Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Met Winter 2022-2023 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

7 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I watched Madoff on Netflix. Everyone should. He was the scapegoat but what a huge fail all around. Unfortunately, something like this will happen again. 

There are likely dozens of Madoff scale frauds out there right now. A decade of low interest rates, easy money and massive speculation is a perfect incubator. If the Fed follows through with keeping rates high and forcing a recession this year, we’ll find out who’s been swimming naked. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Hoth said:

There are likely dozens of Madoff scale frauds out there right now. A decade of low interest rates, easy money and massive speculation is a perfect incubator. If the Fed follows through with keeping rates high and forcing a recession this year, we’ll find out who’s been swimming naked. 

The SEC got tipped off about Madoff many themes but were incompetent or looked the other way . 

It’s so common for former private industry executives to “due their time “ (stint at regulator) that there is a revolving door and sort of fox guarding hen house situation in many industries that have not made it illegal for this practice . 

I mean , if there is a absolute focus on maximizing industry profits , it’s sort of the natural progression of things to try and neutralize any threats that stand in the way , and if laws don’t forbid it, eventually regulators are either defunded ,  filled with toothless former private industry executives  , at least to the degree where regulation and consumer protections are weakened .

• Sad 1

...Old School radio broadcast, "Storm" read by William Conrad, over the air in 1956.

Storm is a novel written by George Rippey Stewart and published in 1941. The book became a best-seller and helped lead to the naming of tropical cyclones worldwide, even though the titular storm is extratropical. The book is divided into twelve chapters: one chapter for each day of the storm's existence.

In January 1935, a cyclone develops in the Pacific Ocean near Japan, and becomes a significant storm as it moves toward California. The storm, named "Maria" by the (unnamed) Junior Meteorologist at the San Francisco Weather Bureau Office, becomes a blizzard that threatens the Sierra Nevada range with snowfall amounts of 20 feet (6.1 m). The storm's beneficial effects include averting a locust plague and ending a drought. Its harmful effects include flooding a valley near Sacramento, endangering a plane, stalling a train, and leading to the deaths of 16 people. It spawns a new cyclone, which significantly affects New York

• Like 1

For any CT peeps who may watch WTNH this was my roommate from school and one of my best friends. Pretty awesome he had the opportunity to work on TV in the state he grew up in. 

https://patch.com/connecticut/across-ct/ct-meteorologist-makes-career-announcement?utm_campaign=blasts&utm_content=connecticut&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&fbclid=IwAR3SCRMLAEVYXQjMvNxiOuATaf4fGE76_xeoKjW-CeWOQ36wNO383onMKv0&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

• Like 2

On 1/5/2023 at 9:59 AM, STILL N OF PIKE said:

The SEC got tipped off about Madoff many themes but were incompetent or looked the other way . 

It’s so common for former private industry executives to “due their time “ (stint at regulator) that there is a revolving door and sort of fox guarding hen house situation in many industries that have not made it illegal for this practice . 

I mean , if there is a absolute focus on maximizing industry profits , it’s sort of the natural progression of things to try and neutralize any threats that stand in the way , and if laws don’t forbid it, eventually regulators are either defunded ,  filled with toothless former private industry executives  , at least to the degree where regulation and consumer protections are weakened .

Harry Markopolis was a hedge fund guy in Boston and he told the SEC like 5 times it was either a Ponzi scheme or front-trading and they basically ignored him even though he had all the mathematics to back it up based off of Madoff’s returns.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Harry Markopolis was a hedge fund guy in Boston and he told the SEC like 5 times it was either a Ponzi scheme or front-trading and they basically ignored him even though he had all the mathematics to back it up based off of Madoff’s returns.  

Yes and what’s laughable is his own bosses wanted him to replicate the math so they can attract clients while the whole time he’s telling them it is not possible, it’s a scam. “Who cares, figure out so we can make that kind of money.” Lol

• Like 1

Any CT peeps watching NBC30 this morning? The meteorologist  was a fill in I haven’t seen before, almost seemed like a national network guy, didn’t have any locales besides Hartford on his map and I think he was working remotely he wasn’t in the studio, probably just me but I hadn’t seen anything like before on local channels here

19 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yes and what’s laughable is his own bosses wanted him to replicate the math so they can attract clients while the whole time he’s telling them it is not possible, it’s a scam. “Who cares, figure out so we can make that kind of money.” Lol

Oh yeah. It’s embarrassing how much they were solely focused on the $$. It’s hard to wrap my head around the SEC having all the evidence gift-wrapped for them but didn’t take the one final step in actually checking to see if the trades were real.

Gotta hand it to Madoff on how authentic everything looked though. That’s prob why the SEC didn’t get him much sooner. They were prob thinking “ok these trade tickets are real”. 

The most mind-boggling aspect though is how successful Madoff was at his legitimate market-making business. You’d think that would’ve been enough success and $$. But greed knows no bounds. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Oh yeah. It’s embarrassing how much they were solely focused on the $$. It’s hard to wrap my head around the SEC having all the evidence gift-wrapped for them but didn’t take the one final step in actually checking to see if the trades were real.

Gotta hand it to Madoff on how authentic everything looked though. That’s prob why the SEC didn’t get him much sooner. They were prob thinking “ok these trade tickets are real”. 

The most mind-boggling aspect though is how successful Madoff was at his legitimate market-making business. You’d think that would’ve been enough success and $$. But greed knows no bounds. 

Yea. The fact he kept the two businesses just two floors apart and no one in the legit business really knew what was happening on the 17th floor is another mind boggling yet tip your cap to Madoff. 

12 hours ago, Johnno said:

Any CT peeps watching NBC30 this morning? The meteorologist  was a fill in I haven’t seen before, almost seemed like a national network guy, didn’t have any locales besides Hartford on his map and I think he was working remotely he wasn’t in the studio, probably just me but I hadn’t seen anything like before on local channels here

Was it the Brian James dude? Saw him at New Years and he did a pretty good job for a fill in.

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Just down the road, really weird. That’s an affluent town that has had some weird stuff go on. 

Yup, very strange. We do a lot of stuff up in that area so I’m pretty familiar with where they have been searching.

Have seen some stuff starting to percolate about the potential of her being a Russian spy/foreign operative. Given what we have seen so far, I think this has legs.

39 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yup, very strange. We do a lot of stuff up in that area so I’m pretty familiar with where they have been searching.

Have seen some stuff starting to percolate about the potential of her being a Russian spy/foreign operative. Given what we have seen so far, I think this has legs.

Husband was a swindler.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I love that area, if I was a millionaire lol. 
That’s an interesting twist you mention. Could see how that’s possible. 

46 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Husband was a swindler.

24 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I love that area, if I was a millionaire lol. 
That’s an interesting twist you mention. Could see how that’s possible. 

Yeah, he was a scumbag, but lots of white collar stuff. Big jump to possibly harming your spouse.

On 1/7/2023 at 2:07 PM, ORH_wxman said:

Hmmmm, I’m not leaning toward that as being the main reason .  I do not think they are organized , set up or funded with the resources to do what it seems they are supposed to do , successfully and Wall Street likes it that way .

On 1/5/2023 at 9:59 AM, STILL N OF PIKE said:

My firm's due diligence committee looked at him several times but could never get enough data or make any sense of their strategy. We had thousands of reps asking to put Madoff on our platform and each time the DD decided on not allowing it. Days after the scheme was broken up the DD office was flooded with gifts and lots of praise and thanks from lots and lots of advisors. 

• Like 2