 3-4 good weeks outside of that it's been some good storms but no longer lasting pattern

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

It's been mostly rough sledding since the epic March 2018 pattern.   Feb 2021 had 3-4 good weeks outside of that it's been some good storms but no longer lasting pattern

Yup. It's a shock to the system for people who were not around for periods like this from 1970 through 1999. Regression to the mean is painful!

• Like 2

Probably not going to happen. If it hasn’t happened yet, why start now? I’ve seen this movie before.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, North and West said:

Probably not going to happen. If it hasn’t happened yet, why start now? I’ve seen this movie before.

We have about 10-15 days.  If a decent pattern doesn't show up by then, it's probably not going to.  Basing this on other ratter winters like 01-02, 11-12 where the crappy pattern just continued on and on.   At least we had great springs those years.

3 hours ago, snowman19 said:

We’ve had 3 months of “ best looks” and “great patterns” day 7+ and here we sit on 1/17 and NYC has a trace of snow. Total

We have to go with historical precedent at this point so I'd say it's likely we end up with under 20 inches of snow and quite possible it's under 10 inches when the season is finished.

Of course under 5 inches if it's historically bad for snow.

30 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

We have about 10-15 days.  If a decent pattern doesn't show up by then, it's probably not going to.  Basing this on other ratter winters like 01-02, 11-12 where the crappy pattern just continued on and on.   At least we had great springs those years.

Yep, I would say it's extremely likely we end up with under 10 inches this month if we don't get a few inches this month.  That sounds obvious but that's historical precedent for this area.

Under 5 inches will become a strong possibility too.

If we don't get at least an inch this month, I don't believe we will get to 10 for the season.

1 hour ago, EastonSN+ said:

Yup. It's a shock to the system for people who were not around for periods like this from 1970 through 1999. Regression to the mean is painful!

1970-1999 (really just the 70s and 80s) were historically bad.  If that happens again it means the effects of climate change are becoming stronger and we need to expect this more often.  I do believe that by 2050 if not earlier NYC average snowfall will be in the teens and probably under 10 inches by 2080.

There is no such thing as "regression to the mean" when it comes to the climate-- it is always changing, there is no magic "mean" where it settles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EastonSN+ said:

Extremes are the new normal.

2 hours ago, wdrag said:

fwiw...two day cocorahs snowfall ending 2PM yesterday... out of our area but an idea of what that near miss Ocean storm did and moral victory who were looking for this. I think Logan had 3.5" for this event.  click for clarity.

Screen Shot 2023-01-17 at 8.28.55 AM.png

I keep asking this lol-- what kept this storm from going further west?

Not enough SE ridge?

2 hours ago, wdrag said:

fwiw...two day cocorahs snowfall ending 2PM yesterday... out of our area but an idea of what that near miss Ocean storm did and moral victory who were looking for this. I think Logan had 3.5" for this event.  click for clarity.

Screen Shot 2023-01-17 at 8.28.55 AM.png

I see a 5.5 near Plymouth that seems to be a snow peak area for them just like Monmouth County is for us lol.

• Rjay unpinned this topic