Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Preliminarily ... a medium impact partial Miller B, Friday

Typhoon Tip

17 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Get yourself a capable truck, and not worry about stuff like that anymore.  You’ll never look back. 

14 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Snow tires 

AWD and I was all over the place last year too many times on any hills that had turning  with  snow cover  (had regular tires )and I had “snow mode “ it was spooky enough to say “what am I doing “ 

5 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I literally drive one mile to work, so I hear ya, but when you love winter sports as you and I do, the truck is indispensable.  The all wheel drive sedans are good, but what stops them is ground clearance. Once the snow gets too deep…it lifts them up from the underneath, and no more traction and it’s game over.  With a 4 wheel drive full size pick up(and they’re gorgeous now), that becomes almost a non issue for the most part.  You wouldn’t be worried about getting up to the slopes that’s for sure Saturday. 

Actually told my wife the other day that I might consider a truck because I’ve found with the new house there’s a lot more I could do with one.

I’ve chased virtually all my big snow events in my car without snow tires, but I know its limits. Pushed it to the max in Buffalo but made it out fine. Elevation would be very tough. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I literally drive one mile to work, so I hear ya, but when you love winter sports as you and I do, the truck is indispensable.  The all wheel drive sedans are good, but what stops them is ground clearance. Once the snow gets too deep…it lifts them up from the underneath, and no more traction and it’s game over.  With a 4 wheel drive full size pick up(and they’re gorgeous now), that becomes almost a non issue for the most part.  You wouldn’t be worried about getting up to the slopes Saturday that’s for sure. 

New trucks are going for like 70-80 grand now…. Unless you have a ton of cash sitting around, you’re talking 1000+ a month in car payment. That’s close to a mortgage payment in some cases.

I love new pickups, but definitely cost prohibitive 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TalcottWx said:

I am reading the Box AFD. They stress a lot of uncertainty. Going to be interesting in borderline areas. I need to get some sleep for work. UGH. I want more models. 

I didn’t realize you had pretty good latitude  for CT 

how wide is the valley to your East and west , wondering if down sloping is a big issue W easterly flow or not 

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

The low mileage and cost of filling tank…too rich for my blood. My outback is just fine, except I never/hate to drive in snows. Too stressful. I like hot cocoa, edibles, and being on my property with the kids. 

Lol.  I get ya. 

I have a winter hobby that has me driving long, and very challenging conditions many times, for many hrs on end, so I need it. Yes the tank is big…but the mileage now on the newer trucks is very impressive.  I have a ‘22 Ford F150 Platinum Powerboost, and it’s getting 20 plus mpg around town, and 25-27 highway.  Gorgeous and incredibly capable vehicle. 

4 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

New trucks are going for like 70-80 grand now…. Unless you have a ton of cash sitting around, you’re talking 1000+ a month in car payment. That’s close to a mortgage payment in some cases.

It’s more than my mortgage payment. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

When you’re the winterwolf, a 90k pickup is a small bite.

• Haha 5

10 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Find something 3-4yrs old, I'll be in the mkt next year for an upgrade from my 05 Duramax.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Lol.  I get ya. 

I have a winter hobby that has me driving long, and very challenging conditions many times, for many hrs on end, so I need it. Yes the tank is big…but the mileage now on the newer trucks is very impressive.  I have a ‘22 Ford F150 Platinum Powerboost, and it’s getting 20 plus mpg around town, and 25-27 highway.  Gorgeous and incredibly capable vehicle. 

That’s a no brainer if you need the power and height. I’ve been in some nice trucks with some of my team in GA. They’re everywhere down there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

When you’re the winterwolf, a 90k pickup is a small bite.

Lmao.…:lol: too funny. 

I’ve always been a vehicle guy, and love trucks. The versatility is amazing…and with sledding, and towing a trailer into big winter time weather, a truck is a necessity for me. But ya they are getting very expensive. So I get the point completely. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Actually up off west ridge rd.   Like a whole street of houses above 2500' . Maybe a bunch got grandfathered in.

Yup I was up there and had my elevation app on and it said 2540 or so and was like how did this happen . That one road is a nice flat plateau And part backs up to a trail . There was even a new construction on a lot there 2-3 years ago .

43 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I literally drive one mile to work, so I hear ya, but when you love winter sports as you and I do, the truck is indispensable.  The all wheel drive sedans are good, but what stops them is ground clearance. Once the snow gets too deep…it lifts them up from the underneath, and no more traction and it’s game over.  With a 4 wheel drive full size pick up(and they’re gorgeous now), that becomes almost a non issue for the most part.  You wouldn’t be worried about getting up to the slopes Saturday that’s for sure. 

In the 92 storm my brother-in-law and I took a ride to a high spot in Charlton, the snow was so high his Toyota Tacoma 4 WD got stuck the snow was so deep. I think you needed a monster truck to get through some spots in that storm.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Actually up off west ridge rd.   Like a whole street of houses above 2500' . Maybe a bunch got grandfathered in.

Yeah, I think that was some of what drove the rule change. There were also some issues in the Phenn Basin on Camel’s Hump with logging and trails. 

• Like 1

Latest NAM and GFS are definitely teetering on blue bomb around here (big totals could be mitigated somewhat by crappy snow growth at times though). HRRR torchy. Euro somewhere in the middle. Looking at the low level cross sections it's mostly below freezing at 950 mb at GYX, would struggle at times for PWM. 

On its face though, the NAM and GFS are pretty classic crosshair signature for PWM. Hard to argue that 6+ isn't at least being discussed at the table if not being served.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Latest NAM and GFS are definitely teetering on blue bomb around here (big totals could be mitigated somewhat by crappy snow growth at times though). HRRR torchy. Euro somewhere in the middle. Looking at the low level cross sections it's mostly below freezing at 950 mb at GYX, would struggle at times for PWM. 

On its face though, the NAM and GFS are pretty classic crosshair signature for PWM. Hard to argue that 6+ isn't at least being discussed at the table if not being served.

I feel like that’s true up and down route 2 down here as well