Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

17 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

@ORH_wxman do you know where they moved all the historical snowfall records for the major climo places? I cringe b/c of the stupid debacle in the mid 90's through early 2000's with the records, but I at leave have some of those gaps filled in from what you've provided over the years. 

BDL and ORH didn’t move them. They just didn’t report them. They often reported in individual events but not all the time. Esp the smaller ones. We were able to reconstruct ORH data pretty accurately and they now have it on the nws site (after like 15 years! Woohoo!). But BDL was never been pieced back together. I tried with BDL for some years but I wasn’t able to do all of them. 

I think PVD may have had a few missing years too but not as many as ORH and BDL. I think those two were missing 7 full winters and parts of another. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WeatherWilly said:

We have a brief-window to get this done before bermuda shorts weather returns. 

I disagree that the warmth returns. The MJO is going into phases 8-1-2, and the long range models don’t seem to be catching on. In my opinion the long range will trend significantly colder due to this.

NNE should def start making up some ground in the next 10 days. Esp those upslope areas…a lot of these little disturbances embedded in the flow will be good for 4-6” moose fart events and anything synoptic in these marginal airmasses will be fine up there. I wouldn’t be too nervous yet if I was Tblizz. If they are still looking bleak a week to 10 days from now, then I’d be worried. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

NNE should def start making up some ground in the next 10 days. Esp those upslope areas…a lot of these little disturbances embedded in the flow will be good for 4-6” moose fart events and anything synoptic in these marginal airmasses will be fine up there. I wouldn’t be too nervous yet if I was Tblizz. If they are still looking bleak a week to 10 days from now, then I’d be worried. 

Wait, everyone’s been telling me it’ll be a good time regardless :lol:

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I remember a few years back in a ratter year you had piles of snow at your place at this time of the year. This year has been bad all over so far. Let's hope things turn soon.

I definitely have never seen anything like this in my 7 or so years up here. Sure, we’ve had storms wipe out the snowpack but they were generally followed by at least some upslope within a few days. This year just feels like a never ending fall - except for the decent stretch we had in December. I have to admit, I’m not hating it nearly as much as I thought I would. I’ve probably seen over 1000” of snow since moving here, it’s ok if we take a break and I’ve actually enjoyed the skiing more than I often do this time of the year when it’s in the single digits all day - my least favorite part of New England skiing. Give me a few groomers and temps in the upper 30s and I can have a great day out there. Monday was one of those days. But it’ll be nice to have a normal winter again some day. It’s been a while!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, George001 said:

I disagree that the warmth returns. The MJO is going into phases 8-1-2, and the long range models don’t seem to be catching on. In my opinion the long range will trend significantly colder due to this.

Who are you going to believe? George or some stupid met who lives in North Carolina?

1 minute ago, alex said:

I definitely have never seen anything like this in my 7 or so years up here. Sure, we’ve had storms wipe out the snowpack but they were generally followed by at least some upslope within a few days. This year just feels like a never ending fall - except for the decent stretch we had in December. I have to admit, I’m not hating it nearly as much as I thought I would. I’ve probably seen over 1000” of snow since moving here, it’s ok if we take a break and I’ve actually enjoyed the skiing more than I often do this time of the year when it’s in the single digits all day - my least favorite part of New England skiing. Give me a few groomers and temps in the upper 30s and I can have a great day out there. Monday was one of those days. But it’ll be nice to have a normal winter again some day. It’s been a while!

Glass half full guy. I can respect that...

Kinda sucking down an IPA too quickly so looking for something to do. Anyways, this is just a thinking out loud post. And I guess I should add a declaimer...obviously there's a ton more to take into account and blah blah but the similarities are striking. 

I was looking at the current sea-surface temperature anomaly configuration and looking (I know there are program and such which run algorithms and what not) for similar matches to previous La Nina episodes:

Map of SST anomalies

Now there are several "matches" (1909-1910, 1949-1950, 1970-1971, 1973-1974, 1988-1989) but when assessing ensemble guidance regarding the evolution of the H5 pattern moving forward, one match that stuck out was 1909-1910:

SSTA's January 1910

nclJsyxBv0IwA.tmpqq.png

GEFS 8-12 day mean H5

gfs-ens_z500aMean_nhem_8.png

H5 anomalies January 1910

image.png.9bff4a2f75059ac146c509df13a64657.png

Now I don't know what snowfall was like that month or storminess (FWIW, it was a subpar season)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Looking like ORH south is F’d on Friday . 

Friday is always been iffy for Connecticut. Then again, most of these systems have been iffy for Connecticut lol.

I think for the foreseeable future the only one that looks really decent right now is next weekend. Might we have a chance this Sunday night to see a little something.... maybe. But, the chance is about as high as what we might have seen this Friday.... Which is not a lot.

We'll get through this

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

Kinda sucking down an IPA too quickly so looking for something to do. Anyways, this is just a thinking out loud post. And I guess I should add a declaimer...obviously there's a ton more to take into account and blah blah but the similarities are striking. 

I was looking at the current sea-surface temperature anomaly configuration and looking (I know there are program and such which run algorithms and what not) for similar matches to previous La Nina episodes:

Map of SST anomalies

Now there are several "matches" (1909-1910, 1949-1950, 1970-1971, 1973-1974, 1988-1989) but when assessing ensemble guidance regarding the evolution of the H5 pattern moving forward, one match that stuck out was 1909-1910:

SSTA's January 1910

nclJsyxBv0IwA.tmpqq.png

GEFS 8-12 day mean H5

gfs-ens_z500aMean_nhem_8.png

H5 anomalies January 1910

image.png.9c96d13aee5eb5c8ab23816fb01eb616.png

Now I don't know what snowfall was like that month or storminess (FWIW, it was a subpar season)

image.png

Could you post some charts with it?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s Reggie and NAM vs RAP/ Euro/GFS  for Friday PM. I didn’t think temps would be an issue in lower levels , but the globals have it  marginal south of 90. Maybe that changes tomorrow.  The way this winter has gone it’ll continue shifting north tomorrow to NNE 

Good thing ORH is north of 90.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

I'm telling you, I'm slated to head south on the 13th for Soflo for a couple weeks, it'll snow like crazy, seems like the theme for me this winter...in all seriousness, I've liked the look for Friday for a while, but feel it fading for anyone south of at least the pike and that's even sus... but next weekend looks very interesting with multiple waves to track and one that may be a region wide plowable event...of course I'll be looking at palm trees again. Maybe upon my return we'll get a nice stretch before I leave to head back again.

• Like 1