Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England Met Winter 2022-2023 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

On 1/9/2023 at 8:06 PM, ROOSTA said:

My siblings want me to move back N. Thinking it might be best course of action to take at this juncture.
Sucks getting old.
To all responders a heart-felt expression of gratitude and thanks.
It's all in the big-guys hands.

Damn Don-you've had a rough go!  Come home where your loved ones can be with you and you with them.  Also, I am SURE the ability to get the best care for yourself is better in Boston vs FL.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Damn Don-you've had a rough go!  Come home where your loved ones can be with you and you with them.  Also, I am SURE the ability to get the best care for yourself is better in Boston vs FL.

It is. MA is highly ranked in healthcare while FL is poorly ranked. Regardless, I hope the young lad gets well. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

One of my biggest regrets when my parents got sick and passed in 2015 was that I couldn’t get them back up here. I trust Dartmouth or UVMMC much more than the hospitals they were at in GA and FL. 

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

OMG, I saw that yesterday!  LMAO

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Unilad... it should be called UNLAID! People with too much time on their hands

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am just posting this here because I trust (many) people's thoughts and opinions on different stuff besides weather.   

My parents are at a point where they don't move around as they used to (mom in her 80's, dad in his 90's), and they need help for everyday chores, and activities in and around their house. ...A driver to take them to appointments...Someone to do chores...and possibly a cook.  They are determined to stay in their house for as long as possible, trying to avoid elder care living facilities. 

My mom has spent a few weeks talking to various people from different elder care service providers, and it has been nothing short of exhausting, hellish, and ultimately not what they are looking for.  The people come in and want these long term contracts, and spend a bunch of time talking, and giving out referrals, which lead to more of the same....all of them tied into some company, etc. that really just wants deposit money, contracts, etc.  In the end, nothing happens...no errands run, no driving, no cooking of food, just blah, blah, blah, and they go to bed tired and frustrated.

I know this is kind of a niche thing, but I am looking to see if any others have had similar situations with loved ones, and if you were able to find people to do this kind of work, without getting into the whole corporate thing.  Almost like a Craig's List for elder help, but with more vetting of the individuals if possible.   I have heard stories about people getting lucky with that college student who takes these kinds of tasks on as a part time job while studying. 

Thanks. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

I am just posting this here because I trust (many) people's thoughts and opinions on different stuff besides weather.   

Are they in town with you?

Go to town/city elder services.  Those people are on point and a wealth of knowledge.  It's all they do.  

It's not an easy time in life.  I hope you can find help.

3 hours ago, Southshorewx said:

Are they in town with you?

Go to town/city elder services.  Those people are on point and a wealth of knowledge.  It's all they do.  

It's not an easy time in life.  I hope you can find help.

No. They are not local, but 90 minutes away. Not in a spot where I can be there everyday. 

They have gone through the elder services in their town and it's not what it is cracked up to be. Unfortunately that is where all of the corporate and other types came from ...all of these types looking for deposits on services, and seemingly empty promises....Most keep pushing them to go into assisted living homes which they are not looking to do.  

Just like evething else it seems to be a racket.

14 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

No. They are not local, but 90 minutes away. Not in a spot where I can be there everyday. 

They have gone through the elder services in their town and it's not what it is cracked up to be. Unfortunately that is where all of the corporate and other types came from ...all of these types looking for deposits on services, and seemingly empty promises....Most keep pushing them to go into assisted living homes which they are not looking to do.  

Just like evething else it seems to be a racket.

They’re in Southbury? Or is that your girl? Anyway, I know what you mean but I don’t have any answers. I’ll ask my wifey if she knows any smaller based services. 

6 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Ha, didn't know that. We lived on new boston rd from 2004-2009.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Walker Pond for me.  Bottom of New Boston has a new hotel and a Panera now.  Brewery and rec dispensary in town, 2 sushi joints, BTs smokehouse, 5 minutes from Treehouse - town got significantly better after I left.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/13/2023 at 1:25 PM, Modfan2 said:

Looking for suggestions for snow tubing, friend in from FL. Ward Hill typically would be closest go to but not sure after rain; western Ma???

https://berkshireeast.com/winter/snow-tubing-park?gclid=CjwKCAiA5Y6eBhAbEiwA_2ZWIfehrTm6NCdhBbuGNtNlyBQuDkJuqT8uHiEA3wPexDhOHODTKC5KWxoCRhAQAvD_BwE

• Like 1