• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
"We're gonna need a bigger plow..." Massive, persistent singal now emerges discretely in the models, 20th-23rd

Typhoon Tip

Just now, Cyclone-68 said:

Seems like it’s been a while since a system affected as wide an area of the country simultaneously as this one is?

Not really...it's happened each of the past few winters. The big difference is this one is occurring during one of, if not, the busiest travel week, shipping week, etc. of the year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

This looks like sustained tropical storm force out to Rte 1 in NH seacoast. Expensive real estate, and lots of people included in that area. That's gonna cause problems.

I'm honestly more worried about the flooding into Great Bay and places like the Hampton River getting stuck and freezing in place. Even the flip to WSW winds is going to tend to slosh the water into the backside of Route 1. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Unfortunately for us non METS, what does that mean/show? 

the focus on the top was the winds...potentially sustained 30-40 mph there with gusts upwards of 70 mph. The bottom is showing substantial upward vertical motion in the DGZ which is essentially several feet above the ground. That's advertising 2-3'' per hour rates for a prolonged period. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I'm honestly more worried about the flooding into Great Bay and places like the Hampton River getting stuck and freezing in place. Even the flip to WSW winds is going to tend to slosh the water into the backside of Route 1. 

Yea. Agreed. Lots of vulnerable spots in these areas. But if I had to pick most at risk it would be Portsmouth/Kittery at the mouth of the Piscataqua. I've seen the winds rip in this area with much weaker setups, but the severe conditions usually confined to right on the coast - inside rte 1A. This situation is obviously much different.

Are there any good historical analogs?

5 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Yea. Agreed. Lots of vulnerable spots in these areas. But if I had to pick most at risk it would be Portsmouth/Kittery at the mouth of the Piscataqua. I've seen the winds rip in this area with much weaker setups, but the severe conditions usually confined to right on the coast - inside rte 1A. This situation is obviously much different.

Blizzard 78 and I think some in the 1990s,meaning severe tidal route 1 area

7 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Cleveland Super Bomb.

13 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Locally I think we're rivaling October 2017 for the LLJ, but it's a very different boundary layer environment. Obviously there wasn't any snowcover in 2017, and I think that will reduce the wind threat from max potential for the interior. 

I've been pouring over my local wind research for any insights on this one, and it's interesting to note the depth of the 925 layer at PWM. Current forecasts are ~ 620-630 m. That's not the lowest I've seen, but it's in the bottom half. The lower the height the more likely you find good wind gusts as long as your lapse rates aren't negative. 

• Like 3