Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter Thread

Rjay

1 minute ago, North and West said:

giphy.gif

Lee Goldberg thinks it might happen....

Are you watching Ch 7?

In the last update he said to expect the pattern to change after Jan 20, and we get colder and get snowier with clippers headed our way.

At this point I'm sick and tired of coastals raining so clippers are fine by me.

Lee Goldberg thinks it might happen....
Are you watching Ch 7?
In the last update he said to expect the pattern to change after Jan 20, and we get colder and get snowier with clippers headed our way.
At this point I'm sick and tired of coastals raining so clippers are fine by me.

I mean, it’s a coin flip, so

• Like 2

On 1/9/2023 at 4:24 PM, Rjay said:

Take a road trip

Greater Lake Tahoe Area-
Including the cities of South Lake Tahoe, Truckee, Stateline,
and Incline Village
456 AM PST Mon Jan 9 2023

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 AM PST
WEDNESDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy wet snow. Total snow accumulations through late
  Tuesday night of 1 to 2 feet, except 2 to 5 feet above 7000
  feet. Wind gusts up to 50 mph with exposed ridges gusting in
  excess of 130 mph at times. Waves up to 4 feet on Lake Tahoe.

* WHERE...Greater Lake Tahoe Area.

* WHEN...Until 4 AM PST Wednesday.

Capture 1-12-23.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Agreed but how can you still be surprised by a snowstorm?

lol probably can't....I think Boxing Day was a surprise when it showed up on the models like that.

More cases of being surprised when a snowstorm that was forecast doesn't happen though....like March 2001 or January 2008.

January 2015 was somewhat of a surprise because of the big forecasts that didn't work out.

But I guess that's about it-- getting surprised happens less now because the short range models (within 48 hour forecasts) are usually really good.

You remember how often we got surprised back in the 80s and 90s (and usually not in the good way lol-- though there were a few of those too).

Been thinking about what would be the polar (no pun intended) opposite of the warm winter run we've had recently.  Suppose we were having below normal weather in July which were to balance out what's been going on here this month.  What would that look like?  Does dry with high 60s with occasional mid 50s in July sound about right?

1 hour ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Thunder on January 12th.  Grrrrrrrreat.  Not part of some significant storm, not thundersnow, nothing dramatic -  just a regular ol' passing evening thundershower, as if we're in July.

The highest single thundershower event I received in July was .17”. Todays thundershower had .22”.  January thunderstorm season is better so far.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Been thinking about what would be the polar (no pun intended) opposite of the warm winter run we've had recently.  Suppose we were having below normal weather in July which were to balance out what's been going on here this month.  What would that look like?  Does dry with high 60s with occasional mid 50s in July sound about right?

If I'm not mistaken, the average high is around 39 for the city right now, and in July at this time about 85.  So let's say we have a 50 degree day now, that's +11, so -11 in July would be 74.

• Like 1

Sorry for the meltdown
What a disaster this winter is so far

I love your enthusiasm. It balances out the negativity. As someone who doesn’t understand the pretty colors on the maps people share (I was told there would be no math), I always assume the actual outcome will be somewhere in the middle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• BxEngine locked and unpinned this topic