Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

2 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Pushing 60⁰ now and barely a cloud in the sky...almost ready for Spring now, screw winter at this point. My boys are tossing baseball in shorts and t-shirts like they are warming up for baseball season, in January....

Lucked out there....full on wedge here....it will eventually overcome you later today, so enjoy it now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Spanks45 said:

Pushing 60⁰ now and barely a cloud in the sky...almost ready for Spring now, screw winter at this point. My boys are tossing baseball in shorts and t-shirts like they are warming up for baseball season, in January....

I love it. Haven’t had to pay for our driveway and private road to be plowed yet and the warmth reduces the need to burn through oil. Money saved all around. 

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

RGEM actually has a nice burst of snow over the interior of MA and maybe into N CT for Friday...prob like 2-3" in higher terrain and maybe an inch or two lower down.

It's all associated with the ULL vortmax swinging through, so it's one of those things that probably won't show up on every model and every cycle....you'll just have to watch it.

10 hours ago, dryslot said:

I'll go out on a limb and say its going too..........:)

As long as 2005-06 isn't repeated.  Some guy from Corpus Christi, of all places, called the manager of Aroostook State Park (just west of PQI) in mid Feb, asking about the sledding.  The manager was a bit embarrassed to reply that it was crummy there but halfway decent father north in the St. John Valley region.  I'm not sure if a guy from south TX could comprehend that northern Maine had poor snow in mid Feb.
(The most sledding I've done, by far, came in a 2-day management plan field trip in mid March that year.  Conditions were "okay" in Fort Kent and down to Eagle Lake and points west, very tricky crossing Deboullie Pond (a bit of new snow over slush, good for trapping sleds though plenty of ice beneath the slop) and really sketchy on the day 2 ride to Perham, outside CAR.)

37 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

that EPS map was disturbing...

although I think we are going into a snowy period at least up here.

Starting to get that vibe tho - not committed to it or anything but it is sort of felt a little. 

I would never commit to it before the end of the solar min ~ Feb 10. 

Excessive warmth in January is truly eerily outre ( real word; poetically it means ‘unworldly’). You can go for walks in awe … looking around sort of up in angles … as though the homage to warm season put on by air sort of compels you look for it … to no avail of course. Everything contained inside that anachronistic state still remains dormant and ultimately … unappealing. Even ‘unhealthy’ or wrong.  

Anyway .. lots of ways to define that. For me, I’ve taken that stroll a few times. 1989 … 2007 come to mind. I’d rather not, not until after that first week of February. We escape the min and then begins an experience a little less unsettling ..Warmer sun makes it feel less weird. 

And it’s a waste otherwise… because like I said it’s not like we’re getting growth from foliage, greening lawns and the smell of lilacs. In fact I think there’s a lot of putrid aromas that start to manifest when it’s in the mid 60s to low 70s in January. Back 1989 I was doing the urban jungle thing with a drinking buddy in faux summer  Boston, and it smelled like a dumpster fire might have been in the next street over. And then in 2007.. I was going on runs in the afternoon in suburbia whence the more bucolic variant of that was like the season’s trash was left to a fetid morass … Aromas came by along the way that made you hesitate to take the next breath - while running no less. 

If it’s like that EPS complexion nearing the end of the first week of February? I definitely will have zero problem tuning out this year.  

Anyone who would prefer a cold wedge mid 40's and overcast vs 65 and sunny, I don't get. Better off moving somewhere with a worse climate and lower COL.

I don't care what the calendar is. Unless the cold is producing, I want nothing of it. 

65 sunny on Jan 4 is a huge win. Congrats to those who have it.