• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Preliminarily ... a medium impact partial Miller B, Friday

Typhoon Tip

Obviously we are all aware ...  this has been out there for 10 days at this point. This is also a bit of a continuation over the thread now scrolled that began coverage as a risk assessment this week.  It's stuck around and here we go.

The question, what?

There are 2 aspects that are in conflict, and I suspect that has manifested in these large scale synoptic fluctuations that have occurred, sometimes upon single run cycles, over the past week.  Not just as it pertains to this storm, but the entirety of the circulation.    

1 .. a well-coupled La Nina base state with the Pacific and how it influences the behavior of the PNA --> PNAP this autumn is notable.

2 .. Asynchronous to that basal flow tendency, we are seeing an obscene amount of blocking over all quadrants of the polar hemisphere. 

The tandem of those two disparate forcing pretty much puts us exactly where we've been with this system, uncertainty that ranges from a major to minor impacts, or what can be imagined in between.  Yet, 'some' kind of any event has persisted through those modulations.

In the end, this ... 

image.png.4d80541f50c675d1e0cea13579fed03b.png

combined with a this ...

image.png.7ff268ad04944e8694cba9b25fa45503.png

tends to produce.  That and the persistence for an event at all, lends confidence in an event - above normal.  

There's a huge amount of uncertain as to what form the storm will really take.   My feeling is that a moderate commitment to Miller B will be forced E of a European guidance track.  I am paying particular attention to that regression in the NAO you see after 4 days from now ( curved line annotated on that graph is kind of ugly...).. That's important.  There is a precedence this recent two week of blocking for 'pulsing' in both the EPO and NAO domains.  The behavior you see there has some trended merit, and there in is the tricky part.  There is in fact Baffin Isle/regional -NAO pulsation, as this storm will be riding toward our latitudes.   

That does not teleconnect to storms going W of Logan.   Can it happen?  Yup.  Is it likely?  Less so...

I'm thinking this is not a major event, but is the first one that offers a synoptic snow threat ... Preliminary for that would be briefly N-W of PHL... perhaps longer as it moves N, N-W up the I-95 corridor ... NW of HFD-ASH has the best shot for snow.  Should this need to be adjusted E over this week, don't be surprised.   

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Obviously we are all aware ...  this has been out there for 10 days at this point. This is also a bit of a continuation over the thread now scrolled that began coverage as a risk assessment this week.  It's stuck around and here we go.

The question, what?

There are 2 aspects that are in conflict, and I suspect that has manifested in these large scale synoptic fluctuations that have occurred, sometimes upon single run cycles, over the past week.  Not just as it pertains to this storm, but the entirety of the circulation.    

1 .. a well-coupled La Nina base state with the Pacific and how it influences the behavior of the PNA --> PNAP this autumn is notable.

2 .. Asynchronous to that basal flow tendency, we are seeing an obscene amount of blocking over all quadrants of the polar hemisphere. 

The tandem of those two disparate forcing pretty much puts us exactly where we've been with this system, uncertainty that ranges from a major to minor impacts, or what can be imagined in between.  Yet, 'some' kind of any event has persisted through those modulations.

In the end, this ... 

image.png.4d80541f50c675d1e0cea13579fed03b.png

combined with a this ...

image.png.7ff268ad04944e8694cba9b25fa45503.png

tends to produce.  That and the persistence for an event at all, lends confidence in an event - above normal.  

There's a huge amount of uncertain as to what form the storm will really take.   My feeling is that a moderate commitment to Miller B will be forced E of a European guidance track.  I am paying particular attention to that regression in the NAO you see after 4 days from now ( curved line annotated on that graph is kind of ugly...).. That's important.  There is a precedence this recent two week of blocking for 'pulsing' in both the EPO and NAO domains.  The behavior you see there has some trended merit, and there in is the tricky part.  There is in fact Baffin Isle/regional -NAO pulsation, as this storm will be riding toward our latitudes.   

That does not teleconnect to storms going W of Logan.   Can it happen?  Yup.  Is it likely?  Less so...

I'm thinking this is not a major event, but is the first one that offers a synoptic snow threat ... Preliminary for that would be briefly N-W of PHL... perhaps longer as it moves N, N-W up the I-95 corridor ... NW of HFD-ASH has the best shot for snow.  This is have to be adjusted E over this week, don't be surprised.   

One of the things interesting in GYX discussion today was the majority of ensemble members hinting at more than 1.5"qpf.  So could this be a slow moving storm, but just not a windy bomb?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mahk_webstah said:

One of the things interesting in GYX discussion today was the majority of ensemble members hinting at more than 1.5"qpf.  So could this be a slow moving storm, but just not a windy bomb?

That’s not a bad interpretation … no. 

I noticed the 18 z GFS backed of intensity a little - the low ends up more E. It’s probably related.  

It’s negatively tilted 

Its likely slowing as it attempts to move past.  

Those would tend produce by virtue of maximizing mechanics over duration … But we don’t want it to get so weak that it doesn’t matter. It all to comes down to what ejects out of the trough as it’s moving through the Midwest and starts smearing out under the block.  I don’t believe the models are really going to have a very good handle on that until maybe tomorrow night.  Seems like more could be delivered given the size and depth of that beast, though… which could conserve more of that momentum by winding it up in a stronger lead short wave injection for example. 

• Like 2

Just now, Snowcrazed71 said:

It's been known too out shine the big boys every so often. Not holding my breath though ( although I believe it was the storm of 2013 where the NAM was the only What putting out big snow totals. In the end it was correct )

It did well in 2016…when all the other modeling had the mid Atlantic blizzard staying south, it was the first to show it getting snow up in here. It was right on that.  It scores a coup every now and then. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

It's been known too out shine the big boys every so often. Not holding my breath though ( although I believe it was the storm of 2013 where the NAM was the only What putting out big snow totals. In the end it was correct )

It also often leads the charge with mid-level warming so if it's holding back on that I'm interested.

• Like 3